[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1677

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 3 12:47:43 UTC 2018

October 3, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As we begin October, Meet the Blind Month appears to be in
full swing.  We have an announcement from the SC State Library's Talking
Book Services regarding a special event occurring later this month.  "The
South Carolina State Library's Talking Book Services will host an author
talk by Michael Hingson for Blindness Awareness Month on October 18, 2018.
Hingson, a blind survivor of the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center, will
tell his life story and detail how he and his guide dog made it out of the
Twin Towers alive. His talk begins at 6:00 p.m., with a reception opening at
5:00 p.m. and a book signing afterward.

Who is Michael Hingson?

              On September 11, 2001, a blind man escaped the World Trade
Center by walking down 78 flights of stairs with his guide dog. Days later,
America fell in love with Mike and Roselle and the special bond that helped
them both survive one of the country's darkest days. Following the 9/11
tragedy, Michael was featured on the Larry King show five times. According
to King, "Michael Hingson is an international hero honored and awarded by
top organizations worldwide." He now travels the world as a keynote and
inspirational speaker who can motivate audiences to action. He has also put
his experience in a book called Thunder Dog (DB 73300) which is available
from us and downloadable from BARD.  This program is free and open to the
public. Registration is required because seating is limited.

Date: Thursday, October 18, 2018 Time:5:00PM - 7:30PM Campus: South Carolina
State Library Location: First Floor.  Limited seating is still available.
Go to the below link to register:
https://statelibrary.sc.libcal.com/event/4422232.

              We have two very important announcements from our national
President, Mark Riccobono which appeared in this week's President's
Notebook.  "After almost a decade of negotiations, drafting, and advocacy,
the Marrakesh Treaty is closer than ever before to becoming a reality in the
United States. On Tuesday September 25, 2018, at 7:19 p.m. EST, the US House
of Representatives unanimously passed the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation
Act (S. 2559). The bill will now go to the president for his signature. This
is a major victory for the members of the National Federation of the Blind;
because of our hard work, soon blind people all across the globe will enjoy
a vast collection of accessible materials. Special thanks to Scott LaBarre
who has been serving as the principal negotiator on the Federation's behalf
for all of these years. Read our press release about this tremendous
development at
https://nfb.org/us-house-representatives-passes-marrakesh-treaty-implementat
ion-act.

             National Federation of the Blind Night at Camden Yards:  The
Orioles organization dedicated the September 18 game to the National
Federation of the Blind in honor of our forty-year anniversary in Baltimore.
Our members passed out Braille alphabet cards and the Orioles player and
coach jerseys had the names in Braille. One of those shirts will be sent to
the Baseball Hall of Fame and the rest were auctioned off, with the proceeds
coming to our national office. I was honored to throw out the first pitch."

              This is a reminder there will be s second teleconference call
on October 9 at 7:00 p.m. to discuss updated information regarding
transportation arrangements for those additional individuals who are still
interested in attending the 2019 NFB national convention in Las Vegas.  The
call in number is (862) 902-0241.  The access code is 358-8716.

              As all of you recall, Hazel Arms, a member of our Greenville
Chapter and a long time Federationist, passed away on June 5, of this year.
Visitation for Hazel will be held on Sunday, October 7, from 2:00 to 2:45
p.m. with the memorial service following at 3:00.  Services will be held at
the Thomas McAfee Funeral home Northwest Chapel, 6710 White Horse rd.,
Greenville, SC 29611.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we are spotlighting another longtime federationist
who has served and continues to serve the blind in many ways.  I am speaking
of Patricia Tuck who has resided in Greenville for the past few years.
Patricia was born in 1941 and was raised in the Jacksonville, Florida area.
She attended the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind in St. Augustine.
Once she completed high school she continued her education at St. John's
River College (St. John's River runs from south to north through the
Jacksonville area) where she took general college courses and majored in
Spanish.  After receiving her Associates degree, she attained to her
Bachelor's degree at the University of Florida in Gainesville; again
majoring in Education and Spanish.  Patricia Tuck used her Spanish by
working with missionaries in South America.  She then worked two years at
the SC Commission for the Blind in Greenville but then achieved her Master's
degree at Western Michigan University where she studied Rehabilitation
Teaching.  Following this accomplishment, Patricia Tuck again worked with
the SC Commission for the Blind for over 25 years until she retired.  She
did rehabilitation teaching and loved it.   After that she moved back to
Florida for a time operating a Hot Chili Peppers Chihuahua Kennel where she
raised and sold Chihuahuas. I recruited her and she was very active in the
Greenville Chapter, holding several chapter offices including President.
Patricia was involved in growing chapter membership, legislative advocacy
and she tells me she has attended most national conventions until recent
years and every state convention.  This includes her tine living in
Jacksonville, Florida where she served in official capacities and she even
served as Secretary of the NFB's national Deaf/Blind Division.  She has
attended two senior blind camps and although she broke her leg earlier, she
plans to attend the Spring Senior Camp as her leg should be well mended.
Outside the federation, Patricia is a member of Westminster Presbyterian
Church which is across the street from where she lives.  She attends Sunday
services, the Women's group and is active in various church and senior
events.  She is Vice President of the NFB of SC Greenville Chapter and
collected three loads of items for their recent Yard Sale fundraiser.  She
always wants to help wherever she can.  Let's salute Patricia Tuck for her
outstanding service to the blind and others.

Final Thought:  "When Autumn falls, so do the leaves, the temperatures and
the sound of candy going into Halloween trick or treat bags."