[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1759

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 29 12:48:51 UTC 2020

April 29, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            As we have done for the past two years, the NFB of SC and rocky
Bottom will be participating in Midland Gives which is scheduled to be held
on Tuesday, May 5, 2020.

If you would like to donate to Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center,
click on the below link.

 <https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom>
https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom

If you would like to donate to the National Federation of the Blind of SC
(NFB of SC), click on the below

 <https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC>
https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC

            As was done last year, if you would like to donate to the NFB of
SC please do so, however, this year we will again want to concentrate
heavily on raising funds to meet the ongoing needs at Rocky Bottom.  As a
result of the current pandemic, Rocky Bottom is experiencing an extremely
limited cash flow at this time.  For this reason, it is critical all of us
need to do all we can to raise funds for Rocky Bottom.  If you are
uncomfortable using a computer to make a donation or do not have one
available, you can call on Tuesday, May 5, between 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m.
and we will assist you with your donation.  If you need assistance you can
call Valerie Warrington at (803) 271-1937, or David Houck at (803) 254-3777.
When you call, please have your credit card information readily available.
We will be especially working hard to raise the most unique contributions
between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m.  The non-profit organization who receives the
most unique contributions during this hour will also receive an additional
$2,000 for their group.  Midland Gives defines a unique contribution as "one
contribution per credit card".  Although you can contribute as much as you
would like, the minimum contribution you can give this year is $10.  If you
recall, last year Rocky Bottom collected the most unique contributions
during the "power hour" and was awarded an additional $2500.  As we did last
year, I am asking the six state board districts and state wide divisions to
compete with each other to see who can secure the most unique contributions
for Rocky Bottom.  A trophy will be presented to the district or division
who secures the highest number of unique contributions during Midlands Gives
on May 5.  Recognition of this accomplishment will be announced in August at
our 2020 state convention. Last year, we recognized district five for
securing the most unique contributions and Successful Transitions for
raising the most money.  I am asking all chapter presidents to Please work
closely with your district board representative and share this information
with your members.  I fully understand this is a very difficult time
financially for many people.  However, I would like to strongly encourage
all of us to do what we can to spread this information to neighbors,
friends, and family an effort to financially support Rocky Bottom and the
NFB of SC.

            This is a reminder due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United
States, the national convention of the National Federation of the Blind,
originally scheduled for Houston, Texas, from July 14-19, is going virtual.
The organized blind movement will connect blind Americans for the largest
gathering of the blind in history!

            The 2020 national convention will include most of the elements
conventioneers expect, with some new twists. Details about registration for
the convention, as well as details of the convention schedule and logistics
as they become available, can be found at  <http://www.nfb.org/convention>
www.nfb.org/convention.

            Registration is free, and so I strongly encourage all of you to
go online and register for this year's NFB National convention.  If you do
not register, you will not be eligible to receive a door prize during the
general sessions of the convention.  If you need assistance to fill out the
online registration form, feel free to contact David Houck at the Federation
Center at (803) 254-3777.  Also, those of you who have already made room
reservations at the Hilton Americas Hotel or the Marriott Marquis, you
should have already received a room cancelation notice.  The full refund on
the room deposit should be forth coming during the next two weeks.

            We have an announcement from the President's Notebook of 4-20.
"Attend the May Presidential Release (#494) of the National Federation of
the Blind on May 1, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks and
updates from the elected President of the National Federation of the Blind,
the organization's first vice president, Pam Allen, will moderate questions.
Members of the Federation are encouraged to attend, and non-members are
warmly welcomed. Send your questions in advance to
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR494 in the subject
line or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473.

Zoom meeting for Live Presidential Release

Meeting ID: 935 0745 1766

Web   <https://zoom.us/j/93507451766> https://zoom.us/j/93507451766

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,93507451766# US (Chicago)

+16468769923,,93507451766# US (New York)

Dial by your location

When dialing via phone, you will be prompted to enter the meeting ID: 935
0745 1766

1 253 215 8782 US

Meeting Id:  935 0745 1766

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  Those who plan ahead for
times of trouble will outlast those who did not plan, placing them into a
much stronger position in the marketplace.