[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1751

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 13:31:41 UTC 2020

March 4, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              It has been brought to my attention by the state office, there
continues to be a handful of chapters and divisions who have not submitted
their state dues or member contact information for 2020.  For an individual
to be considered as a " member in good standing", the NFB of SC constitution
clearly states that state dues in the amount of $10 must be paid at the
beginning of each ear.  Let's do all we can to complete this process as soon
as possible as state dues definitely helps our state treasury and updated
contact information can assist the state office by keeping everyone informed
of announcements and activities of the NFB of SC.

              We have an announcement from the President's notebook.  "The
Braille Monitor is our flagship publication and contains critical content as
we continue to build the Federation. It reflects many of our traditions, but
it also must evolve enough to clearly be relevant in this decade and those
to come. Please help us by telling us what you want, what you need, and what
you will read. Please complete the quick, five-minute Braille Monitor
survey. Your participation is greatly appreciated."  You can fill out the
survey online or you can call (667-888-2454and have the survey read to you.

              The 2020 convention of the National Federation of the Blind
will take place in Houston, Texas, July 14 to July 19, at the Hilton
Americas-Houston hotel, 1600 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77010. Make your room
reservation as soon as possible with the Hilton Americas-Houston. Call
1-800-236-2905 to reserve your room in the main hotel. If you wish to stay
in our overflow hotel, the Marriott Marquis Houston, the number to call is
1-877-688-4323.

              The 2020 room rate at our main hotel is $105 per night and
applies to singles and doubles as well as triples and quads. Hotel and sales
taxes in Houston are 13.38 percent and 8.25 percent, respectively. The rate
for the overflow Marriott Marquis is slightly higher at $119. As with our
main hotel, hotel and sales taxes are additional, and the nightly rate
covers up to four in a room. Both hotels will take a deposit of the first
night's room rate for each room and will require a credit card or a personal
check.  If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your
card immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Friday, June 1, 2020,
half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.
Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.  Reservations
may be made before June 1, 2020, assuming that rooms are still available.
After that time the hotels will not hold our room block for the convention.
In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

              Both hotels offer complimentary in-room wireless internet
(though the Marriott requires a free-to-establish Marriott Bonvoy account)
and fitness center access for all guests. All rooms are furnished with mini
refrigerators along with many of the usual amenities such as in-room safes,
irons and ironing boards, and hair dryers. After the day's events, you can
get your swim on at either hotel. The Hilton has an indoor pool on the 23rd
floor, while the Marriott features an outdoor pool adjacent to its
Texas-shaped lazy river pool. Both hotels have several on premise dining
outlets with a broad range of additional options within a short walk from
the front door.

The schedule for the 2020 convention is:

Tuesday, July 14 Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 15, Registration, exhibits and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 16Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 17Opening General Session

Saturday, July 18Business Session

Sunday, July 19Banquet Day and Adjournment

              March 1 is the opening for the 2020 National Convention online
registration (The link, , will be nfb.org/registration.) As usual, online
preregistration for the national convention will end on May 31.  The cost
for registration is $25 and the cost for a banquet ticket is $70 prior to
May 31.  After May 31, registration will cost $30 and a banquet ticket will
cost $75.

              Congratulations to Paula Payne, a long time federation member,
as she and her family contributed $100 to the Rocky Bottom
refrigerator/freezer fund.  This brings our total in cash and pledges to
$3,770. Thanks, and let's keep it going!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  The Scriptures say that
faith is like a mustard seed; it is one of the smallest but grows into a
large plant that the birds can nest in.  Say to yourself, "I've got a
mustard seed and I'm not afraid to use it!"