[NFBofSC] Be My Eyes

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 19 10:47:50 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know about one of my favorite apps, the name of it is
"Be My Eyes" and it is free! This app is for IOS and Android. I have used
this app for getting cooking directions, checking the filter on our
refrigerator to see if it needs to be changed, the name of the product,
looking for liquid nail, color of clothing, looking for an item, reading my
computer screen ETC.

Bringing sight to blind and low-vision people

Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with
sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through
a live video call.

How it works

Every day, sighted volunteers lend their eyes to solve tasks big and small
to help blind and low-vision people lead more independent lives.

Blind or low-vision person requests assistance

As a blind or low-vision person, whenever you need visual assistance, our
volunteers are happy to help. Through the live video call, you and a
volunteer can communicate directly and solve a problem. The volunteer will
help guide which direction to point your camera, what to focus on or when to
turn on your torch.

Sighted volunteer receives video call

As a sighted volunteer you can help just by installing the Be My Eyes app. A
blind or a low-vision user may need help with anything from checking expiry
dates, distinguishing colors, reading instructions or navigating new
surroundings.

https://www.bemyeyes.com/

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC

Board member at large of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

 <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org> www.carshelpingtheblind.org
or call 855 659 9314