[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1697

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 20 13:39:16 UTC 2019

February 20, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              On Saturday evening, February 16, Shelley and I had a
wonderful time attending the fourth annual Sweetheart Dance sponsored by the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  Approximately 53
individuals were in attendance and it was very apparent everyone enjoyed all
the festivities of the evening.  The Federation Center was beautifully
decorated with alternating white and pink tablecloths as well as a balloon
bouquet on each table.  Individuals enjoyed a delicious dinner after which
time people appeared to be having fun listening to the music, dancing or
just talking with each other.  Many great door prizes were handed out which
greatly enhanced to the festivities of the evening.  I am very proud to
announce $1,000 in net proceeds was raised for the NFB of SC which met our
goal for the evening.  As this was a fund raiser for the state affiliate, I
would like to recognize those state board members and leaders who were
present for this event.  They were Second Vice President, Debra Canty,
Secretary, Shannon Cook, first district board member, Loretta Green, second
district board member, Steve Cook, fifth district board member, Linda
Dizzley and member-at-large board member Ed Bible.  Also in attendance were
David Houck, Director of the Federation Center of the Blind and Jennifer
Bazer, Director of Successful Transitions.  I would like to thank Kerry
"Butch" Thompson, an associate member of the Sumter chapter, for doing an
excellent job providing the music for the evening.  Thanks also goes to
Jennifer Bazer for securing a variety of door prizes for the evening and
updating attendees of upcoming events in the NFB of SC.  A very special
thank you goes to Debra Canty, our Fundraising Chairperson and her committee
for putting together this event.  Many kudos for a job well done!

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook.  "On February 23rd,
there will be a work day at the Federation Center of the Blind (119 S.
Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205) to prepare the building for upcoming
painting and upgrades being done.  We are asking for any and all of you who
are able to come out on that day to help with removing wall paper, sanding,
general cleaning, etc.  You should dress in work clothes that will get dirty
and good work/tennis shoes. If you have buckets, sponges, dish soap,
brushes, etc. to use for the projects, please bring those with you.
Sandpaper and spackle will be provided. Also, if anyone has a hand held
steamer, that would be a great advantage when loosening and removing wall
paper.

              The center will be open beginning around 8:30 a.m. and work
will begin then.  Please circulate this message to youth groups, Scouts,
other volunteer organizations, or any other group or individual who may be
able to pitch in a helping hand.  Lunch will be provided!  If you need more
information, please call the Federation Center at 254-3777.  This will be a
fun group activity. Come join us!"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The weekly spotlight program in the Positive Note is much
appreciated by those we spotlight as well as by our Positive Note readers.
I trust that their experiences will encourage you to step out as they have
to accomplish great things.  This week we are spotlighting one of our
Federation Center Assistive Technology Instructors who also happens to be
the new President of the Darlington County Chapter of the NFB of SC.  I am
speaking of Garrett Mosley who was born and raised in Bethune, South
Carolina.  Garrett graduated from North Central High School in 2003. Years
later, after adjustment to blindness training, he attended and graduated
from Columbia International University in 2013.  Garrett's wife Danielle and
he were married in 2015. She teaches 4th grade in a local elementary school.
Garrett is the son of Keith and Daisy Mosley. Garrett has two younger
brothers, Everett and Landon Mosley.

              Garrett Mosley is one of four Federation Center Assistive
Technology Instructors, teaching JAWS, or Voiceover on iPhone.  He is
certified in all technologies that he instructs his blind students in.  His
classes are performed virtually over the internet in most cases but he can
perform home evaluations as well.  Garrett states, "It's a very convenient
setup for students. It's also an easy commute for me. They can learn from
home, on their schedule. I like to use real life examples of websites, and
apps that I use, to help them see how technology can give them more
independence."

              Garrett Mosley became involved in the federation as different
friends invited him to participate. "I started getting more involved in 2017
when I noticed how much the NFB does and how helpful the organization is for
blind people."  Garrett reports that, "The Darlington Chapter of the NFB of
SC is going well. I just got a call from someone last week wanting to meet
with us. Our chapter is looking forward to doing some fundraising to help
out."  Last year's state convention was Garrett's first, and he really
enjoyed it, although he has not yet attended a national one.  Asked about
his hobbies, Garrett replies that, "I enjoy reading, both BARD books and
articles on the internet. I also listen to YouTube a lot since you can learn
just about anything there."  Garrett currently attends Soul's Harbor
Pentecostal Holiness Church. He is a Lion's Club member in the Darlington
chapter, and he looks forward to their working together to help our
community.  As you can see, Garrett is living the life he wants while
helping many other blind South Carolinians to do the same.

Final Thought:  "This year I did something different.  Instead of
celebrating the first day of a birthday, I celebrated the last day of being
a year younger."