[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1684

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 13:58:08 UTC 2018

November 21, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              It appears we will have a good turnout for the 2018 Christmas
Board Retreat which will be held at Rocky Bottom the weekend of November 30,
December 1, and December 2.  Upon your arrival to Rocky Bottom Friday
evening November 30, please stop by the Resident Manager's apartment and
Linda Bible will notify you of your room assignment for the weekend.  We
will do all we can to provide comfortable sleeping accommodations for
everyone, however, we are expecting approximately forty individuals for the
weekend and therefore, all of us need to be understanding and demonstrate a
spirit of good will during the brief time we will be at Rocky Bottom.
Breakfast on Saturday morning, December 1, will be served at 8:30, lunch at
1:00 p.m., and the Christmas dinner at 6:30 p.m.  On Sunday morning,
December 2, breakfast will be served at 8:30.  Remember, if you wish to
participate in the Christmas gift exchange Saturday evening, ladies will
need to bring a ladies' gift and men will need to bring a men's gift.  The
cost of the Christmas gift should be a minimum of $10.  Also, please
remember to bring baked goods such as cakes and cookies so that we have a
large variety of Christmas desserts to sample for our Christmas celebration
Saturday evening.  Additionally, we are asking each board member and chapter
president who will be attending the Board Retreat, to contribute such items
as toothbrushes, toothpaste, Kleenex, shower jell, shampoo, lady's and men's
socks, and candy.  These will be placed in gift bags and will be donated  to
residents of a small assistive living facility located in Pickens which is
owned and operated by Jimmie Masters a member of the RBRCCB Advisory Board.

              We have an announcement from Chris Danielsen, Public
Information Director of the national Federation of the Blind.  "The holiday
season is fast approaching. Once again, the National Federation of the Blind
is helping Santa Claus send letters in Braille to young blind children
across the country.

              More than ten years ago, Santa asked us to be his honorary
elves. Ever since, we've been helping him send letters in contracted Braille
to blind boys and girls who are ten years old and younger in the United
States. Along with the Braille letter, Santa includes a print letter so that
parents who might not read Braille can follow along. He also includes a fun
tactile coloring sheet.

             Requests can be made from November 12, 2018, through December
14, 2018. To make a request, fill out the online form located at
https://nfb.org/santa-letters.  Remember, requests must be received no later
than December 14 so that Santa's letter will arrive before Christmas.  We
wish all of you a joyful holiday season!"

             I am sad to report to all of you Mrs. Pearl Riley, who is a
longtime member of the Columbia Chapter, her mother, Viola Martin passed
away on Friday, November 16 and the funeral services will be held on
Wednesday, November 21st at twelve noon at the Brookland Baptist Church in
West Columbia.  Let's make sure we keep Pearl and her family in our thoughts
and prayers.

              Finally, I want to take this opportunity to wish you and your
family a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving.  Let's take a few minutes
Thursday to reflect on God's blessings and give thanks for our families, our
country, and to our organization, the National Federation of the Blind, who
is working very hard to make it possible for blind people to live the life
they want!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Happy Thanksgiving.   I'm sure all of us observe the
Thanksgiving season, although in different ways.  A lot of people visit
their relatives during the extended Thanksgiving weekend.  Our son Craig has
invited us to have Thanksgiving for us this Wednesday and we are
reciprocating on Thanksgiving Day.  Thanksgiving is very important as it
focuses on our many blessings which we too often take for granted.  I
remember my first Thanksgiving was in 1939 when I was a student at the SC
School for the Blind.  I remember most of the students were going home for
Thanksgiving but I was among the very few who lived too far to go home as I
grew up in the Mullins area.  I believe there was one occasion when I was
home with one of my friends at School and that was a real treat.  People
tend not only to give generously at Christmas time but Thanksgiving is also
a time of giving.  For several years now, the Harvest Church in Lexington
has sponsored a Thanksgiving dinner held at the Federation Center.  Every
description of food is served including turkey and ham and many other
delicacies.  As the years run by our responsibilities develop.  In 1949
Betty and I were married and for some years we looked forward to getting
away from work to visit our relatives in Marion and Mullins.  This changed
when our responsibilities to the NFB board met every Thanksgiving in another
state.  I believe my first Thanksgiving to be held out of state for an NFB
board meeting would be the Thanksgiving in 1959.  In July of 1959, just a
few months earlier, I was first elected to the NFB board and attending board
meetings were very important.  I remember the one in 1959 as it was our
first airplane flight and we went into a storm over St. Louis, delaying our
landing which seemed to be an eternity as I don't like flying.  Our children
were born in the 1950's and we did not like leaving our children back home
but we secured two sisters, Aunt Lela and Aunt Mattie, who were two of the
nicest sister you'll ever meet.  From 1968, the year our NFB Founder Dr.
tenBroek passed away, Dr. Jernigan was elected NFB President and I was
elected NFB Second Vice President.  Dr. Jernigan was the Director of the
Iowa Commission for the Blind and he was in that post for 20 years,
1958-1978.  During that ten year period all board meetings were held in Des
Monies during the Thanksgiving holiday.  In 1978 Dr. Jernigan moved to
Baltimore, MD where he established the NFB Center.  He remained in Baltimore
20 years, 1978-1998 when he passed away.  I attended all NFB board meetings
from 1959-2011 when I retired.  From 1978-2011, all of that time, NFB board
meetings were held in Baltimore every Thanksgiving.  I deeply appreciate the
blessings I continue to receive from my NFB involvement on a local,
statewide and national basis.  In conclusion I appreciate the dedication of
all our members which makes the NFB such a great organization.

Final Thought:  Thanksgiving:   gratitude, acknowledgment, appreciativeness,
gratefulness, honor, praise, responsiveness, and acknowledgment.