[Nfbofsc] Free White Cane!

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 20 19:15:30 UTC 2019

Please share with your contacts!

Free White Cane Program

We believe the long white cane is a means to independence.  The white cane
has proved a useful tool to millions of blind people in navigating their
environments with confidence and safety.  It is a tool which allows blind
people to travel where and when they want, and as such leads to
self-sufficiency.

We believe that independence and freedom to travel are so important to the
quality of life of blind people that every blind person should have a cane,
regardless of ability to pay.

We are giving, free of charge to the user, rigid fiberglass canes.  Please
see the online application or download the paper application to view
available cane sizes.

Request a free white cane!

Visit our online free white cane application form <http://freecane.nfb.org/>
now or complete an accessible PDF application
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/free_white_cane_application.pdf>
online. Completed applications should be mailed to:

Free White Cane Program
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
                                 Baltimore, MD 21230

Any blind individual in the fifty states, the District of Columbia and
Puerto Rico may request a cane for their personal use.  Requests may be made
as often as every six months.

For adult first-time cane users, we recommend measuring from your shoulders
to the floor. The cane needs to reach a good two steps in front of where you
are stepping. The speed of your pace and length of your stride will make a
difference. More seasoned cane travelers may wish to have a longer cane,
measuring at least chin height.

For children, teens, and young adults who are first-time cane users, we
recommend measuring from your chin to the floor. More seasoned cane
travelers may wish to have a longer cane, measuring at least nose height.

Steve Cook

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LddWwCJNPHI> Click here to view the PSA
for the National Federation of the Blind of SC

 <http://www.nfbofsc.org> www.nfbofsc.org

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> Follow the National
Federation of the Blind of SC On Face Book

 <http://www.rockybottomofsc.com/index/index.php> www.RockyBottomofSC.com

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Follow Rocky Bottom Retreat &
Conference Center on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Follow the Computer Science & Technology Division of SC
on Face Book

District 2 NFB of SC State Board Member

1st Vice President of the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB
of SC