[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1754

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 25 12:40:58 UTC 2020

March 25, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              During this time of uncertainty, it is great to be able to
share a bit of good news with my federation family.  As of a couple of weeks
ago, we were able to purchase a brand new commercial grade refrigerator and
freezer for the kitchen in the Conference Center at Rocky Bottom.  We were
also able to replace the thermostat in the existing commercial dishwasher.
We have been told the dishwasher is working fine and should last for another
ten years.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank our federation
members, chapters, friends, the Bignon Foundation as well as the Salem Lions
Club for their generous financial support for this much needed project.
Although we have made significant progress in this area, we still need to
consider upgrading the commercial stove and ovens.  Therefore, if you or
your chapter would like to contribute $100 and become a member of the
$100/100 club we would be very appreciative.

              We have an announcement from Jennifer Bazer.  "Hello
Federation Family!  I hope all of you are safe.  As more restrictions are
put on our state and our nation, I want to reach out and see how we can help
each other as a Palmetto State family?  I know that it is harder to get to
stores and to have delivery services.  Please, please, please reach out if
you need help. If you need groceries, safety and survival items, we will
work to get you what you need through networking, we will find a way.  I do
not want us to lose our connection to each other. I want to keep our hope
alive and prayer going.  As an effort to keep our state connected and share
resources, please join us on Tuesday and  Thursday afternoons at 5:00 p.m.
for an informal hour of chatting, sharing resources, strategizing, and
building HOPE, Hold On Possibilities Exist.

              Please share with others who may enjoy connecting with us.  To
connect with us follow one of the below ways:

             If you have the phone app, click on the below link:  Join Zoom
Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/8032543777 Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

              If you have a smart phone, just click below and it will dial
in for you:

+19292056099,,8032543777#

             Or, you can dial in from your land phone at any of the below
numbers:

US (New York) 16699006833,,8032543777# US (San

+Jose)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

              Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeFWRgWyAj"

              I believe staying connected with each other during these times
is extremely important.  Kudos to Jennifer for starting this initiative and
it is my hope many of us will participate in these informal discussions.

              We also have an announcement from David Houck.  "While we all
are following "social distancing" during the Covid-19 virus situation, the
Federation Center office is open and continues to be staffed by the
Executive Director David Houck to make certain information gets out
statewide about the virus situation, meeting postponements or cancellations
and to service the needs of the state's blind at this time.  Our four blind
computer instructors continue to teach virtually over the internet and Barry
Chavis continues Federation Center renovation and maintenance work,
especially some plumbing and refrigeration work from last week at the
Center.  Also, I understand that although schools are currently closed,
Successful Transitions has found ways to continue its operations in a safe
environment.  Of course, Linda Bible is doing a good job at Rocky Bottom and
all our Federation officers and board members stand ready to be of
assistance."

              Finally, I cannot emphasize strongly enough the importance of
staying connected with each other during these difficult times.  I strongly
encourage chapter presidents to check on your members and if there is a
need, do not hesitate to call the Federation Center at (803) 254-377 or you
can call me at (803) 796-8662.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  Even during the existing
virus situation, find a way to contact someone who cannot get out or receive
visitors to talk with them or offer to help to do their shopping for them.
Find a way to help those most vulnerable.