[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1758

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 22 12:55:28 UTC 2020

April 22, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This past Saturday, April 18, the spring meetings of the
RBRCCB and the NFB of SC Board of Directors were held via the Zoom platform.
There was an excellent turnout for both of these meetings as we had nearly
100 percent of the RBRCCB Board of Directors in attendance and 100 percent
of the NFB of SC Board of Directors present.  We also had an excellent
turnout of federation members who are not on either board, but who
participated actively in both meetings.  This was the first attempt
conducting board meetings in this fashion and I am certain it will not be
the last.

              As a result of Covid 19, Rocky Bottom has received little or
no income during the past couple of months.  The RBRCCB board extensively
discussed ways to raise funds in an effort to alleviate this financial
crisis.  Ideas discussed were to continue seeking Walmart foundation grants,
revamping the Fun Day Festival, and again participating in Midland Gives.

              What is Midlands Gives?

              Hosted by Central Carolina Community Foundation, Midlands
Gives is an 18-hour online giving event that brings the region together as
one community, raising money and awareness for local nonprofits in 11
Midlands counties.

              When is Midlands Gives?

              Midlands Gives will take place online on Tuesday, May 5, 2020,
from 6:00 am to 11:59:59 pm, Eastern Time.

              How does it work?

              Central Carolina Community Foundation has set up an online
giving platform at MidlandsGives.org with searchable profiles of
participating nonprofits. All donations will be processed through this
website, which allows nonprofits and donors to track the giving on May 5th
via the site's leaderboards.  If you would like to donate to Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center, click on the below link.

https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom

              If you would like to donate to the National Federation of the
Blind of SC (NFB of SC), click on the below

https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC

              If you would like to donate to the NFB of SC please do so,
however, because of its financial situation, we will be concentrating
heavily on raising funds to meet the ongoing needs at Rocky Bottom.  If you
are uncomfortable using a computer to make a donation or do not have one
available, you can call on Tuesday, May 5, and we will assist you with your
donation.  We will be especially working hard to raise the most unique
contributions between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m.  The non-profit organization who
receives the most unique contributions during this hour will also receive an
additional $2,000 for their group.  As we did last year, I am asking the six
state board districts and state wide divisions to compete among themselves
to see who can secure the most unique contributions for Rocky Bottom.  A
trophy will be presented to the district or division who secures the highest
number of unique contributions during Midlands Gives on May 5.  Recognition
of this accomplishment will be announced at our 2020 state convention in
North Charleston. Last year, we recognized district five for securing the
most unique contributions and Successful Transitions for raising the most
money.  I am asking all chapter presidents to please work closely with your
district board representative and share this information with your members.
I fully understand this is a very difficult time financially for many
people.  However, I would like to strongly encourage all of us to do what we
can to spread this information to neighbors, friends, and family an effort
to financially support Rocky Bottom and the NFB of SC.

              During the NFB of SC board meeting, a great deal of time was
spent discussing the effects of Covid 19 on various programs of the NFB of
SC and this year's state convention logistics as it relates to the ongoing
pandemic situation.  The state board will meet on Monday evening, June 1, at
7:00 to make a final decision as to what will be the safest and effective
way to hold our 2020 state convention.  The board also discussed at great
length the need to communicate more effectively with our membership during
these difficult times.  To that end, we will be resuming our NFB of SC
Family Connects weekly meetings via the Zoom platform Thursday, April 23, at
5:00 p.m.  Topics covered will be details regarding the upcoming virtual NFB
National Convention, the 2020 NFB of SC state convention, and Midlands
Gives.

To participate in the meeting call:  929-205-6099

Meeting id: 803-254-3777.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  One good sign of
transforming your dreams into reality is how you take an unfortunate
situation, being creative and determined, finding a positive way to still
pursue your dreams.