[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1707

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 1 12:36:11 UTC 2019

May 1, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Only six days to go until May 7, when we will be primarily
raising much needed funds for Rocky Bottom through the Midlands Gives
program.  As stated earlier, the emphasis this year is to raise funds for
Rocky Bottom; however, contributions to the NFB of SC will be greatly
appreciated.  If you would like to donate to Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center, click on the below link.
https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom.

              If you would like to donate to the National Federation of the
Blind of SC (NFB of SC), click on the below
https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC.

              If you are uncomfortable using a computer to make a donation
or do not have one, you can come by or call the Federation Center, (803)
254-3777 on Tuesday, May 7, and we will assist you with your donation.  We
will also be having a "watch party" with refreshments sponsored by the NFB
of SC Seniors Division at the Federation Center on May 7, from 11:00 a.m. to
2:00 p.m. for those individuals who would like to make a donation to Rocky
Bottom.  We will be especially working hard to raise the most unique
contributions between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m.  The non-profit organization who
receives the most unique contributions during this hour will also receive an
additional $2500 for their group.  The six state board district and state
wide divisions will be competing among themselves to see who can secure the
most unique contributions for Rocky Bottom.  A trophy will be presented at
this year's state convention to the district or statewide division who
secures the highest number of unique contributions during Midlands Gives on
May 7.  During the few days remaining, I am asking all of us to make a
concerted effort to spread this information to members of our family, local
businesses, neighbors, and friends.  By all of us throughout the state
working together, we can all help to financially support Rocky Bottom and
the NFB of SC with this wonderful fund raising opportunity!

              You can now begin to make your hotel reservations for the 2019
NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at the Marriott Hotel in
Columbia August 9-11.  Room rates are very affordable.  Rates for this
year's convention are $112 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition
to the room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 14 percent.  The
deadline to make reservations will be July 15, 2019.  There will also be a
limited number of rooms available for the $112 rate Thursday, August 8, for
those individuals wanting to arrive to the hotel a day prior to the official
start of the convention.  If you pay in advance, your reservation will be
guaranteed: however, you will not have to pay as long as you arrive by 6:00
p.m.  Any amount you pay, of course, will be applied toward your bill.  The
Marriott Hotel has given the NFB of SC a block of rooms to reserve until
July 15.  If you wait until after July 15, to make your hotel reservation,
the hotel may not have an available room for you and you will not be
eligible for the convention room rate of $112.  You can make your room
reservations by calling the Marriott toll free reservation telephone number
(800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000 and inform the reservationist you are
reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
state convention.  At this year's state convention, we will be celebrating
the seventy-fifth anniversary of our organization.  We are planning special
activities throughout the weekend to commemorate this wonderful milestone.
We are expecting a large turnout for this convention so you may want to make
your hotel reservations early.  This will be a very special and historic
convention you do not want to miss!

              You can also begin to preregister for the NFB of SC 2019 state
convention.  The total preregistration package is $80 which includes a very
special Friday evening reception, continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday
morning of the convention, the Saturday Luncheon and the Saturday evening
Banquet. The preregistration period will end August 2, after which time the
cost to register for the state convention will be $100.  We will again offer
a discount for families with children during the preregistration period.
Parents will pay the $80 preregistration fee and each child eighteen years
of age and younger will pay $20.  There will also be a discount to college
students in the amount of $50 during the preregistration period.

              I am sad to report Phil Patterson, a longtime member and
leader of our Pickens chapter passed away on Monday, April 29, due to
diabetic complications.  I am also sad to report Rhonda Thompson's mother
passed away late last week.  Rhonda Thompson is the Director of the SC
Commission for the Blind's Older Blind program and she has been very
instrumental in the success of the two Senior Camps held annually at Rocky
Bottom for many years.  All of us in the NFB of SC need to keep both of
these families in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               This week we are spotlighting a longtime member of the
Spartanburg Chapter.  As this is our 75th anniversary year, the Spartanburg
Chapter is where it all began in 1944.  As the spotlight turns to Betty
Phillips we note that she was raised in the Walterboro area in Colleton
County.  She attended the public schools there until eighth grade where she
then did attend the SC School for the Blind.  At the School for the Blind
she received training in Braille literacy, cooking and homemaking skills.
It was one of her teachers who referred her to the NFB and she has been a
Spartanburg Chapter member for over two decades.

              Betty Phillips then got married and has resided in Spartanburg
ever since.  She used her training at SCSDB to do babysitting and to be a
good homemaker.  She has two children and two grandchildren.

              In the Spartanburg Chapter Betty Phillips has been a Social
Director, organizing trips and activities with the membership.  She hopes to
attend the NFB of SC's 75th anniversary celebration convention in Columbia
this August.  Her hobbies include walking, reading, and doing chapter
fundraisers like selling tickets, coupon books, etc. for the chapter.  She
especially loves Rocky Bottom and is planning to attend the Spring Senior
Camp in a few weeks.  She also likes to attend the RBRCCB fishing trips and
has caught the biggest fish one year which gave her the opportunity to
participate in the North Carolina Lions Outer Banks Regional fishing
tournament.  Betty is also active in her church assisting with Vacation
Bible Schools and other youth activities.  Let's salute Betty Phillips of
the Spartanburg Chapter for her longtime service and dedication to the blind
of the Upstate.

Final Thought:   If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are
right.