[Nfbofsc] FW: NASA Summer 2019 Internships Info

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 21:35:09 UTC 2018

NASA Summer 2019 Internships Info

When can students start applying?  Right now!

What is the deadline for students to submit applications? April 1, 2019

Do Students have to fill out a completely new application in Salesforce, or
can they port it over? Yes, students must complete a new application

What is the link to Salesforce? Intern.nasa.gov

Do you know the starting and ending dates for high school and
college/graduate students?

High School: June 24, 2019 - August 2, 2019

College: June 3, 2019 - August 9, 2019

Do you know the summer stipend amounts for high school college, and graduate
students?

High School (6 weeks): $2400

College Undergrad (10 weeks): $7300

College GRAD (10 weeks): $9000

Will students still have five calendar days to either accept or reject the
offer through their Salesforce account; will the offer still automatically
expire after five calendar days? yes

If you would like to subscribe to an announcement-only list about NASA
internships for persons with disabilities, please send an E-mail to
nasainterns-request at freelists.org <mailto:nasainterns-request at freelists.org>
with 'subscribe' in the Subject field, OR by visiting the list page at
http://www.freelists.org/list/nasainterns.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. WHERE DO I APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP?

You can apply at: https://www.intern.nasa.gov

2. WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT FELLOWSHIPS AND

SCHOLARSHIPS?

For more information on fellowships and scholarships visit:

https://science.nasa.gov/researchers/sara/fellowship-programs

3. WHEN ARE THE INTERNSHIP SESSION DATES? (Session dates may differ

per agreement with mentor and approval through Program Manager)

Spring 2019 (college): 01/07/2019 - 04/26/19

Summer 2019 (college): 06/03/2019 - 08/09/2019

Summer 2019 (high school): 06/24/2019 - 08/02/2019

Fall 2019 (college): 08/26/2019 - 12/13/2019

4. HOW MUCH WILL I BE PAID?

Fall/Spring Internship - 16 Weeks

Undergraduates: $11,680

Graduates: $14,400

Summer Internship - 10 Weeks

Undergraduates: $7,300

Graduates: $9,000

5. WHAT ARE THE APPLICANT CRITERIA?

. GPA - 3.0 at the time of application

. Applicants must be U.S. citizens. Will be required to show proof of US

citizenship if selected for an internship.

. Accepted to or enrolled full-time in an accredited U.S. college or
university.

. 16 years of age or older by the date that the internship begins.

. Letter of recommendation to be submitted on your application to

intern.nasa.gov.

6. I AM ABOUT TO GRADUATE COLLEGE; CAN I STILL APPLY?

Yes, you can be considered for an internship for one session within six
months of

graduation. However, you will be considered as an undergraduate intern.

7. HOW MANY NASA INTERNSHIPS MAY I PARTICIPATE IN?

An intern may apply and obtain up to three consecutive full-time internships
or

six part-time internships as long as she/he meets the eligibility
requirements.

However, the internship selection process is very competitive and interns
are

never guaranteed an internship based on a prior NASA internship. After
taking

a session off after up to three consecutives full-time or six consecutive
part-time

internship sessions, an intern is eligible for consideration for other
internship

opportunities.

8. WILL THIS INTERNSHIP LEAD TO AN OPPORTUNITY IN THE PATHWAYS

PROGRAM?

NASA Internships are opportunities available for one single session and are

short-term opportunities designed to advance projects to the next level and

provide valuable work experience to the student. Pathways is separate from

NIFS. Pathways information is available at

https://nasajobs.nasa.gov/studentopps/default.htm

9. IS HOUSING PROVIDED FOR INTERNS?

Interns must provide for their own housing and relocation expenses. Upon

acceptance, interns may be forwarded a Housing Guide that may be helpful in

identifying housing options in the area.

10. WHAT KIND OF MAJORS DOES NASA LOOK FOR?

Primarily we look for STEM Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, and

Mathematics). Additionally, some projects will call for Communications,
Public

Affairs, Journalism, Graphics, Business and Finance.

11. WHAT KIND OF PROJECTS DOES NASA HAVE?

Project needs change each session according to the organization's needs.

Some skills that NASA routinely needs are (list is not exhaustive).

. Programming: C++, JAVA, HTML

. CAD, PRO-E, Matlab, 3D Modeling

. Networking

. Machine Shop, fabricating, design, prototyping

. 3D printing

. Social Media

. Technical Writing

. Database Administration

. Heliophysics

. Earth Science

. Solar System

. Astrophysics

12. DO I HAVE TO APPLY TO A SPECIFIC PROJECT?

No, you do not have to apply to a specific project. By submitting your

application, you are in the general applicant pool. However, the visibility
(and

selection odds) of your application is increased by applying to a specific
project.

We look at candidates that have applied to a specific project before looking
in

the larger, general applicant pool. Be sure if you apply to a specific
project, you

have the skills they are asking for.

You can apply to 15 projects per session.

13. HOW CAN I MAKE MY APPLICATION STAND OUT?

We are not able to review every application in the general applicant pool.
Think

"filters," using key words may boost the chances of your application being

viewed by a mentor. Remember the projects are usually specific. If you are a

mechanical engineering major, do not just say you have lab experience.
Specify

your experience with equipment, testing and analyses that you performed in a

lab.

Important sections of your application are:

. Computer Skills - Be thorough, as this is what filters will catch. Avoid

exhaustive paragraphs.

. Special Skills - List any skill you are proficient in that you feel may be

helpful (social media, foreign languages, machine shop, graphic artist,

acoustical analysis, heat transfer, gas spectroscopy, chromatography,

anthropometry, technical writing, photography, etc.). List anything that
will

separate you from other candidates. Use key words.

. How your interests fit with a NASA opportunity - State how you can

advance this project to the next level. What is it about you that

distinguishes your skills from others that inspires NASA to select you? Be

concise. Describe your experiences and how your skill set will benefit

NASA now and in the future.

14. IF I AM PURSUING MY MASTER'S OR DOCTORATE DEGREE, MAY I STILL

APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP?

Yes, so long as you meet the eligibility requirements you can apply for an

internship opportunity.

15. HOW WILL FULL-TIME FALL/SPRING INTERNSHIP SESSIONS AFFECT MY

FULL-TIME SCHOOL SCHEDULE?

Students are responsible for finding a sensible solution to balance the
needs of

their internship opportunities and academic plans after receiving an offer
to join

the internship program at NASA. It is common for students to enroll in a
lighter

school load during their internship session, take online classes through
their

institution, or defer for one semester in order to participate. The student
should

inform their mentor of any academic plans during their internship at NASA.

16. WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?

While interviews are not a required component of the internship application
and

review process, some NASA centers may choose to conduct face-to-face or

phone interviews. In this case, you will be contacted directly by the mentor
via

email or phone. There is no timeline for this action.

Be prepared for phone contact from NASA. If you are using a home phone

accessible by other family members, let them know you have applied to the

NASA internship program. Be prepared to explain why you are the best

candidate to fill the opportunity by knowing how your unique skills align
with the

project.

17. DO I NEED PRIOR RESEARCH EXPERIENCE TO GET AN INTERNSHIP

WITH NASA?

No, not necessarily. All applicants are evaluated on merit, skills and the
relevant

experience to the specific opportunities. Answering the essay questions

thoroughly is very important, as comprehensive responses enable the mentors

and internship program coordinators to differentiate applicants whose
passion

and skill suit the opportunity best.

18. DO I NEED A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION?

Yes, applicants must submit at least one letter of recommendation however,
2-3

letters are common. Your letter(s) of recommendation can weigh a great
amount

in the final decision. Assure that your recommender is someone who can speak

highly of your skills, work ethic and leadership.

19. I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT, WHAT OPPORTUNITES AT NASA

ARE AVAILABLE TO ME?

You can search for opportunities here:

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/descriptions/international-

internships-for-students.html

20. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY APPLICATION IS BEING CONSIDERED, I HAVE

APPLIED BUT HAVE NOT HEARD BACK?

There is no formal notification process in place to alert students of their

application status. However, you may check the status of your application at

intern.nasa.gov. If you are selected to be part of the Internship Program,
you

will be contacted with an offer letter from the Program Manager at

your designated NASA center. There is no concrete timeline for this process.

21. HOW LONG AFTER YOU SUBMIT AN APPLICATION DOES IT TAKE TO

HEAR IF YOU RECEIVED THE INTERNSHIP?

This will vary greatly by the center, the session and the internship
project.

Submit your applications as soon as possible, it is common for applications

be reviewed and sometimes, for selections to be made even before the

application deadline. Typically, students will hear by one month prior to
the start

of the internship session if they are selected to participate in an
internship.

22. I HAVE A SPECIFC QUESTION ABOUT THE NASA INTERNSHIPS,

FELLOWSHIPS AND SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAM AT GODDARD, WHO

CAN I ASK?

You can send an email to: gsfc-education at mail.nasa.gov
<mailto:gsfc-education at mail.nasa.gov>  We will respond

within 48 hours.

23. I AM NOT SURE HOW TO NAVIGATE THE APPLICATION SYSTEM. IS

THERE A TUTORIAL?

Yes! We have a video that can walk you through the new system. You can view
the

tutorial on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFPngfSz10

Go with Goddard.  Grow @ Goddard.

NASA Internships @ Goddard Space Flight Center

Goddard Space Flight Center Campuses:

Greenbelt Campus, MD (GB) (30 minutes from Washington, DC, Baltimore and
Annapolis, MD)

Wallops Flight Facility (WFF), Wallops Island, VA (3 hours from Greenbelt
Campus)

Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V), Fairmont, WV (3.5 hours from
Greenbelt Campus)

Goddard Institute of Space Studies (GISS), New York, NY (20 minutes from
Times Square, NY)

White Sands Complex (WSC), White Sands, NM (1 hour from Holloman AFB)

Goddard has internships for high school through doctoral students in STEM
fields.

Apply at: https://intern.nasa.gov

Go with Goddard. Grow @ Goddard.

Goddard Space Flight Center conducts innovative and exciting work in earth
science, heliophysics, astrophysics, planetary science,

engineering, communications and technology development across five campuses.

https://intern.nasa.gov

ENGINEERING

. Aerospace Engineering

. Chemical Engineering

. Civil Engineering

. Computer Engineering

. Electrical Engineering

. Detector Systems

. Environmental/Electronics Engineering

. Instrumentation Engineering

. Materials Engineering

. Composites Applications

. Mechanical Engineering

. Microelectronics & Signal Processing

. Optical Engineering

. Robotics

. Thermal Engineering

. Math

. Computer Science

. Physics

. Software Engineering

. Systems Engineering

. Propulsion Engineering

. Microwave Engineering

. Fiber Optics

. Navigation

. Trajectory Analysis

. Guidance Navigation Design and

Control Systems

. Sensor Actuator Design and

Development

TECHNOLOGY

. Airborne Science Research

. Balloons & Sounding Rockets

. Computer Science

- Artificial Intelligence

- Data / Information Visualization

- Data Systems Technology

- Earth & Space Data Computing

- High Performance Computing &

Communications

. Lasers

. Photonics

. Field Programmable Gate Arrays

. Small Satellite

. Information Technology

. Advanced Manufacturing

. Computer Engineering

. Software Engineering

. Systems Engineering/Design

ADMINISTRATIVE

. Accounting

. Communications

. Education

. Human Capital

. Legal

. Procurement

. = Discipline choices in OSSI: NIFS

- = Specific areas of research at Goddard

SCIENCE

. Astrophysics

- X-ray Astrophysics

- Astroparticle Physics