[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1760

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 6 12:43:52 UTC 2020

May 6, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I want to take this opportunity to thank those of you who
participated in the Midlands Gives fund raising event which was held
yesterday, May 5, in Columbia.  As all of you know by now, we received an
email from Midlands Gives on Friday afternoon stating an anonymous donor was
contributing a matching grant up to $3,000 to the NFB of SC.  Because of
this generous contribution, we switched gears from Rocky Bottom and we put
all of our efforts into raising contributions for the NFB of SC this past
Tuesday, May 5. With the money we raised during Midlands Gives, the NFB of
SC will make a donation to Rocky Bottom.

              I am very pleased to announce this year's fund raising event
was very successful  as we were able to raise $4,164 with eighty donors
contributing.  I am also very pleased to report we were able to receive the
$3,000 matching donation from an anonymous donor making the NFB of SC's
final total $7,164.  Rocky Bottom received $749 in donations with eighteen
donors contributing.  Although we did not win the $2,000 prize for having
the most unique contributions during the 12:00 to 1:00 "power hour", I am
very proud to say we were able to collect sixty-two unique contributions
during the "power hour".  Last year, we collected a total of fifty-seven
unique contributions of which thirty-nine were collected during the 12:00 to
1:00 "power hour".  A very special thanks goes to Valerie and Larry
Warrington for all of their hard work during the past few months with this
project which made it possible for the NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom to again
participate in this program.  Finally, I would like to thank all of you who
contributed or who assisted others to make their contributions during this
event.  I am very proud of our Federation family as members from throughout
the state made significant contributions during the entire day.  It has been
said on many occasions, awesome things can happen when individuals pull
together and work as a team.  This cannot be more clearly demonstrated than
what occurred on Tuesday, May 5, during our Midlands Gives fund raising
campaign.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel and Shannon Cook,
Co-directors of Senior Camp.  "Virtual Senior Camp Day!

              Though life has changed our plans for senior camp this year,
that does not mean that we all cannot make something positive out of this
new challenge. Your Senior Camp Directors Shelley and Shannon would like to
invite all former attendees of senior camp to join us for a fun-filled day
of Virtual Senior Camp!

When:  May 30th

Time:                     10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

How:                     Zoom (see below for how to sign on)

              We will have Bingo, a bagged lunch of your choice, (It will be
at your house after all), a

discussion group, and more.

              To sign up, please contact one of us by May 23rd.

Shannon Cook - (803) 254-0222 or by email at cookcafe at sc.rr.com, or

Shelley Coppel -  (803) 796-8662 or by email at
frankandshelley51 at gmail.com."

              Instructions for Virtual Senior Camp Day Zoom meeting

If you have questions on how to sign in, please give Shannon a call prior to
the day of the event.

              If you have the smart phone app, click on the below link:
Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/8032543777 Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

               If you have a smart phone, just click below and it will dial
in for you:

+19292056099,,8032543777#

              Or, you can dial in from your land phone:

929 205 6099

Meeting Id no. 803 254 3777

              Please do not forget to register for the 2020 NFB national
convention which will be held everywhere July 14-18.  The deadline to
register is June 15, 2020.  Registration for this year's national convention
is free. If you do not register, you will not be eligible to receive a door
prize during the general sessions of the convention.  To register or to
learn more details regarding the convention, go to nfb.org/convention.  If
you need assistance to fill out the online registration form, feel free to
contact David Houck at the Federation Center at (803) 254-3777.

              Finally, May 6, is the fifty-fourth anniversary of the South
Carolina Commission for the Blind.  As many of you probably know, the NFB of
SC (formerly known as the Aurora Club of the Blind) was extremely
instrumental in the mid 1960's in the passage of legislation which resulted
in the creation of a separate agency for the blind.  Prior to 1966, services
for the blind were housed In the Department of Public Welfare.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  It is true that many who
have high goals will accomplish them, and then some; while at the beginning
they had no idea what their potential really was.