[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1753

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 18 12:39:07 UTC 2020

March 18, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Since many of our members do not have access to the NFB of SC
list serve, I am reprinting a letter we received on Friday, March 13,
regarding a policy directive from the NFB National Board of Directors and
our national president related to the Covid 19 virus and the immediate
postponement of public meetings or events of the organization.

"Dear Colleagues,

              Please give immediate attention to the below policy directive
from the Board of Directors of the National Federation of the Blind related
to the immediate postponement of public meetings of the organization. In
addition to this statement, you can hear an emergency Presidential Release
related to this matter at
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-covid-19-p
olicy-relating-public-events.

              National Federation of the Blind COVID-19 Policy Relating to
Public Events

              The National Federation of the Blind is closely following the
rapidly evolving situation with respect to the novel coronavirus and its
associated illness known as COVID-19. Since we issued our initial guidance
on this situation on March 11, public officials across the nation have
escalated their response to the virus and issued new and more aggressive
directives. Generally, while specific directives as to the size of permitted
public gatherings vary across states and local jurisdictions, public health
officials agree that it is advisable to engage in "social distancing" in
order to prevent or mitigate the spread of the virus, and people are being
directed to minimize proximity and/or physical contact with others outside
the home as much as possible. As a result, the National Federation of the
Blind Board of Directors met on March 13 and developed this policy directive
related to public meetings of the organization.

The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest nationwide
organization of blind people, with affiliates in all fifty states, the
District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico; hundreds of local chapters; as well
as statewide and national special-interest divisions. Together these are
comprised of some fifty thousand members and countless volunteers and
supporters who conduct various public meetings and events. The health and
safety of our members and friends is our top priority, and we are also
mindful of our obligation to follow public health directives and to engage
responsibly with the general public. We also recognize the need for
consistent guidance across our organization as our affiliates, chapters, and
divisions consider or plan meetings and public events.

              To that end, the President and Board of Directors of the
National Federation of the Blind hereby direct that all meetings, events, or
public gatherings that are currently planned by affiliates, chapters, and
divisions to take place within thirty days from today, March 13, 2020, are
to be canceled or postponed until sometime after April 12, 2020. This
includes, but is not limited to, statewide conventions or meetings, local
chapter meetings, and statewide or local division meetings. Of course, where
practicable, meetings to conduct the ongoing business of the Federation may
be held via phone call or videoconference. Furthermore, the outreach and
advocacy priorities of the organized blind movement can and should continue
despite the disruption to public meetings, including monitoring unique
barriers that blind individuals encounter due to the extreme circumstances.
However, no official business of the organization should be conducted via
in-person gatherings during this period. The national leadership will
re-evaluate the situation on or shortly after April 12, 2020, and issue
additional guidance if needed.

              We are issuing this directive to align with the best available
public health advice as well as with multiple state and local directives,
and to carry out our general obligation to protect the health and safety of
everyone in our Federation family. We wish everyone the best as together we
meet the challenges and make the sacrifices required by this public health
emergency.

              Mark A. Riccobono, President"

              The NFB of SC will be following all of the guidance from our
national office to limit exposure to the virus. The Federation will sponsor
no official seminars, chapter meetings, or division meetings for at least
the next 30 days. However, I am strongly encouraging chapters to hold
chapter meetings via conference call, Zoom, or other appropriate platforms.
If you need assistance to utilize the Zoom platform for your chapter
meetings during this thirty day period, feel free to contact Thom Spittle at
(803) 331-3344 or you can email Thom at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com.  As of right
now, Senior Camp scheduled for May 17-21, the state wide picnic scheduled
for May 30, the NFB national convention scheduled for July 14-19 and the NFB
of SC state convention in North Charleston scheduled for August 21-23 are
being held as planned.  We will notify you immediately if these events are
to be postponed or cancelled.

              During these challenging and uncertain times, it is imperative
we as a federation family continue to work closely together to assist any
member who is facing a particular hardship as a result of this difficult
time we are currently experiencing.  If you have questions or concerns
regarding this current situation, please do not hesitate to call our state
office at (803) 254-3777 or you can call me at (803) 796-8662 and we will be
glad to assist in any way possible.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  "If you can dream it, you
can do it.  Your limits are all within yourself." - Brian Tracy