[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1789

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon Nov 23 11:16:20 UTC 2020

November 23, 2020

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

I was in my bed Saturday evening around 9:15 drifting off to sleep when I
heard my son, Cade, who is ten ask me, "Mom, can I bake some cookies?"
"Sure," I said in a sleepy voice. After telling him the temperature to set
the oven and how long to put on the timer, I drifted  into a light sleep.
The next thing I knew was Cade handing me warm cookies on a paper towel. I
felt the heat of the cookies in my hand  and began to eat them one by one.
Three became four. Yes, I consumed four cookies in less than five minutes. I
couldn't leave any. He had taken the time to make some for himself and his
mom. I couldn't leave them sitting on the bed, I may roll over and smush
them leaving crumbs, and crumbs in the bed is a no, no in our house. I
couldn't leave them, they wouldn't be as good in the morning. I needed to
eat them to show appreciation to my son for his kind heart.

Why did I say yes, when normally, I would not allow sweets after 8:00? It
wasn't because I was sleepy and didn't remember what I was saying. It was
because sometimes, rules are meant to be broken, when breaking a rule would
not cause harm. It is because sometimes, you just need a warm cookie or
four, in your belly just before bed. It is because sometimes, it is a time
to bond with your ten year old son! It is because sometimes, one day, Cade
will not wake me up to bake cookies for me, because he will be on his own
and not under mom's roof! I am thankful for being Cade and Kaylin's mom, the
most important role I will ever have! It is moments like Saturday night that
I will cherish! What are you thankful for today? Happy Thanksgiving to all
of you!

What an awesome Thanksgiving celebration we had on Thursday, November 19! We
fed over a half dozen members at the Successful Transitions office and
delivered meals to just as many members at their homes! Thank you to all who
were involved in planning, preparing, serving, and delivering meals!

              Chapter and Division Presidents,

              If you have an electronic copy of your constitution, please
email it to me ASAP to jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>  as
President Riccobono is requesting all info from all affiliates.

If you do not have an electronic copy, but rather a print copy, I would need
that in our state office at the Center ASAP.

              If you do not have a chapter or division constitution
electronically or in print/Braille, please let me know ASAP so we can work
together to have this info to President Riccobono.

Thank you for all your help!

              Please mark your calendars for a Christmas celebration at the
Center on Saturday, December 12 from noon until four. We will enjoy
fellowship, sounds of the season, and a gift exchange. The gift exchange is
optional. Please call, text or email me if you plan to attend. If you need
transportation let's work together with chapter presidents and neighboring
chapters to insure all that want to come can attend. Call me with any
questions. We will have a Thans for Giving box on the front porch of the
center each weekday beginning November 30 for the neighboring community to
fill the box with items that members in need can use. We will give thanks
for these donations at our Christmas celebration on December 12.

              Our statewide seminar will be held January 9 at the Center in
Columbia from 10:00 until 4:00. This will be a hybrid seminar meaning you
can attend in-person and over Zoom so as many individuals can participate as
possible. Please make plans to attend in-person or through Zoom. Please
call, text or email me with suggested agenda items.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  Please contact the chapter president
and ask if it is alright to attend their meeting.  All Committee meetings
are open to the public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would
like to be added to any NFB of SC committee.

              Here's what is coming up on Zoom for the week of November 23
2020. All meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless
noted.

Monday, November 23, 2020         Doing Our Fair Share 7pm,

Tuesday, November 24, 2020        Diversity and Inclusion Committee 8 pm

Monday, November 30, Social Media Committee, 7:30 pm

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Florence Chapter Meeting Interest

There will be a Florence chapter interest meeting on Monday, December 7 at
5:00 p.m. at Golden Corral, 2510 David H. Mcleod BLVD, Florence.

I will be there to steer this meeting along with Jameika Cooper. If you know
others who would be interested, members who were in the Florence chapter
before, please pass along this info.

Please call or text me at 803-960-9977 if you have further questions.

>From Jamie Allison

The Cherokee County Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina cordially invites everyone to our 2020 Virtual Christmas
Celebration! The event will take place from 1:00-2:30pm on Thursday,
December 10th, 2020. There will be random gift card drawings, a social time,
and program that will include a Christmas Scripture recitation, holiday
songs, carols, and stories. The entire program will take place virtually
over the zoom platform and we invite everyone from across the affiliate and
nationally to attend. We also invite those who would so like to to share a
Christmas or holiday-themed song, story, carole, poem, or riddles with the
audience. We want this portion of the program to be similar to an old time
"variety show". If you would like to participate in this portion of our
program, please send an email to nfbsccherokee at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbsccherokee at gmail.com>  with your name, the type of item you wish
to contribute (song, carole, brief story or poem either familiar or new,
riddle, etc.) and approximately how long it will take. If time permits,
there will be an opportunity for audience members to spontaneously
contribute as well. If you do not have access to email, please call
864-838-0338 and either speak or leave a voice message with Jamie with the
same information. We look forward to a time of fellowship and celebration
with all who wish to join us as we observe this blessed season!

>From Frank Loza

Support the Federation Center by buying a jacket with our national logo on
the back of the jacket and under that it says National Federation of the
Blind and under that it says, live the life you want.

On the left upper part of the front it says, NFB of SC.

There is two kinds of material you can get them in.

One is microfiber and the other one is polyester blend.

The microfiber costs $80.00 and the polyester blend cost's $75.00.

The microfiber comes in blue or black and the polyester comes in blue, black
and gray.

If you can call Frank Loza at 803-617-8016, with your information, such as
color and size.

Join  your fellow Federationists and get your jacket.

It will show unity when your chapter has a function.

              From Derique Simon

              Do you find yourself wondering what to cook for dinner most
nights? Are you tired of making the same dishes over and over? Well stress
no longer because the South Carolina Association of Blind Students is here
to help if you need spicing up what you do in the kitchen. We are working on
our own one of a kind cook book and we need all of your help to make it a
hit. If you have any recipes that you would like to share with us please
send them to Trista Hubbs SCABS Secretary at hubbs.trista at gmail.com
<mailto:hubbs.trista at gmail.com>

              If you made a pledge at our state convention banquet in
August, those tax -deductible contributions are due at the Center no later
than December 31, 2020. If you did not make a pledge, but wish to donate to
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please send
donations to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also pay on
our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and look for the
donations link to pay through pay Pal. Thank you to all of those
individuals, chapters, and divisions who have fulfilled their pledges. I
will list all donors in the first Positive Note of 2021.

              Big News! The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has
an online enrollment membership form to pay your 2021 state dues. You will
be able to fill out the form online to provide the state office with updated
personal and contact information. You will also be able to pay your $10
state dues via secure Pay Pal. You will still need to pay your
chapter/division dues on the local level. After submitting the membership
form, you will be provided with a link to pay your $10 state dues through
Pay Pal. Your membership will not be confirmed until payment has been
received. After paying your $10 state dues via Pay Pal, we will receive a
message stating you have paid your state dues to confirm your membership.
Then you will be sent a message with a copy of your receipt for confirmation
later in the day. Please retain this confirmation for your records and proof
of payment.  Also, Pay Pal charges the NFB of SC a percentage for each
transaction. We would greatly appreciate you adding an extra $0.30 to your
donation to offset this charge.

              If you need assistance completing the online form, you are
welcome to call Steve and Shannon Cook to help at (803) 254-0222. Leave a
message with your name and contact number if we are unavailable to answer
the phone.

              Thank you to those who have already paid your state dues! We
hope to see close to 100% of dues paid by December 31. Our membership
committee along with the help of our district reps will follow-up as we get
closer to the end of the year to assist those in completing their membership
form so that we can have all completed documentation to the national office
in a timely manner. This has normally been due at the end of January to pay
your state dues; however, that does not give me time to submit all necessary
data to the national office by January 31. We  want to be prompt in our
membership dues and information to President Riccobono.

https://forms. gle/MGYktJPG3SatVBFWA

Final Thought: "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a
present and not giving it." William Arthur Ward

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com> .