[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1718

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 17 12:40:11 UTC 2019

July 17, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Shelley and I had a wonderful time attending the 2019 NFB
national convention.  Approximately 3,200 federationists and visitors
registered for this convention making this gathering the second largest
convention ever held.  South Carolina was proud to have 102 delegates
registered placing us in eighth place in the overall attendance standings.
I was extremely proud to have this many South Carolinians attend this year's
convention as we have not had 100 individuals in attendance in quite a few
years.  Included in our delegation were seven students and four staff from
our Successful Transitions program.  These students and staff were in
attendance during a significant part of the general sessions, and
enthusiastically participated in activities such as Youth Track activities,
the career fair and National Association of Blind Student meetings. We were
also proud to have in our delegation a national scholarship winner, Derrique
Simon and six Kenneth Jernigan scholarship winners.  The convention had many
outstanding presentations which dealt primarily with the need to have
accessible technology.  During the general sessions there was a great deal
of enthusiasm and energy which was felt throughout the ballroom as the
convention celebrated the diversity among the members of our Federation
family.  Of course, President Riccobono's Presidential Report and Banquet
address were outstanding.  President Riccobono's banquet speech Friday
evening emphasized again the importance of diversity to our movement and he
challenged the audience to make the correct choices which will ultimately
lead us to the road of freedom and first class citizenship.  Many thanks
goes to Tiffiny Mitchell for her assistance in coordinating transportation
arrangements which made it possible for many of our members to attend this
year's convention in Las Vegas.  The NFB national convention at times
reminds me of a large family reunion and for Shelley and I as it was
wonderful to reconnect and visit with friends we have not seen for a long
period of time.  Although I was extremely proud of the 102 South Carolinians
who registered for this year's convention, it continues to be very
disappointing to me to see the extremely poor attendance from our delegation
at most of the general sessions.  One of the primary purposes of the
national convention is to become more familiar with issues facing the blind
on a national level and this is very difficult to do if you are not present
at the meetings.

              I am pleased to report that the Marriott has extended the NFB
of SC Convention room block until Monday, July 22.  If you have not already
made your room reservations, PLEASE DO SO NOW as after this extension passes
on July 22, you will not get the convention rates and the NFB of SC may have
to take up any slack if there is a shortage in the room block.  Below is the
reservation information you need:

              There are only a few days remaining to make your hotel
reservations for the 2019 NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at
the Marriott Hotel in Columbia August 9-11.  Rates for this year's
convention are $112 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition to the
room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 14 percent.  The
deadline to make reservations is July 22, 2019.  You can make your room
reservations by calling the Columbia Marriott reservation toll free
telephone number (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000 and inform the
reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina state convention.

              I would also encourage you to go ahead and pay your $80
preregistration fee for the state convention which will cover the very
special Friday evening reception, the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday
evening banquet as well as a continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday
morning.  Please send your $80 preregistration fee to the Federation Center
of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd. Columbia, SC 29205.  We are offering a
discount for families with children regarding the preregistration fee.
Parents will pay the $80 preregistration fee and each child eight teen years
of age or younger will pay $20.  We are also offering a discounted rate to
college students in the amount of $50 during the preregistration period.
After August 2, the registration will increase to $100.

              All of us in our Federation family need to keep Frank Loza, a
member of our Belvedere chapter, and his wife Cathy in our thoughts and
prayers as they lost everything in a house fire this past Friday.  During
the next few days we will reach out to see if the NFB of SC can be of any
assistance to this family.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               Today our spotlight turns to the South Carolina town of Lake
City.  While this is the home of the Clarendon County Chapter President,
Marty McKenzie, our spotlight shines on another Lake City resident, Glenda
Culick.  Glenda is an Associate member of the Rock Hill Chapter but her
influence is felt statewide.  Glenda was the oldest of six children with one
sister and four brothers.  She was born in Kingstree but lived in Charleston
and Goose Creek until she reached age 12.  After that she moved to Lake City
where she continues to reside today.  She graduated from the Cates-Hebron
High School at age 16 and then attended Williamsburg Technical College where
she received an Associate's degree in Secretarial Studies.  Glenda worked in
several sewing factories for 15 years until they closed.  Glenda then went
back to school where she received a degree to be a Medical/Clerical Office
Assistant.  She volunteered as a driver with the SC School for the Deaf and
Blind in 1998, was employed as a part-time driver in 2002 and became
full-time in 2009.  In 2010 she became a Certified Braille Instructor.  As
you might have guessed, Glenda became involved in the federation by getting
to know Marty McKenzie.  She joined the Rock Hill Chapter and works closely
with the chapter in areas of fundraising and other areas of service.  By the
way, Glenda is part of "Lenora's kitchen crew" at Rocky Bottom and assists
in cooking for Senior Camps, NFB Senior Retreats, Fun Day Festivals and
Christmas Board Retreats ever since 2002.  Glenda also states that Lenora
Robertson's daughter Ellen Taylor is engaged to Glenda's brother John.
Glenda is a long time member of the Camp Branch Church of Prophecy in Lake
City where she teaches Sunday School.  Her hobbies include crocheting and
doing crafts.  She also develops braille storybooks for blind first and
second graders.  She has attended 16 national and 18 state conventions and
Glenda was the recipient of the Associate Member of the Year Award in 2012.
Let's give a salute to Glenda Culick who works hard to make life better for
the blind of all ages.

              Final Thought:   June 20, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of
American Astronaut Neil Armstrong setting foot on the Moon for the first
time.  I predict blind people will one day land on the Moon and Mars!