[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1733

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 30 12:58:48 UTC 2019

October 30, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              During last week's fall Senior Camp, the seniors were asked to
consider starting a fund to replace the commercial freezer and refrigerator
in the Conference Center kitchen.  There was a great deal of generosity
demonstrated as the twenty seniors who attended last week's camp along with
volunteer staff immediately reached into their pockets and raised $541 in a
very brief period of time.  Both the freezer and refrigerator are
approximately 28 years old as they were purchased when the Conference Center
first opened in 1991.  During the past year or so, Rocky Bottom has had to
make extensive repairs on both pieces of equipment to where it has reached
the point of being impractical to continue paying for costly repairs as
parts for these appliances are obsolete.  The estimated cost to replace the
commercial freezer and refrigerator is approximately $10,000.  As we
approach the holiday season, it is my hope chapters, divisions, members and
friends will follow the example of these senior camp participants and we
will be able to raise the monies necessary to replace this much needed
kitchen equipment.

              In a few days, NFB of SC and RBRCCB Board members will be
receiving letters regarding the 2019 Christmas Board Retreat which will
occur at Rocky Bottom the weekend of December 6, December 7, and December 8.
Saturday, December 7, will be a busy day as we will again be holding two
Board meetings beginning with the RBRCCB Board of Directors meeting which
will start at 9:30 a.m. and with the NFB of SC Board of Directors meeting
which will start at 2:00 p.m.  Saturday evening will be a time for observing
the Christmas season, singing carols, exchanging presents, eating delicious
desserts and fellowship. If you are planning to attend, please contact the
Federation Center (803) 254-3777 or return the reply card enclosed with your
letter in order for us to have an accurate head count for meals.  If you
cannot attend, please contact me at (803) 796-8662 or email me at
frankcoppel at att.net prior to December 6.  Please make your reservations as
soon as possible as sleeping accommodations will be limited due to a group
renting Osterneck Cottage during this same weekend.

              I am positive all of you are working very hard to sell your $1
national convention bus fund tickets.  Money raised from this fundraiser
will be used to charter a bus for those individuals to attend the 2020 NFB
national convention in Houston Texas.  Remember, the drawing will be held at
the conclusion of the Statewide Seminar on January 4, 2020.  The individual
who purchases the winning ticket will receive $300, the seller of the
winning ticket will receive $100 and the chapter who sells the most tickets
will receive $300.  Chartering a bus will provide many of our members a more
affordable means of transportation to attend the national convention.  It
will cost approximately $11,500 to $12,000 to charter one bus.  It is
imperative all of us make a concerted effort to sell as many tickets as
possible to raise the necessary funds to accomplish this goal.

              We have an announcement from Isaiah Nelson.  "I will be
hosting the fourth annual Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, November 28, 2019
at the Federation Center located at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC,
29205.  The time of the dinner will be 2:00 p.m.  The cost of the meal will
be $15.00 per person. Please arrive before 1:50 p.m.  Menu Includes:
Turkey, ribs, ham, Mac N' Cheese, mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, lima
beans, potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, Cakes & Pies, Tea & Lemonade.
Contact Isaiah Nelson to reserve your spot at 803-413-2434."

              We have an announcement from the President's Notebook from the
week of October 14-18.  "The American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults and National Federation of the Blind announce the 2019-2020
nationwide Braille Readers are Leaders contest for children and adults. K-12
students and adults learning Braille across the U.S. compete to read the
most Braille pages, going up against other participants in similar contest
categories for seven weeks. Registration opens November 1, 2019 and the
contest will be from December 1, 2019 to January 18, 2020. It isn't too
early to start getting ready for the contest. One way to prepare is by
getting books from ShareBraille.org"

              On Monday of this week, David Houck was informed by Dr. Capp's
son, Craig, that Dr. Capps had been admitted to the hospital this past
weekend because of serious health issues.  At this time, all of us in our
federation family need to keep Dr. Capps and Craig in our thoughts and
prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Focus on the future
- It is a blank canvas replete with opportunities and possibilities!