[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1726

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 12:39:45 UTC 2019

September 11, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Before we turn our attention to other activities in the NFB of
SC, I would like to share with you numbers regarding the Fun Day which
occurred at Rocky Bottom on August 31.  We were able to raise $5,034.69 in
gross proceeds.  Fun Day Lunch $290.00, Fun Day food for weekend $750.00,
Fun Day Tickets $2,555.00, T-shirts $92.00, Fun Day Yard Sale 82.69.00, Fun
Day Auction $1,265.00.

              It is time to turn our attention toward Meet the Blind Month
which is held during the month of October.  This is an extremely important
event, because it provides our members the opportunity to educate the public
of the programs and services offered by the National Federation of the
Blind.  Meet the Blind Month activities can also be used as a recruitment
tool to introduce blind individuals to our organization.  It is my hope many
of our chapters and divisions are planning activities in their respective
communities to promote this worthwhile event.  Let me know if your chapter
or division will be having a Meet the Blind Month activity and I will be
glad to share this information in the Positive Note.  If you are still
looking for ideas for the month, a recommendation is to focus on web and
technology accessibility. Here are some ideas: demonstrate accessibility and
the tools used for daily activities using an iPhone or computer at a public
library, a local event, or a school; or plan a presentation to a local
business such as a bank. If you aren't comfortable with a technology
demonstration, plan an event in your local community to talk about blindness
and the NFB philosophy. There is still time to order materials from the
Independence Market such as Braille alphabet cards.

              During the next two weeks or so, all of you should be
receiving your 2020 Houston bus fund tickets.  Let's do all we can to raise
the necessary funds to charter a bus so that as many of our members as
possible will be able attend the 2020 national convention in Houston Texas.
As we have done previously, tickets will cost $1.  Remember, the winner of
the winning ticket which will be drawn on January 4, 2020 at the Statewide
Seminar will win $300, the seller of the winning ticket will receive $100,
and the Chapter selling the most tickets will win $300.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               An adequate hotel facility is essential to accommodate a
federation convention.  For some 30 years I have worked with hotels in South
Carolina to be sure that each facility could accommodate NFB of SC
conventions.  On three or four occasions, however, we did hold NFB of SC
conventions on another site.  I specifically recall utilizing Clemson
University for an NFB of SC convention some 40 years ago or about 1980.
Although Clemson went all out to assist the NFB of SC, there were situations
where they were not able to provide such things as telephone service from
room to room.  During that particular convention university officials told
me that they would like to see me.  I immediately went to the lobby and a
very attractive African-American lady greeted me.  She had read in the
Greenville News that the NFB of SC convention was being held at Clemson
University and she had an interest in our work with the blind.  Her interest
was for a good reason.  She reported that her mother was blind and had been
a teacher.  I'm referring to none other than the late Ruth Jordan.  This
meeting resulted in Mrs. Jordan combined with a foundation proving to be of
tremendous financial assistance to the Federation Center of the Blind and to
Rocky Bottom.  Ruth Jordan introduced Maxine Bock and her foundation to the
federation in this regard.  On more than one occasion Mrs. Jordan made a
contribution of $100 without being solicited.  We wanted to especially honor
Mrs. Jordan's mother.  Shortly after the convention, Mrs. Jordan traveled to
Rocky Bottom so that she could see what was being done to develop this
unique program.  Mrs. Jordan passed a few years ago.  We offered to name one
of the Conference Center rooms the "Carrie Lee Cox Memorial Library" in her
mother's honor.  Mrs. Jordan was responsible for contributions to federation
programs.  We also set up a meeting with Mrs. Jordan in Spartanburg where we
had an excellent experience which resulted in a significant contribution to
the School for the Blind.  Mrs. Jordan was a school teacher.  I believe Mrs.
Jordan joined the Greenville Chapter which resulted in her being responsible
for the chapter's annual scholarship for the blind in that area.  I'm glad
there were no telephones in the Clemson University rooms as otherwise we
would never have met Mrs. Jordan.

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Don't just be a
spectator.  Get involved with your local chapter or division.  Fundraise for
Rocky Bottom, the NFB of SC and the NFB.  Transforming dreams into reality
requires your active participation!