[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1673

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 12:48:52 UTC 2018

September 5, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who
attended and volunteered their services at the Fun Day Festival held at
Rocky Bottom this past Labor Day weekend.  When considering the fact plans
for Fun Day did not begin in earnest until after July 15, the turnout for
this event was good as approximately 45 federationists attended the
festivities on Saturday, September 1.  All of us need to work harder to
attract more of the public to attend as well as encourage more of our
members to sell their Fun Day tickets and to attend the Fun Day festivities.
The weather this weekend was spectacular and everyone appeared to have a
great time enjoying each other's company and raising money for Rocky Bottom.
All things considered, I truly believe the 37th annual Fun Day Festival was
successful.  Next week I will share with you the breakdown of the proceeds
regarding this year's Fun Day festival.  Many thanks go to Lenora Robertson,
Ellen Taylor, Glenda Ulick and the rest of the "Food Crew" for preparing
four outstanding meals Saturday and Sunday morning.  I would like to
especially thank Valerie and Larry Warrington, their niece, Haily, and Libby
Farr for helping where ever needed.  I would also like to recognize David
and Darleen Houck, Linda Bible, Jennifer Bazer for their assistance on
Saturday as well as Jeff Baser who did a great job handling the duties of
auctioneer.  RBRCCB is an extremely important and vital program of the NFB
of SC and all of us as members need to work diligently and creatively in the
years to come to increase the amount of monies raised during the Fun Day
Festival.  As I have stated many times, Rocky Bottom belongs to all of us.
We need to work "as one team with one goal" and be proud we have such a
unique facility in South Carolina.

              We have an announcement from Tiffiny Mitchell, Chairperson of
the 2019 NFB national convention transportation committee.  "By now, just
about everyone has heard that the 2019 NFB National Convention will be held
in Las Vegas next year from July 7-12.  Our committee is preparing to find
out approximately how many in SC plan to attend and use the transportation
arranged by the state organization.  We will hold a conference call on
Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.  We are asking that you call in to
find out more information about transportation arrangements thus far. We
will be able to answer some questions also, so please be thinking of what
you'd like to ask during the call.  The call in number is (862) 902-0241.
The access code is 358-8716.  To keep the background noise to a minimum,
once you have entered the conference, please press *6 to mute your phone.
If you would like to make a comment press the same keys to unmute.  Also,
please state your name before asking a question or making a comment.  This
will help ensure that everyone can hear all comments and get the most from
the information provided.  If you have any questions, feel free to give me a
call at (803) 603-2098.  I look forward to talking to you soon!"

              We have an announcement from Thom Spittle, president of the
Computer Science and Technology Division. "Hi Everyone. The Computer Science
Technology Division will be holding a training workshop and help session on
Saturday, September 15, 2018. At the Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S.
Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205, from 10am to Noon.  This session will
cover the Seeing AI app for iPhones.  There will also be a help session for
those of you who need help getting started, or with a specific problem with
your device.  If you would like to attend, please email Thom Spittle at
thom3of5 at gmail.com, or call the CSTD Helpline at 803-402-3526, and leave
your name and that you would like to attend.  If you would like to help with
the workshop, please contact Thom Spittle in one of the above ways.  As
always, if you have any Workshop suggestions, or need help, call the
Helpline at 803-402-3526."

              I am extremely sad to report to all of you, Ruth Weeks, a
charter member of our state organization passed away on Saturday September
1, at 10:00a.m.  "Miss Ruth" as she was affectionately known by many of our
members, was one of a small group of blind individuals who came together
with their leader, Dr. Samuel M. Lawton, to form the Aurora Club of the
Blind in Spartanburg, SC in 1944.  As you recall during the presidential
report at our state convention, I stated next year will mark the
seventy-fifth anniversary for this organization and I recognized Ruth Weeks
who was present at the convention as being the only living charter member.
Funeral Services will be held at 2 on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 at Una
First Freewill Baptist Church with Rev. Kenneth Cash officiating. Interment
will be at Good Shepherd Memorial Park.  I know Ruth Weeks will be greatly
missed and all of us in our federation family need to keep her family and
friends in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we are saddened to report the passing of our charter
NFB of SC member Ruth Weeks of Spartanburg.  The following is her obituary
from the Spartanburg Herald Journal:

              "Cowpens, SC-- Ruth Weeks, 99, passed away on Saturday,
September 01, 2018. She was the daughter of the late Clara Crosby Weeks. She
was a member of Una First Freewill Baptist Church and worked at Spartanburg
County Courthouse for twenty-eight years.

              Survivors include a niece, Mary Stone of the home; two
nephews, Don Adams of Inman and Joseph Adams of Spartanburg; many great
nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by a sister, Rosie Adams; a brother,
Bill Crosby.

              The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 on Tuesday,
September 04, 2018 at Stribling Funeral Home. Funeral Services will be held
at 2 on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 at Una First Freewill Baptist Church
with Rev. Kenneth Cash officiating. Interment will be at Good Shepherd
Memorial Park.

              The family is at the home of Don and Lucille Adams, 103
Conifer Road Inman 29349.

              The following is my spotlight article on Ruth Weeks which was
published in the Positive Note in 2009:

              "A very special lady, Ruth Weeks of Spartanburg, truly
deserves to be in the "spotlight."  Ruth will celebrate her 90th birthday in
July.  Born in Kershaw, most of her life was spent in Spartanburg.  At age
seven in 1926, Ruth enrolled in the School for the Blind.  Herbert Hoover
was President and she remembers the 1929 Great Depression.  At School Ruth
was recognized for her singing talents.  To the best of my knowledge Ruth is
the only living charter member of the Federation, then known as the Aurora
Club.  She was present in 1944 when our founder, Dr. Sam Lawton arranged for
the first gathering of the blind in Spartanburg.  In the 1920's and 1930's
when Ruth was in School, there were no televisions, computers, cell phones,
microwave ovens, or stereo technology but there was one very valuable
program featuring Braille literacy.  When Ruth entered the School in 1926,
there were not many automobiles on the road except for the Model T Ford
which many of us remember.  Having been a member of the federation for 65
years (1944 - 2009), Ruth only missed a few meetings of the Spartanburg
Chapter.  She has attended most of the state conventions and was honored for
her years of service in August of 2000 receiving the NFB of SC Presidential
Citation and was further honored with a standing ovation from the Banquet
audience.  As previously stated, there were very few jobs available to Ruth
during her long career but she did assist in jury selections in the
courthouse as all prospective jurors were drawn by Ruth.  Ruth is an avid
reader and fully utilized Braille when she started School in 1926.  One of
Ruth's favorite activities is attending Senior Blind Week at RBRCCB.  She
let me know that she wants to attend Senior Camp this year as well.
Congratulations to Ruth Weeks who has been blessed in living a very long
life, making many hundreds of friends both in the federation and in other
places."

              Ruth was very special and will be missed.  Our thoughts and
prayers are with her friends, family and the members of the Spartanburg
Chapter.  As many of you are aware, Ruth Weeks did attend the August 2018
NFB of SC convention in Columbia.

Final Thought:  "Longevity with a purpose touches the lives of many."