[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1701

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 20 13:27:49 UTC 2019

March 20, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who
attended the 2019 Leadership Seminar sponsored by the NFB of SC this past
Saturday.  Approximately seventy-five people were in attendance at the
seminar representing the entire state from Greenville to Charleston.  The
morning session began with a brief discussion of my thoughts regarding the
seven "R's of good leadership". The next agenda item was presented by Salena
Black who discussed with the audience the importance of effective
communication in an organizational setting.  The last agenda item of the
morning was "Programs offered by Protection and Advocacy" and it was
presented by David Zoellner, Managing Attorney for P&A.  Mr. Zoellner
primarily discussed the changes in the Client Assistance Program (CAP)
during the past few years.  Many thanks goes to Isaiah Nelson, Lorreta
Green, Jennifer Bazer and the Successful Transitions Program for covering
the expense of the lunch.  The afternoon session primarily dealt with fund
raising proposals to assist Rocky Bottom and the NFB of SC.  Loretta Green,
District one Board member, presented Rocky Bottom $825 from contributions
raised by chapters in her district.  These chapters were Charleston, Grand
Strand, Conway, Upper Dorchester, and Georgetown.  Mrs. Green stated the
goal of her district was to raise $1,000.  To accomplish this goal, the
audience quickly raised an additional $200, making the final total raised
for Rocky Bottom by District One chapters $1,025.  Loretta challenged the
other district board members to encourage their chapters to raise money for
Rocky Bottom.  The audience also heard from Valerie Warrington regarding
Midland Gives which will take place on May 7.  This will be another great
way for our state wide membership to support Rocky Bottom.  It was suggested
each state board district and state wide divisions compete among themselves
to see who can secure the most unique contributions for Rocky Bottom.  A
trophy will be presented to the district or division who secures the highest
number of unique contributions during Midlands Gives on May 7.  The
remainder of the afternoon dealt with the importance of signing up
businesses who will consider being a sponsor for our state convention which
will be held August 9-11.  A sample sponsorship letter was read and each
individual was given a copy of this letter in their packet of information
distributed during the seminar.  The remaining portion of the afternoon was
spent discussing chapter issues such as chapter fund raising and ways to
recruit new members.

              We have an announcement from Debra Canty, President of the
Sumter Chapter.  "Hello Federation Family!  The Spring meetings of the Rocky
Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind Board of Directors and the
NFB of SC Board of Directors will be held at the Federation Center of the
Blind on Saturday, April 6, 2019.  This is an excellent opportunity to share
with the Federation Family. Please let me know if you are interested in
ordering a 5-dollar barbecue chicken or a 6-dollar pork sandwich.

              Sumter Chapter, National Federation of the Blind, 14th Annual
BBQ Fundraiser, Saturday, April 6, 2019, $6.00 BBQ Pork Sandwich, $5.00 BBQ
Chicken Sandwich (Leg Quarter).  All sandwiches must be paid upon delivery
on Saturday, April 6 at the Federation Center.  We gladly accept cash or
checks made payable to: NFB Sumter Chapter as well.  These proceeds will
assist NFB members and volunteers to attend the national convention this
summer as well.  Mega thanks for supporting the Sumter Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The spotlight this week falls upon another NFB of SC Associate
member.  If it were not for our many sighted members who support the work of
the blind, it would be much more difficult to accomplish our many successes
in the federation.  Helen Burriss is an Associate member of the Anderson
Chapter and is married to Carey Burris, a longtime voting member of the
Anderson Chapter.  Born and raised on a cotton farm in Anderson County,
Helen Burriss knew how to plow and raise cotton.  She attended the public
schools of Anderson.  Following her schooling, she did housekeeping work
before going on to work in the Anderson Hospital and later at NHC Home
Health Care for 35 years.  She met and dated Carey Burriss for some time
before they got married.  On December 23, 2019 they will celebrate 30 years
of marriage.  Since Helen was raised on a cotton farm and Carey was a
Clemson University Horticulturalist, they were a great fit as a couple.
Working with Carey over the years she became knowledgeable about blindness
and began working in the Anderson Chapter.  Back in the days when Jimmie
(deceased) and Jenny Smith were leaders in the Anderson Chapter, Helen
Burriss would sell a lot of candy for the chapter while working at NHC.  In
fact, Jimmie Smith gave her a plaque for her steady candy sales.  Helen
liked working with Carey, especially when they were visiting and recruiting
new members.  Over the years, Helen worked with Demetrius Williford's mother
trying to recruit him into the Anderson Chapter.  Demetrius not only joined
the chapter (as we spotlighted him a few weeks ago) but he is now the new
Anderson Chapter President.  One of Helen Burris hobbies is cleaning.
Whenever the chapter would go to Rocky Bottom, Helen would spend much of her
time cleaning wherever it was needed.  As many of you know, Carey heads up
the annual Walk-A-Thons and Helen works with that project as well as with
Anderson Chapter yard sales.  Helen and Carey attended many state
conventions but Helen dropped off after experiencing neck surgery.  They are
members of Open Arms Outreach Church in Anderson.  Helen says they try not
to miss a chapter meeting and they try to be of service in any way they can.
Let's salute Helen Burriss and Carey too for their long years of service in
helping the blind to live the life they want.

Final Thought:  Spring has arrived this week.so spring into action!