[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1769

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 8 13:22:10 UTC 2020

July 8, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I am very pleased to report 151 individuals have already
registered for the upcoming NFB of SC state convention.  Keep up the great
work as the dead line to register for our state convention is July 31.  I
believe if we work extremely hard, we have a wonderful opportunity to
register 300 people making this convention one of the largest gatherings we
have had in many years.  Remember, there is no cost for registration.  To
register online for the 2020 NFB of SC state convention, go to our website
nfbofsc.org.  If you need assistance with the online registration, call
Steve and Shannon Cook (803) 254-0222 or David Houck at the Federation
Center (803) 254-3777.  If you do not register you will not be eligible for
door prizes.  More importantly, to be eligible to participate in the
election of state officers and five board members, you must be registered
for the convention and a dues paying member of the NFB of SC.  I am
currently working on the agenda for this year's convention.  If you have any
thoughts regarding program items you would like to see on the agenda, please
contact me at (803) 796-8662 or you can email me at Frankcoppel at att.net.

              This time next week, many of us will be participating in the
first ever virtual national convention of the National Federation of the
Blind which will be held July 14-18.  Last evening, Shelley and I
participated in the "Rookie Roundup."  Pam Allen, First Vice President of
the NFB, presided over the meeting and did an excellent job.  Greetings were
given from the Riccobono's, Maurer's and two members who reminisced about
attending their first convention.   We practiced voting during the Roundup
and it was extremely easy.  President Riccobono announced that over 7,200
people have registered for the national convention this year, making this
the largest national gathering of blind people ever. It is gratifying to
know that many of you across the state are registered for the convention, as
we will have 231 people registered from South Carolina.  Although
participating in a virtual national convention will be a new experience for
all of us, I cannot stress enough the importance for all of us to
participate fully in the convention, especially attending the National Board
of Directors meeting, the Opening Ceremonies, the affiliate caucus, general
sessions and the banquet which are extremely important in our Federation
growth and service.  Also, if you wish to vote during the upcoming national
convention, you must go to nfbvote.org to enroll to vote.  The dead line to
enroll to vote is Sunday, July 12, at 12:00 p.m.  Although registration for
the 2020 National Federation of the Blind National Convention closed on June
15, those of you who did not register are still welcome and encouraged to
participate in all convention events as listed in the agenda.  You can still
be a part of the convention at nfb.org/convention to see the agenda.  Also
the convention agenda is on the list serve in a Word format.

              Find the latest information on national convention at
nfb.org/convention.

Schedule for the 2020 NFB national convention:

Tuesday, July 14, Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 15, National Board of Directors meeting, Resolutions
committee meeting

2:00 p.m., NFB Board of Directors meeting 5:00 p.m., Resolutions Committee

Thursday, July 16, Division meetings, Opening Ceremonies

1:00-5:00 p.m., Division meetings

6:30-9:30 p.m., Opening Ceremonies

Friday, July 17, General Session, Presidential Report, state affiliate
caucuses

11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., NFB of Affiliate Caucus

1:30-5:00 p.m., General Session, Presidential Report

6:30-9:30 p.m., General Session

Saturday July 18, Business Session, Resolutions, Banquet

1:00-4:00 p.m., General Session (financial report, elections, resolutions)

4:30-6:30 p.m., General Session

7:30-9:30 p.m., Banquet

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  As your dreams become
reality, set aside something for those "just in case" unexpected situations.
If you do, you might well make it when others fail.