[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1731

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 12:34:59 UTC 2019

October 15, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              After visiting family and friends for the past ten days in
Oregon and Colorado, it was good to return home to South Carolina on October
11.  On Thursday, October 10, Shelley and I were treated to approximately
three inches of snow and a daytime high temperature of 28 degrees.  When we
flew out of Denver the next day the temperature was a balmy 19 degrees.
Although we had a wonderful time attending a family wedding and being with
family and friends, it is great to be home in the sunny, warm South!

              On Saturday, October 12, Shelley and I along with Columbia
chapter members Dorothy Barksdale, Mary Peters, Jesse Burgess, Isaiah and
Anthony Nelson traveled to Greenville to participate in the Greenville
Chapter's Meet the Blind Month activity.  The activity consisted of a mile
and three quarter White Cane walk, a BBQ lunch, raffle and door prizes.
Each participant was given a bag filled with goodies and NFB literature.
Approximately thirty people were in attendance.  Congratulations to the
Greenville chapter for a job well done as it was evident a great deal of
effort and planning was done for this event.

              Governor McMaster has proclaimed October 15, 2019, as White
Cane Day.  Below, is his proclamation.

State of South Carolina Governor's Proclamation

              Whereas, the white cane is a simple yet effective tool of
independence that contributes to the self-sufficiency of individuals who are
blind and visually impaired and symbolizes their ability to achieve a full
and independent life and their capacity to work productively in competitive
employment; and

              Whereas, the white cane is a symbol of dignity and
determination as well as a tangible reminder that individuals with impaired
eyesight are able to go, to move, to be, to compete and to contribute with
all others in society and to lead full, independent and productive lives;
and

              Whereas, established by the National Federation of the Blind,
the annual observance of "White Cane Day" emphasizes the need for all
Americans to be aware of the presence of persons with disabilities in our
communities and to work together to keep the streets, highways, sidewalks,
walkways, public buildings and facilities, and places of public
accommodation, amusement, and resort safe and functional to the disability
community; and

              Whereas, the 2019 observance of "White Cane Day" provides an
opportunity for people across the Palmetto State and the nation to renew
their dedication to eliminating barriers for persons who are blind and
visually impaired and to recognize their value as individuals, employees,
and productive members of our communities.

              Now, therefore, I, Henry McMaster, Governor of the Great State
of South Carolina, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2019 as

WHITE CANE DAY

              Throughout the state and encourage all South Carolinians to
show respect for those who carry the white cane, to honor their many
achievements, and to reaffirm our commitment to improving access to basic
services and opportunities for persons who are blind and visually impaired.

Seal of the state of South Carolina

Henry McMaster, Governor

State of South Carolina

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               Upon entering the Federation Center for the chapter meeting
last Thursday, October 10, I detected a wonderful aroma from inside.  As we
took our seats I soon found out the reason for this wonderful aroma.  I
noticed that the two plates placed in front of me included one plate full of
grits - that's correct - I tried the grits and they were wonderful.  Then I
examined the other dish.  I found it contained a feast.  There were
scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and a biscuit and to top it all off, the
dessert consisted of cherry cobbler.  Incidentally, you could eat as much as
you wanted participating in this magnificent breakfast meal.  For this
month's special meal the charge was $10 instead of the usual $6 dinner
charge.  Ike Nelson headed up the kitchen committee and he was helped by
several members who prepared and served the meal.  Nowadays it's probably
unusual to have the same thing for breakfast and supper.  I will not forget
this particular meal which was enjoyed by all.  When I was growing up in
Marion County, my mother served the same thing for breakfast and dinner and
I had this so frequently.  We started serving dinner by the Columbia Chapter
at the Federation Center several decades ago.  For many years the Telephone
Pioneers served the monthly meal for the chapter.  In more recent times,
however, Isaiah Nelson and his volunteers include members like Catherine
Williams and Gloria Washington.  I'm convinced that meals served at meetings
improve attendance and interest.  Other business held at this meeting
included election of chapter board members.  The 2020 Board of Directors is
as follows:  President Tiffiny Mitchell, First Vice President Isaiah Nelson,
Second Vice President Jennifer Bazer, Secretary Dorothy Barksdale, Treasurer
Thom Spittle, and the two at-large board members are Steve Cook and Mike
Sutton.  P.S.:  We welcome back the Coppel's who returned from their travels
in Oregon and Colorado.  You were missed!

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  White Cane Safety
Day Proclamation - Spread the word!