[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1678

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 10 12:56:56 UTC 2018

October 10, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              We have an announcement from Thom Spittle, President of the
Computer Science and Technology Division.  "The Computer Science &
Technology Division of the NFB of SC will be holding a workshop this
Saturday, October 13, 2018, at the Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S.
Kilbourne Road Columbia, SC, from 10am to noon.  This is a free workshop.
This workshop will focus on the Seeing AI app for IOS, but there will be
plenty of time to get help on any tech related issues you may have.  If you
have any questions, or would like us to hold a spot for  you at the
workshop, call 803-402-3526, and leave your name and a contact number.  See
you there."

              We have an announcement from Debra Canty, President of the
Sumter chapter regarding her chapter's Meet the Blind month activities.
"The Sumter Chapter members were involved as we introduced ourselves to the
community, raised blind awareness at the Sumter County Fair and was given
information on other people who are blind and offer them information as
well. We offered information on blindness, offered bus fund tickets, gave
away candy, brochures, Braille cards, Kernel books, chapter information and
we met so many people interested in our display of blind paraphernalia.
Kudos to Lee and Laura James for decorating the informative fair booth on
blindness. There were (30) members that attended church last Sunday, where
Herbert Boykin raised blind awareness during the morning service. Another
area church invited us to their Wednesday evening program and Jan Lewis
demonstrated technology and shared how she lives the life she wants. We plan
to be out and about in the community and especially during October observing
blind awareness month."

              As state president, I appreciate those individuals and
chapters who have notified me regarding their chapter's Meet the Blind Month
activity and I will continue to share this information in future Positive
Notes.  As I have already stated previously, a Meet the Blind Month activity
is a great way to educate the public about blindness and to recruit new
members to your chapter.

              Governor McMaster has proclaimed October 15, 2018, as White
Cane Safety Day.  Below, is his proclamation:

"State of South Carolina - Governor's Proclamation

WHEREAS, the white cane is a simple yet effective tool of independence that
contributes to the self-sufficiency of the blind and visually impaired and
symbolizes their ability to achieve a full and independent life and their
capacity to work productively in competitive employment; and

WHEREAS, the white cane is a symbol of dignity and determination as well as
a tangible reminder that individuals with impaired eyesight are able to go,
to move, to be, to compete and to contribute with all others in society and
to lead full, independent and productive lives; and

WHEREAS, established by the National Federation of the Blind, the annual
observance of "White Cane Safety Day" emphasizes the need for all Americans
to be aware of the presence of disabled persons in our communities and to
work together to keep the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways, public
buildings and facilities, and places of public accommodation amusement and
resort safe and functional for the disabled; and

WHEREAS, the 2018 observance of "White Cane Safety Day" provides an
opportunity for people across the Palmetto State and the nation to renew
their dedication to eliminating barriers for the blind and visually impaired
and to recognize their value as individuals, employees and productive
members of our communities.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Henry McMaster, Governor of the great state of South
Carolina, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2018, as WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY
throughout the state and encourage all South Carolinians to show respect for
those who carry the white cane, to honor their many achievements, and to
reaffirm our commitment to improve access to basic services and
opportunities for blind and visually impaired persons.

Henry McMaster, Governor, State of South Carolina"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              As we approach mid-October, we continue to note that there are
those who often work behind the scenes but are essential to a local
chapter's growth and progress.  In the Conway Chapter I have heard Chapter
President Levern Wilson speak highly of one of his members who put the
Conway Chapter on the map with area blind people.  I am speaking of Patsy
Roberts.  Patsy tells me that she was born in Conway but was raised in
Aynor.  By the way, Patsy attended the public schools in Aynor.  For those
of you who remember the late M. B. "Red" Shaw who worked with Scout Troop
424, the Columbia Chapter and the Federation Center of the Blind for
decades, will be interested to note that Patsy had Red's son,  J. Marion
Shaw as a Teacher in one of her classes.  Patsy has two brothers, one of
which is deceased.  She has four children and 15 grandchildren.  Patsy has
been married to Doug Roberts for fourteen years and Doug has been the Pastor
of the Pee Dee Freewill Baptist Church for twenty-seven years.  Patsy is
church secretary and also plays the piano.  Patsy learned of the Conway
Chapter of the NFB of SC through Levern Wilson and they joined the chapter
in 2007.  Patsy and Doug have attended most all of the state conventions
since then and in fact have even conducted the Sunday morning Devotional and
Memorial Service.  Patsy has a hobby doing public service for the Conway
Chapter.  She has developed a chapter letterhead, brochures, a web site and
a Facebook page.  As I remember it, once she launched the Facebook page,
several area blind people contacted the Conway Chapter, not knowing before
that one had existed in Conway.  She says that she helps out in any way
Levern asks her to.  I know the Conway Chapter is planning their annual
Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner, the details of which will be set at their
October meeting.  It is quite an event to attend.  Conway is also looking
forward to working another Belk Charity Days as Levern asked the Center for
a tax-exempt donation letter for the upcoming fundraising event.  Let's all
salute Patsy and Doug Roberts for their dedication to the blind in the
Greater Conway area and beyond!

Final Thought:  "This October 8 we celebrated Columbus Day as Christopher
Columbus discovered America in 1492.  480 years later on October 15, 1972
the Model White Cane Law was passed in South Carolina and each October 15
"White Cane Safety Day" celebrates first class treatment for all blind South
Carolinians.  And 500 years after 1492 in 1992 the Americans with
Disabilities Act was passed by Congress, making state White Cane Laws
federally recognized."