[NFBofSC] Positive note

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Fri May 15 01:19:47 UTC 2020

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Jennifer Bazer via
NFBofSC
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:11 PM
To: 'NFB of South Carolina Mailing List' <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Jennifer Bazer <jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [NFBofSC] Positive note

Here it is!!!

May 13, 2020
From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I am pleased to announce Matthew Duffell Hoffman has been
selected as a NFB national scholarship finalist for 2020.  Matthew is one of
thirty students who will be recognized for their outstanding academic
accomplishments at our 2020 NFB national convention this summer.  This will
be the second consecutive year a student from South Carolina has been
selected as a scholarship finalist as Derique Simon received this
recognition in 2019.  Matthew is very active in the SC Association of Blind
Students and the Lancaster chapter of the NFB of SC.  He is attending the
University of South Carolina Honors College where he is majoring in
electrical engineering.
              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook, chairperson of the
NFB of SC Scholarship committee.  “Scholarship Announcement 2020:  It is now
Scholarship Season in the NFB of SC!  With the state convention being August
21-23, the deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. on June 19,
2020.  The committee will select the top three applicants, and they will be
notified approximately one month prior to the state convention. The updated
scholarship application is now available at www.nfbofsc.org.  Please also
remember that the scholarship program operates on donations exclusively.  If
you or your chapter would like to contribute a scholarship or make a
donation to the Metro Fund, please get in touch with both me, Shannon Cook,
and Valerie Warrington, NFB of SC Treasurer.  Also, please help us get the
word out about the program.  If you or someone you know is in school full
time, please encourage them to apply for a scholarship!  Thank you.”
              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
Seniors Division.  “Join us on our fourth Senior Division’s nationwide
conference call of 2020!
Topic: National Federation of the Blind Crafters’ Division
              This Division was established in 2008 by Joyce Kane and a
group of blind/visually impaired crafters.  Over the years the Division’s
goal is to share the love of crafts with other blind/visually impaired
people interested in learning anew craft or learning how to continue those
crafts enjoyed before vision loss.  The teachers are blind/visually impaired
and have learned or developed techniques that allow us to continue enjoying
crafts.
              Here are a few of the classes that have been taught: crochet,
knitting, loom knitting, origami, plastic canvas, macramé bracelets,
cleaning with essential oils, etc.”