[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1694

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 14:12:23 UTC 2019

January 30, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This week more than five hundred Federationists representing
52 affiliates of the NFB gathered in Washington D.C. to discuss with their
congressional delegation the legislative agenda of the nation's blind.  The
2019 Washington Seminar officially began Monday January 28, at 5:00 p.m.
with the "Great Gathering In" meeting.  President Riccobono conducted the
meeting and there were other Federation officials present informing
participants on various NFB activities which will be occurring during 2019.
Tuesday January 29, was a very busy day for the South Carolina delegation as
they met with our congressional delegation at various times throughout the
day.  I am extremely proud to have fourteen members of our affiliate attend
this year's Washington Seminar.  The delegation this year was under the
leadership of our NFB of SC First vice President, Lenora Robertson.  Other
members of the delegation were Ellen Taylor, Second Vice President, Debra
Canty, Dianne Singleton, NFB of SC State board member, Linda Dizzley,
Director of our Successful Transitions program, Jennifer Bazer, and Pam
Schexnider. We are also very proud to have seven members (Allontate Ellerbe,
AJ McFadden, Olivia Taylor, Bailey Hightower, Derique Simon, Neel Sheth, and
Wallace Stuckey of our SC Association of Blind Students as part of this
year's delegation.  The work done by our delegation on Capitol Hill this
week only lays the ground work for passage of the three legislative
initiatives which are outlined below.  All of us need to continue to contact
our Congressman and Senators throughout the year to ensure passage of these
three legislative initiatives.

The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

              The cost of critically needed access technology is out of
reach for most blind Americans.  By providing a refundable tax credit for
qualifying purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of this
technology and promote affordability of these tools.

The Greater Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual Access
Technology (GAIN) Act

              Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind
individuals from independently operating essential devices that enhance
quality of life.  Congress must end the digital divide that threatens the
independence of blind Americans by developing minimum accessibility
requirements for such devices.

The Disability Employment Act (DEA)

              An outdated approach to employment fails to adequately equip
workers with disabilities for the challenges of the twenty-first century.
The Disability Employment Act will spur innovation that will increase and
enhance modern employment opportunities for people with disabilities.

              Do not forget to purchase your tickets to attend the fourth
annual Sweetheart dance sponsored by the NFB of SC which will be held on
Saturday, February 16, 2019 at the Federation Center of the Blind from 5:00
p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The evening promises to be a fun and enjoyable experience
with a catered dinner, door prizes, music and dancing.  Tickets to this
event will only be $25 per person.  Please make checks payable to NFB of SC
and mail to: NFB of SC, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.  Please
note the memo line for Sweethearts Dance. Deadline to purchase tickets is
Wednesday, February 6, 2019.  Please contact Jennifer Bazer at 803-960-9977
or jhipp25 at sc.rr.com if you would like to contribute a door prize.   If you
have any questions regarding this fundraising event, please contact  Debra
Canty at 803-775-5792 or via email at debra.canty at frontier.com.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we are spotlighting the new 2019 Charleston Chapter
President Lavern Addison.  She is quite energetic and likes a challenge.
Having always resided in the Charleston area, Lavern went to the Charleston
Public Schools and then attended USC in Columbia obtaining her Bachelor's
degree in Protective Services, Child Abuse and Neglect and Criminal Justice.
She applied her degree in several positions such as working in a day care
center, as a disability counselor at SC Vocational Rehabilitation assisting
in areas of the disabled receiving Social Security benefits, and she also
did set up for security cameras in a Belk department store.  She was married
for 23 years before becoming divorced in 2010.  Her daughter Jordan is a
teacher in the Berkeley County School District and her son works for Fed Ex.
Each of them has obtained college degrees.  Her son-in-law is an Assistant
Principal in a Summerville High School.

              Lavern Addison became blind in March 2016, shortly before
renewing her driver's license.  Although she first found out about the
Charleston Association for the Blind, it was her son who got her a white
cane through the NFB.  It was through a local PSA spot about the NFB by
Leroy Smith that she learned of the NFB of SC Charleston Chapter.  She liked
it better when people spoke of what they can do instead of complaining about
what they could not do.  She joined the Charleston Chapter in January 2018,
watching the chapter and taking in federation information.  She took the
trip to the Baltimore NFB National Center last spring and that changed
everything.  She really took in all aspects of the National Center and
before you know it, she was elected President of the Charleston Chapter for
2019.  The chapter is working toward doing a local TV interview in the near
future.  By finding out who donated her free white cane she met Tony in
Charleston and got him (and his church Pastor) involved.  Tony sang at the
beginning of the Statewide Seminar.  Her hobbies include braille Scrabble
and she even brailled her own deck of playing cards.  She volunteers with
her women's auxiliary and missions group, bereavement committee, and even
checks in on members.  She is passionate about education and her daughter
works with a scholarship program.  She says that no one will tell her what
she cannot do because she is blind.  Recently she also assisted someone in
finding out how to get braille certification.  Let's salute Lavern Addison's
enthusiasm and energy in making life better for the blind in the Greater
Charleston area.  She is living the life she wants!

Final Thought:  Work hard this year because next year everything will be
2020!