[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 11/23/2020

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Nov 24 00:10:03 UTC 2020

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I think we have plenty to be thankful for this week. Our movement is strong, we have benefited from the generosity of our community, and we have been able to share information and put advocacy efforts in place that have kept thousands of blind people safer than they would have been otherwise. I am especially thankful for you and all you do. The Federation family is important, but we must recognize that what makes us strong are the family bonds we forge in our own homes. I hope each of you has an opportunity to hunker down with those who are in your tight family circle to enjoy some quiet or not-so-quiet, depending on your family, time together this week. I know I am looking forward to hanging around the house, cooking, playing cards, laughing with the family, and reflecting on what a weird but important year it has been. As much as I am anticipating the opportunity to possibly get out on the road to a Federation convention somewhere next year, I am also enjoying the great time at home sharing the experiences that make bonds stronger. Just in case it lasts longer, I just got in a small truckload of flour, so the baking can continue.

As we approach Thanksgiving 2020, I want to thank all of our affiliate presidents who have transitioned the leadership within their affiliate to a new group of leaders they have groomed. Most notable in these transitions is the one that happened in New Jersey this weekend where Joe Ruffalo did not stand for election after twenty-seven years in the chair. I spoke to Joe this morning and the determination to transition to a new leader and invest his time and energy into continuing the building through a new generation is the type of spirit and leadership I have long been thankful for in this movement. Congratulations to Joe and our other recent presidents who have committed to support new presidents. More importantly, thank you for upholding a standard of leadership development and movement advancement that has allowed us to build for the past eighty years. I am thankful that we have the opportunity to know and learn from each other in this movement every day. Thank you to those who carry the commitments and pass them onto others with love and care.

Critical Actions:

An Open Letter to Top Officials in Education:

The COVID-19 pandemic and the shift to virtual learning has highlighted several critical barriers that blind students face due to inaccessible technology. I sent an open letter that addresses these concerns and demands immediate action. It was sent during American Education Week 2020 to top education officials in all fifty states; the District of Columbia; and Puerto Rico. Please review and share  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rulings-filings-and-letters/november-2020-open-letter> the open letter. For blind students, parents, and teachers, please complete and  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey> submit the education technology survey to help continue tracking accessible and inaccessible technology being used in the education systems.

News:

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

For the first time in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcast history, NBCUniversal is providing the full NBC broadcast with live audio description on the Secondary Audio Program channel (SAP), provided by Descriptive Video Works. This year’s broadcast will be available with additional audio narration, describing the rich visuals of the parade including the magnificent balloons, floats, and performances, to complement the storytelling and celebration that make the parade an annual Thanksgiving Day tradition for millions of Americans. The parade is Thursday, November 26, from 9:00 a.m. to noon eastern.

AIM HIGH House and Senate Cosponsors

The AIM HIGH Act got new cosponsors in both the House and Senate last week. In the House, Representative Guy Reschenthaler (PA-14) signed on as a cosponsor, and in the other chamber Senator Chris Van Hollen (MD) signed on. Well done Pennsylvania and Maryland. Keep up the good work.

Braille UNO Cards

Braille UNO cards, with the National Federation of the Blind logo featured on the box, are available via the Independence Market for $10.00. These cards were designed in partnership with the National Federation of the Blind and feature Braille on the corner of each playing card to indicate the card’s color and number or action. UNO Braille packaging features Braille on the front and back for clear identification and directs players to UNOBraille.com where they can find playing instructions featuring .BRF files for download. Players can also access voice-enabled instructions through Amazon Alexa and Google Home.

Independence Market Gift Certificates

With the holiday season approaching, I’m sure you might like to purchase that special gift from the Independence Market for a family member, friend, neighbor, or loved one. If you’re undecided as to what to buy them, why not consider one of our Independence Market gift certificates? Gift certificates are available for purchase in $25, $50, $75, and $100 increments. They’re valid for one year after purchase and can be redeemed over the phone. PDF gift certificates are available via email or in Braille via USPS. To learn more about gift certificates, please email the Independence Market at  <mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org> independencemarket at nfb.org, or call us at 410-659-9314, extension 2216.

Facebook Is Doubling Gifts Made on GivingTuesday:

Want a way to triple your gifts? Give to NFB on GivingTuesday, December 1, by hitting the donate button on our Facebook page or posts. Facebook and Vispero will both be matching those gifts, as long as matching funds are available. Please feel free to reach out to Patti Chang, our director of outreach, at 410-659-9314, extension 2422, or  <mailto:pchang at nfb.org> pchang at nfb.org with any questions.

Next Tuesday: Attend the Presidential Release #500:

The December Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind will be delivered on Tuesday, December 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. Attend this celebration and milestone of the five hundredth episode! After the remarks, there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR500 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be available. This milestone release will include participation from Marc Maurer and Mary Ellen Jernigan.

New Blog Post: “Reflections of Gratitude” (en Espanol y English)

Last week, I wrote to Federation leaders a reflection for our anniversary, which was November 16. It is now posted on the Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog to all of our friends and supporters as a way to say thank you and happy Thanksgiving. We are grateful for your support, which has made a difference more than ever in 2020. Below are links to the English and Spanish posts.

*	English version: “ <https://www.nfb.org/blog/reflections-gratitude-eighty-years-movement> Reflections of Gratitude for Eighty Years of the Movement”
*	Spanish version: “ <https://www.nfb.org/blog/reflexiones-de-gratitud-por-los-ochenta-anos-del-movimiento> Reflexiones de Gratitud por los Ochenta Años del Movimiento”

Open House Gathering: Share with Prospective Members:

Sunday, December 13, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. ET – The National Federation of the Blind is hosting an open house gathering for people who are not yet members of the Federation to learn about becoming members. Share with prospective members this opportunity to learn more from leaders about the Federation and why membership is crucial. Sign up by emailing  <mailto:membership at nfb.org> membership at nfb.org or calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509.

Dare to Be Remarkable: Conference for Blindness Professionals:

Tuesday, December 15 through Thursday, December 17, 2020 – Dare to Be Remarkable is a three-day, virtual national training conference for education and rehabilitation professionals who work with blind and low-vision transition-aged students or adults. The agenda includes breakout sessions on various topics and professions including administrators, O&M instructors, access technology instructors, and more. Review the agenda and register now for the  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/education/dare-be-remarkable> Dare to Be Remarkable conference.

Teachers of Tomorrow Program:

If you are preparing for a career in teaching blind students, or if you are an early career educator looking to enhance your teaching, then the National Federation of the Blind invites you to apply for a spot in the first cohort of our Teachers of Tomorrow program. This immersive, professional development program connects teachers of blind and low-vision students to the lived experiences of blind people, equipping participants with knowledge about the skills and attitudes that can help blind students thrive in school and beyond. The program is free to participants thanks to a partnership between the National Federation of the Blind and the Gustavus and Louise Pfeiffer Research Foundation. For more information or to apply visit  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow> https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow.

Affiliate Thank You to NFB of Michigan

Thanks go out to the NFB of Michigan for contributing recently. We can only build the Federation if we do it together. Financial support is appreciated.

Reminder:

It’s that Time of Year—Santa Letters:

Every year Santa Claus turns the staff at the National Federation of the Blind into his honorary elves to help him send letters and activities in Braille to young children (those under the age of ten) across the United States. Between November 9 and December 16, parents can submit a request for a letter at  <http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters> http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters. The form can also be printed and faxed to 410-685-2340 or emailed to  <mailto:communityrelations at nfb.org> communityrelations at nfb.org. Beginning Monday, November 30, the Braille letters from Santa will start going out to children. The Braille letter will be accompanied by a print copy as well and some other fun holiday activities. The deadline for letter requests is December 16.  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters> Learn more about Santa Letters.

Braille Readers Are Leaders—A Contest for Children and Adults:

This contest is designed to encourage the contestants to read more Braille, helping them to improve their reading skills and win prizes. The National Federation of the Blind is partnering with the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults to present the 2020-2021 Braille Readers Are Leaders contest to encourage Braille literacy and reading for pleasure. Children and adults across the United States compete against their same-grade peers to read the most Braille pages between December 1, 2020, through January 18, 2021. Registration is open now. Learn more about the  <https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> Braille Readers Are Leaders contest.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	December 1:  <https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> Braille Readers Are Leaders reading starts
*	December 13: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	December 15-17: Dare to Be Remarkable, 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. eastern
*	January 4: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	January 18:  <https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> Braille Readers Are Leaders registration (and page count) deadline
*	January 28:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/smart-cities-summit> Smart Cities Summit, 12:00-8:00 p.m. eastern
*	February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	February 8:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar> Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In
*	March 31:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist> Scholarship application deadline
*	April 15:  <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> Bolotin Awards nominations deadline
*	July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>