[Nfbofsc] FW: You Cane Give Initiative

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 02:01:41 UTC 2018

Steve Cook
District 2 State Board Member of the NFB of SC
1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB of SC
1st Vice President of the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC

>From another list.

You Cane Give Initiative

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a NFL cane and met James and his wife.

They are a giving couple who raised this non-profit organization that helps blind people all over the country.

I am proud to be a part of this wonderful project.

They take all old canes, cane pieces if yours has been broken and they refurnish it to donate to those less fortunate.

What a way to help out those who are in need including children and adults of all ages.

I am happy to share this with you all because it gives me the good feeling that through my broken pieces of canes that I have collected, these pieces can be put together, refurnished and donated to a child or adult in need in another country who is not as fortunate as I am.

So I ask that you just consider them if you have old canes or broken canes that are taking up space.

Thanks so much.

Sugar Lopez

*****

You Cane Give Initiative

Wondering what to do with that old cane you no longer use in the closet?

Is that drawer of used canes collecting dust and taking up space?

Donate your old canes to the “You Cane Give” program.

We are collecting donated canes to refurbish and send to individuals who are blind and visually impaired around the world.

Let’s face it, we have it good in America. With the click of a button, we can order almost anything we need, including a cane. In countries like Mexico, China, India, and South Africa, people do not have access to the proper tools to empower independence and success.

Do not let your canes go to waste!

   “You Cane Give” allows you to help us give your used cane to a person far away who needs it!

James Boehm recently spoke with a representative of the South African Council for The Blind.

He was given a much deeper perspective. Initially, our focus was on empowering the blind, changing stereotypes, and equipping for equality and independence.
But we realized that it is so much more than that. “Blind people are actually losing their lives,” he said. He shared four instances, within the past year, where blind individuals or families, without a cane, thought they were at an appropriate intersection and were safe.

The people attempted to cross the street and were killed.

The South African government provides $100/month for the disabled to cover monthly living expenses; a mobility cane costs $50.

Imagine, if you had a monthly income of $2,000, a cane would then cost about $1,000.

You Cane Give not only empowers the lives of the blind, but it also saves lives.

We need canes in all sizes.

We are able to send folding canes overseas, but straight canes can be donated to individuals within the United States.

We have contacts in Peru, Nigeria, the Philippines, and South Africa wishing for a cane of their own.

Our state convention is a great opportunity to throw used canes into your suitcase.

If you donate a cane, your name will be entered for a prize drawing, as a thank you!

Bring your donated canes or tips to the You Cane Give designated table.

Thank you so much!! We appreciate your generosity!

-      James and Wendy Boehm, founders of You Cane Give

Website:www.youcanegive.org

Email: youcanegive at gmail.com

Also, here is our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/You-Cane-Give-Initiative-1558518134229769/