[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1708

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 8 13:03:42 UTC 2019

May 8, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I want to take this opportunity to thank those of you who
participated in the Midlands Gives fund raising event which was held
yesterday, May 7, in Columbia.  As all of you know, efforts were made this
year to concentrate on raising much needed funds for Rocky Bottom.  I am
very pleased to announce this year's fund raising event was a huge success
as we were able to raise $3,798 with fifty-nine donors contributing.  I am
also very pleased to report we were able to collect thirty-nine unique
contributions during the 12:00 to 1:00 "power hour".  Since we had the most
unique contributions during this hour for small nonprofits, we will be
receiving an additional $2,500 from the Aflac Insurance Company for Rocky
Bottom which gives us a grand total of $6,298.  A very special thanks goes
to Valerie and Larry Warrington for all of their hard work during the past
few months with this project which made it possible for Rocky Bottom to
again participate in this program.  I also want to thank Jennifer Bazer and
our staff from the NFB of SC's Successful Transitions program for their
assistance yesterday as they were stationed at various businesses located
throughout the Columbia area raising funds for Rocky Bottom through Midland
Gives. I would also like to recognize the NFB of SC Seniors Division and
Isaiah Nelson for sponsoring and serving refreshments between the hours of
11:00 a.m. and 2:00 pm at the Federation Center.  Finally, I would like to
recognize Libby Farr and Dondra Bible for their assistance in helping
individuals make their online contributions to Rocky Bottom.  It has been
said on many occasions awesome things can happen when individuals pull
together and work as a team.  This cannot be more clearly demonstrated than
what occurred on Tuesday, May 7, during our Midlands Gives fund raising
campaign.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
NFB of SC Seniors division.  "Calling all Senior's:  May 14, at 4 p.m.
eastern time, there will be another National Senior Division Conference
Call.  The guest speaker will be Jan Bailey.  She will be discussing healthy
eating and sharing recipes.  This should be very informative.  Again, the
phone number is:  515-603-3166; access number: 759633 pound.

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook, Chairperson of the
NFB of SC Scholarship Committee.  "As many students are finishing up the
academic school year, it is a good time to turn your attention to applying
for a NFB of SC Scholarship.  The Scholarship deadline is June 9th.
Application and scholarship info can be found at www.nfbofsc.org.  I look
forward to receiving many, many applications this year.  With the Successful
Transitions program growing, and with many educators in our midst, I expect
that we will have a large group of students to apply this year!  Please pass
this information far and wide.  Competition makes us all work harder to be
able to be our best!"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week's spotlight falls upon a longtime federation member
and chapter president who has exhibited many talents.  I am speaking of
Charles Black of Camden.  Charles was born in Gastonia, NC where he spent
most of his first 25 years.  He then moved to South Carolina and later to
Columbia. This is where his life really began.  Charles Black's mother, Sue
Aldridge, is still alive in Clover, SC while his Father, Gary Dale Black,
has passed on.  He was the child of two mill workers who had a vision for
their blinded son that he not live in the world that they grew up in.

              Charles graduated as salutatorian of his High School, The
Governor Morehead School and he was a five time state champion wrestler. He
then went to North Carolina State University where he was hit by a car and
received a brain injury. The next seven years of his life were turbulent.
Charles then came to Columbia where her went through the Commission for The
Blind and began his new life. The Commission helped him to see that he did
have a future. Shortly after leaving the Commission, he worked for Apex call
center on Broad Street. It is here he recognized that his talents were being
wasted. During the next several years, Charles went through Midlands
Technical College followed by the University of South Carolina and received
an IT Bachelor's degree. He worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield for the next
several years but found that Mainframe work was not his calling. He went
back to Bellevue University and received his Master's degree in Cyber
Security. It was difficult to convince the sighted world that a blind man
could do Cyber Security. Charles went and earned his Security+ Certification
as well as his GSEC, a Global Information Assurance Certification,
recognized by governmental agencies. He went to work for DHEC. Now, he is on
the hunt again and getting very close to an opportunity.

              Charles Black was introduced to this wonderful organization by
long time members of the National Federation, Pat and Dale Wolthoff. Once
introduced, he was overwhelmed by the large group of blind people who fight
for their rights on a national and local level. Seeing what they do, for
themselves, made him want to be a part of this group with awesome leadership
and the same dreams he shared. Once he joined this group, he witnessed the
way blind persons are trodden on and pushed to the side.

              Charles Black became involved with the NFB of SC by teaching
clients of the Commission and Veterans to use computers, developing projects
for blind businessmen, training those who needed computer training in the
blind community, taking part in functions and representing the Federation as
well as possible. He was honored by receiving the National Federation of The
Blind Student Scholarship in 2007. He restarted a chapter here in Camden,
called the Kershaw County Area Chapter. They had a successful couple of
years, having public events when the city was having other things going on
and having a little influence with the local Chamber of Commerce. They also
sponsored, along with the NFB of SC President Parnell Diggs and other
Federation leaders, an operatic event one year. Charles has been chapter
president, held several positions in the Computer Technology Division and
president of the Students Division. He is currently Second Vice-President of
the Technology Division and is taking part in developing the Rocky Bottom
web presence. Charles and his wife Salina attempt to take part in this
wonderful organization which has continued and will never stop as long as he
is able, and the federation accepts my assistance.

              Charles loves to learn, help others and offer his assistance
where ever needed. This may sound like a line. However, helping others makes
his heart grow.  Charles has been a member of Toast Masters, is currently a
member of Colasec (a local Cyber group), ISC2 Midlands Chapter (a
Cybersecurity group), and is an aspiring leader within the NFB of SC. His
vision is to have all blind people help one another through legislation,
public functions and by inspiring one another while having a good time. The
secret is to have activities that achieve a goal, do things that have
results that all can see and benefit from, and follow the national policies.
If the national has a working product, why should we not FOLLOW THEIR LEAD.

Final Thought:   The actor who played Chubaka in Star Wars passed away last
Friday.  In his honor and in honor of Star Wars, "May the 4th be with you."