[NFBofSC] FW: [NFBNJ] National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey 44th State Convention: Agenda for Day 2--All are welcome!

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu Nov 19 03:50:39 UTC 2020

From: NFBNJ <nfbnj-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Ellen Sullivan via NFBNJ
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 8:41 PM
To: nfbnj at nfbnet.org
Subject: [NFBNJ] National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey 44th State
Convention: Agenda for Day 2--All are welcome!

>From the desk of Linda Melendez, First Vice President  and Chair of
Convention Activities, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Submitted by Ellen Sullivan, Affiliate Secretary

Greetings all,

            I hope you enjoyed our first day of the 44th State Convention of
the NFBNJ.  On Thursday, November 19, 2020 we will meet our Vendors and
boost our tech skills with our wonderful afternoon of Technology topics. And
stay around, there are several interesting sessions in the evening. Time,
Zoom, and conference call details are included below. We begin promptly at
10:00 a.m.

Thank you for joining us and for your support. All are welcome!

Warmly,

Linda Melendez

First Vice President,
Chair, Convention Activities

The 44th Annual State Convention

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT-
We Care. We Share. We Grow. We make a difference!

Anywhere and Everywhere

Wednesday, November 18 through Saturday November 21, 2020

Joseph Ruffalo, President

973 743 0075

 <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Linda Melendez, Chair of State Convention Activities
732 421 7063
 <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com> lindamelendez220 at gmail.com

 <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org

 <http://www.blindchildren.org> www.blindchildren.org

Who We Are & What We Do

The National Federation of the Blind, the oldest and largest organization of
and for the blind in the US, is made up of blind/visually impaired people of
all ages, and their families and friends. We help newly blind people adjust
to vision loss, assist parents and teachers of blind children, and promote
the full participation and integration of blind people in our communities.
Our activities include:

. Assisting blind persons in acquiring the skills of independence and
developing confidence in themselves
. Supporting parents and teachers of blind children with information,
mentoring, role modeling, information, and training
. Preparing blind students for careers and self-sufficiency through
mentoring, training, and academic scholarships
. Encouraging blind seniors to continue to live active and meaningful lives
. Advocating for policies that eliminate discrimination, promote civil
rights, and guarantee equal access to high quality educational and
rehabilitation programs

. Sponsoring information campaigns and legislative action at the state and
national levels
. Educating the public through community activities and publications

Spotlight on NFB of New Jersey

Since 1976, the National Federation of the Blind of NJ, an affiliate of the
National Federation of the Blind, has been providing invaluable information
and resources to blind/visually impaired people throughout the state. Our
members work together for a brighter tomorrow by raising expectations for
blind people everywhere so that blind persons can live the life they want.
Our seven chapters meet monthly; our five divisions hold events at various
times throughout the year. For more information on the affiliate, chapters,
divisions, committees, programs, and projects, visit  <http://www.nfbnj.org>
www.nfbnj.org. Please join us- we would welcome your participation.

Live the Life You Want

blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love, hope, and
determination, we transform dreams into reality.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Integrity and Respect
To allow all attendees the chance to benefit from all aspects of the
convention, we are committed to providing a harassment-free environment for
everyone. We appreciate your assistance in cultivating an atmosphere in
which participants from diverse backgrounds may learn, network, and share
with each other in an environment of mutual respect. Thank you for doing
your part to contribute to our community and the high expectations we strive
to maintain.

Please visit the following link for the code of conduct
www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct
<http://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct>

All state convention activities will be held at Eastern Standard Time via
the Zoom platform unless otherwise indicated. And we will be recording the
convention.

****
Thursday, November 19, 2020
Convention Zoom participation details

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=Qkw0RGxYdGc5TjVBdVZmUnFYYnlCQT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460 994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460 994

Instructions for listening on an Echo device
Wake word Alexa: call 646 876 9923
Just like calling on the phone, you will hear "welcome to Zoom."
Meeting ID when prompted, then say wake word Alexa: Press 647 766 0103 pound
sign
Then say Alexa Press pound to enter the meeting

Door Prize Details

Door prize raffles will be drawn and announced throughout the convention.
Winners must be present to win. If you hear your name you can claim your
prize one of three ways; by emailing  <mailto:nfb.newjersey at gmail.com>
nfb.newjersey at gmail.com calling or texting Linda Melendez at 732-421-7063.
Winners must give their convention registration name, best contact number
and prize code word or phrase. Code must be in the email subject line.

Thursday November 19, 20202
10:00 A.M.to Noon-Meet the Vendors
Joseph Ruffalo, President NFBNJ Facilitator
Here is an opportunity to learn about the products, services and obtain
valuable information to assist with raising expectations to live the life
you want.
10:05 am SW Unlimited, Sherlock Washington, President
10:30 am C-Tech, Chuck Cohen, President
10:55 am Independence Science, Jasodhara Bhattacharya, Director of Strategic
Global Projects
11:20 am OrCam, Eve Posner, New Jersey OrCam Rep

1:00 P.M-Technology Changes to Change Our Lives
Jane Degenshein, President New Jersey Association of Blind Technology Users

1:10 to 1:30 P.M.-Take a Virtual Tour with Us
Mac Biggers, Member Technology Division
Learn and discover through the Bloomberg Connects App

1:30 to 1:55 P.M.-iOS 14 New and Exciting Changes
Tony Santiago, Vice President Technology Division
Join us as we learn some features of iOS14.

1:55 to 2:15 P.M.--Listserv and Resources for Any Tekkie
Andy Smith, Board Member Technology Division
Learn about important websites, listservs, podcasts and more.

2:15 to 2:50 P.M.-Fusion and We're Not Talking Physics
Rick Fox, Assistive Technology Instructor and owner B & F Teaching &
Technology.
Valuable tips and tricks on using Fusion.

2:50 to 3:10 P.M.- Louie the Hands Free App for Androids
Aneesh Karuppur, Student and friend to the Technology Division
Calling for a ride, using What's App all voice activated.

3:10 to 3:45 P.M.-Exploring the Possibilities with an IPad
Matt Vollbrecht, Certified Apple Instructor, Owner of the Tech Juggernaut

Tips and tricks and treats to make you more productive.

3:45 to 4:15 P.M.-Q and A for all

6:10 P.M.-Kustom Cane
James Boehm, Vice President of the Tennessee affiliate and President of the
Nashville chapter
James thanks the New Jersey affiliate and updates our Federation family on
how your past donations and canes are making a difference worldwide. Boehm
will share how you can continue to contribute during these unusual times. As
a thank you, Kustom Cane is donating 2 gift certificates: a $150 gift
certificate to Kustom Cane and a second three piece charm gift certificate
valued at $35! In addition, Boehm, a licensed counselor in Tennessee, will
discuss the impact, struggles, and importance of mental health, especially
during these challenging times. Boehm will finish with a brief mindfulness
activity that you will be able to incorporate in your daily life to cope
with anxiety and stress.

7:00 P.M.-Resolutions Committee Meeting
Ryan Stevens, Chair
Open to all; take part in witnessing the development of resolutions, which
become the policy statements of NFBNJ.

8:00 P.M.-Adulting 201
Lia Stone and Carley Mullin, Facilitator's
Curious about best methods for finding an apartment? How about buying a
home? Maybe you're wondering how to traverse the social landscape of your
new job? Or are you just interested in learning about these things from the
greatest generations, millennials and genXers? If you answered yes to any of
these you won't want to miss this session. We will feature two panels of
dynamic young leaders who will share their experiences of the good, the bad
and the ugly in workplace social interactions and navigating the
rental/housing market.

Special Announcements

Meet our National Rep Julie Deden
I am honored to be the national representative at our New Jersey convention
and I am looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible in our new
virtual space. I have always been blind but truly did not feel good about
being a blind person until I became involved in the National Federation of
the blind at age 18. Even when I joined the NFB it took a few years for me
to feel proud of being a blind person. The National Federation of the Blind
has given me the opportunity to participate in so many activities where I
have met positive blind role models who have taken their time to mentor me.

I have lived in Colorado for most of my life. Diane and Ray McGeorge are two
of the first people I met through the NFB. They spent so much time with me
teaching me about life and the NFB. Today, Diane serves as the chair of the
Colorado Center Board of Directors and is still teaching me. She is not only
a mentor but is like my mom as I feel that I grew up with her influence.

I have a master's degree in counseling psychology from Lesley University and
always knew from a young age that I wanted to work with people. I enjoyed
working as a rehabilitation counselor for 14 years, because I had an
opportunity to provide support and mentor my clients. In 1997 I left the
Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to work at the Colorado
Center for the Blind. Once again, Diane mentored me to prepare me to become
the director of the center in March of 1999.

I have held countless offices in the NFB. I currently serve as Second Vice
President of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado. I am humbled
to be the Vice President of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults.

I am married to Dan Burke and have a grown-up son named Robert. Every day is
a gift and I wonder what I may learn from the day! I treasure my involvement
in the NFB and know that we can do anything, with love hope and
determination.

National Scholarship Program-Call for Applications Started November 1

Every year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000
to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional
aspirations. The scholarship program is our commitment to academic
excellence and leadership among blind students, and each winner is awarded
on the basis of academic excellence, community service, and leadership. The
application process opened November 1. Review the scholarship application
checklist and the scholarship program FAQs. Share this opportunity that
invests in the future of blind people. To learn about the eligibility and
requirements of the 2021 scholarship program visit

<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram>
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-pr
ogram

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

Join the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults and the National
Federation of the Blind in this upcoming contest to promote Braille. K-12
students and adults learning Braille across the U.S. compete to read the
most Braille pages, going against other participants in similar contest
categories for seven weeks. What books are on your reading list?

Encourage more Braille. Improve reading skills. Win prizes.
Registration is opened on November 1. Learn more about the
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=18832&qid=4372187>
Braille Readers Are Leaders contest

NFB T-Shirts for Sale

Maybe some of your chapter members are new, maybe some members haven't yet
purchased one for their wardrobe, and maybe some members and non members are
looking for a spare.

They are heather red with white print. The top left on the front has our
logo and in 2 lines beneath, The National Federation of the Blind. The back
in 2 lines says, Live the Life You Want and are available in sizes small,
medium, large, and X Large;. Prices are $18. If interested contact Anne
Marie Harris at  <mailto:lovey1160 at gmail.com> lovey1160 at gmail.com or 856 589
8747.

PRE-AUTHORIZED CONTRIBUTION PROGRAM (PAC Plan)

We encourage all members and conventioneers to join the PAC Plan. This plan
raises funds for the National Federation of the Blind by automatically
debiting your checking account or charging your credit/debit card the
specified monthly amount you designate; as little as $5 a month. Individuals
already enrolled are encouraged to raise their monthly contributions.

To arrange for PAC Plan contributions go to  <http://nfb.org/pac>
nfb.org/pac and fill out the form. The National Center will call you to take
payment information. You can also call 877 635 2711 or email
<mailto:pac at nfb.org> pac at nfb.org to enroll.

The National Center will contact individuals for financial and banking
information following the convention. For additional assistance contact Mac
Biggers, NFBNJ PAC Plan Coordinator at 801 916 9753

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey thanks the following
sponsor and vendors for their continued support with raising expectations to
live the life we want.

Sponsor:

T-Mobile Accessibility
Hannah DeFelice
Blind/Low Vision Customer Relationship Manager
513-501-5459
 <mailto:Hannah.defelice at t-mobile.com> Hannah.defelice at t-mobile.com
https://www.sprintrelay.com/

3D PhotoWorks