[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1755

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 12:43:03 UTC 2020

April 1, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              For the past two Sunday evenings, I have participated in two
national teleconferences for state and national division presidents
conducted by President Riccobono regarding the Covid 19 virus as it relates
to the overall operation of our national organization.  As of March 24, the
Jernigan Institute has been closed and all staff are working from home.  You
can still contact a staff member if you need to do so either by calling the
Jernigan Institute (410) 659-9314 and dialing their office extension number
or by emailing them.  The Independence Market is closed and will not open
until further notice.  You can still receive a cane through the Free White
Cane program; however, shipments of canes will only be made once a week.
President Riccobono made it quite clear the NFB national convention In
Houston is being held as planned.  He encouraged everyone to continue to
make their hotel reservations.  He stated because of technical difficulties,
the preregistration link for the national convention is still down, however,
the link should be up and running in a few days.  President Riccobono
informed us there is currently a page on the NFB website, nfb.org/covid 19
that lists resources and virtual training opportunities available for blind
people throughout the country.

              This past Thursday, March 26, the NFB of SC held a
teleconference via Zoom for the purpose of discussing the affect the Covid
19 virus is having on our state organization and to address needs and
concerns, if any, by our members as it relates to these uncertain times.
Over eighteen people from throughout the state participated.  After a
national report was given, I informed the participants the Federation Center
is remaining open and do not hesitate to contact David Houck or myself if
there are any questions or concerns needing to be addressed.  Jennifer Bazer
informed everyone Successful Transitions is conducting virtual training for
their students and she invited those interested individuals to participate
in these training programs.  I made it quite clear we were still planning to
hold our state convention in North Charleston August 21-23.  I strongly
encouraged everyone to continue to make their room reservations with the
North Charleston Marriott Hotel.  All those who participated felt the
teleconference was beneficial and it was decided to continue to schedule
these teleconferences on a weekly basis on Thursday evenings at 5:00, with
the next scheduled meeting being held on April 2.

              The Spring meetings of the Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind Board of Directors and the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina Board of Directors will be held on Saturday, April
18, 2020.  The RBRCCB Board of Directors meeting will begin at 10:00 a.m.
and the meeting of the NFB of SC Board of Directors meeting will begin at
1:00 p.m.  In an effort to decrease transportation expense by board members
and because of the current uncertainty regarding the coronavirus situation,
both board meetings will be held via the Zoom platform.  I look forward to
having all board members present for each meeting.  Of course, these
meetings are always open to our membership. I strongly encourage Federation
members to attend both meetings via the Zoom platform and to actively
participate in the discussions.

              If you are a board member, please call the Federation Center
(803) 254-3777) or email the Center at nfbsc at sc.rr.com if you are planning
to attend.  If you cannot attend, please contact me at (803) 796-8662 or
email me at frankcoppel at att.net prior to April 18.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  Inspiration, initiative,
information, innovation, and impact.