[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1756

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 8 12:36:57 UTC 2020

April 8, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As we have done for the past two years, the NFB of SC and
Rocky Bottom will be participating in Midland Gives which is scheduled to be
held on Tuesday, May 5, 2020.  As was done last year, if you would like to
donate to the NFB of SC please do so, however, this year we will again want
to concentrate heavily on raising funds to meet the ongoing needs at Rocky
Bottom.  If you are uncomfortable using a computer to make a donation or do
not have one, you can call the Federation Center, (803) 254-3777 on Tuesday,
May 5, and we will assist you with your donation.  We will be especially
working hard to raise the most unique contributions between 12 noon and 1:00
p.m.  The non-profit organization who receives the most unique contributions
during this hour will also receive an additional $2,000 for their group.  If
you recall, last year Rocky Bottom collected the most unique contributions
during the "power hour" and was awarded an additional $2,500.  As we did
last year, I am asking the six state board districts and state wide
divisions to compete among themselves to see who can secure the most unique
contributions for Rocky Bottom.  A trophy will be presented to the district
or division who secures the highest number of unique contributions during
Midlands Gives on May 5.  Recognition of this accomplishment will be
announced at our 2020 state convention in North Charleston. Last year, we
recognized district five for securing the most unique contributions and
Successful Transitions for raising the most money.  I am asking all chapter
presidents to please work closely with your district board representative
and share this information with your members.  I fully understand this is a
very difficult time financially for many people.  However, I would like to
strongly encourage all of us to do what we can to spread this information to
neighbors, friends, and family an effort to financially support Rocky Bottom
and the NFB of SC with this wonderful fund raising opportunity!

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook, chairperson of the
NFB of SC Scholarship committee.  "Scholarship Announcement 2020.  It is now
Scholarship Season in the NFB of SC!  With the state convention being August
21-23, the deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. June 19,
2020.  The committee will select the top three applicants, and they will be
notified approximately one month prior to the state convention. The updated
scholarship application is now available at www.nfbofsc.org.  Please also
remember that the scholarship program operates on donations exclusively.  If
you or your chapter would like to contribute a scholarship or make a
donation to the Metro Fund, please get in touch with me, Shannon Cook, and
Valerie Warrington, NFB of SC Treasurer.  Also, please help us get the word
out about the program.  If you or someone you know is in school full time,
please encourage them to apply for a scholarship!  Thank you."

              On Sunday evening, April 5, I again participated in a
telephone conference for state affiliate and division leaders.  President
Riccobono reported our national board of directors have decided the current
policy regarding the suspension of in-person Federation events has been
extended through May 31, 2020, or later if local conditions require it.  As
a result of this policy, chapters of the NFB of SC will not conduct any
in-person events during this time.  Also, Spring Senior camp scheduled for
May 17-21, the upstate fishing scheduled for May29-30, at Rocky Bottom and
the NFB of SC state picnic scheduled for May 30 at Saluda Shoals State park
in Columbia have all been canceled.

              In closing, I sincerely hope all of you are healthy and are
remaining safe.  As more restrictions are put on our state and our nation,
it is extremely important we continue to reach out and remain connected as a
Federation family.  I strongly encourage chapters, if at all possible, to
conduct their monthly meetings virtually via the Zoom platform.  If you need
technical assistance in this area, please contact Thom Spittle at (803)
331-3344 or at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  50 ways to beat this
virus;

              Stay away from the pack, Jack; Don't visit your Gran, Stan;
Wipe down every toy, Roy; to keep virus free.

              Don't hop on the bus, Gus; Don't listen to Jon, Ron; Don't
hoard the TP, Lee; Just stay virus free.

              Sneeze into your sleeve, Steve; Stop touching your face,
Grace; Keep back to six feet, Pete; Heed the CDC.

              Just use the Purell, Mel; Keep wipes in your purse, Nurse;
Take care of your stock, Doc; You need PPE.

              This isn't Spring Break, Jake; Stay home if you're sick, Dick;
AS COVID leaps peeps; Just follow the rules, fools; And stay virus free.