[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1748

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 13:35:28 UTC 2020

February 12, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Hello from Washington D.C. where Shelley and I along with more
than five hundred Federationists representing 52 affiliates of the National
Federation of the Blind have gathered in our nation's capital for the
purpose of discussing with their congressional delegation the legislative
agenda of the nation's blind.  On Saturday afternoon, February 8, I traveled
to Baltimore, Maryland to participate in a State Presidents Seminar which
was held at our Jernigan Institute.  At the conclusion of this meeting, I
traveled on late Sunday afternoon, February 9, to Washington D.C. to join
the South Carolina delegation to participate in the 2020 Washington Seminar.
The Washington Seminar officially began Monday, February 10, at 5:00 p.m.
with the "Great Gathering In" meeting.  President Riccobono conducted the
meeting and there were other Federation officials present informing
participants on various NFB activities which will be occurring during 2020.
Tuesday February 11, was a very busy day for the South Carolina delegation
as we met with our congressional delegation at various times throughout the
day.  Tuesday evening, our delegation attended a Congressional reception
which was held on Capitol Hill.  I am extremely proud to have thirteen
members of our affiliate attend this year's Washington Seminar.  Other
members of the delegation joining Shelley and I this year, were Ellen
Taylor, Second vice president, Debra Canty, Dianne Singleton, NFB of SC
State board member, Linda Dizzley, Director of our Successful Transitions
program, Jennifer Bazer, and Charles Robinson. We were also very proud to
have four members (Derique Simon, Allontate Ellerbe, Olivia Taylor, Matthew
Duffell Hoffman and Wallace Stuckey) of our SC Association of Blind Students
as part of this year's delegation.  The work done by our delegation on
Capitol Hill this week only lays the ground work for passage of the three
legislative initiatives which are outlined below.  All of us need to
continue to contact our Congressman and Senators throughout the year to
ensure passage of these three legislative initiatives.

              The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 2086 S.
815)

              The cost of critically needed access technology is out of
reach for most blind Americans.  By providing a refundable tax credit for
qualifying purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of this
technology and promote affordability of these tools.

              The Greater Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual
Access Technology (GAIN) Act (H.R. 3929)

              Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind
individuals from independently operating essential devices that enhance
quality of life.  Congress must end the digital divide that threatens the
independence of blind Americans by developing minimum accessibility
requirements for such devices.

              The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education
(AIM HIGH) Act H. R. 5312 S. 3095)

              Until a market-driven solution for accessible instructional
materials is achieved, blind college students are denied access to critical
course content.  The AIM HIGH Act will remove these barriers to equality in
the classroom by creating a set of guidelines that clearly define accessible
instructional materials.

              Congratulations to Laurens Sanders, a longtime friend and
member of the NFB of SC, Lynn Hornsby of our Rock Hill Chapter and Billy
Singleton, RBRCCB Advisory Board member for becoming members of the $100/100
club, as all three of these individuals contributed $100 each to the Rocky
Bottom refrigerator/freezer fund.  Thus far, we have raised $3,170 in
contributions and pledges.  Our goal is to raise $10,000, so let's keep the
momentum going!

              Finally, happy Valentine's Day! Speaking of Valentine's Day,
Shelley and I look forward to seeing many of you at the fifth annual
Sweetheart Dance on February 15.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Leadership means
being a First Responder:  Run toward life's challenges, don't shy away from
them!