[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1777

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 12:43:37 UTC 2020

September 1, 2020

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

              The positive note is being sent out a day early so that you
have the information to attend the presidential release live tonight,
September 1 at 8:00 p.m.

Presidential Release #497 - Live

              The September presidential release (#497) will be delivered
live by NFB President Mark A. Riccobono. The monthly message provides
important updates and perspectives of the organized blind movement.

Tuesday, September 1, 2020 | 8:00 p.m. ET

              After the remarks, Pam Allen, First Vice President, will
moderate questions. Members of the Federation are encouraged to attend and
non-members are warmly welcomed. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR497 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314,
extension 2473.

              To learn more, visit

https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=400

Join the Zoom

Join the event on September 1 via the web, mobile app, or dial in. Use the
link below to join the webinar:

https://zoom.us/j/95976618299

Or one tap mobile:

US: +16699006833,,95976618299#

Or telephone; dial then enter the corresponding webinar ID:

+1 669 900 6833

Webinar ID: 959 7661 8299

              I enjoyed listening to some of New Mexico's virtual convention
this past weekend. A lot of other states participated in our virtual
convention, and I would encourage all of you to check out conventions this
fall. A list of them can be found at the following link:

https://www.nfb.org/about-us/state-affiliates/state-conventions

              During the evening of August 31, the Computer Science and
Technology Division hosted an open meeting to examine the procedures and
systems used in our convention the weekend of August 21-23. During this hour
long forum, 27 individuals participated from New Jersey, Florida, North
Carolina, South Carolina and other state affiliates. Affiliates had
excellent questions for their future conventions and offered many positive
comments about attending our virtual convention. The CSTD encouraged
affiliates to reach out with any technical questions as they plan their fall
conventions.

              I will be working on committees for the 2020-2021 year. If you
wish to serve on a committee, please text or call me at 803-960-9977 or
email me at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com by Friday, September 11.

             We have a lot of talent in the Palmetto State. Please consider
what committee or committees you would like to work on. Unless it is a
committee giving out an award, or there is a reason not to meet on a regular
basis, suggesting each month, please be active on that committee which goes
along with our NFB pledge as being an active participant in this
organization. Let's find your strengths and add them to our pool in this
state.

             I would like these committees to begin meeting in or before
October once members have been added and a final list has been sent out. I
would encourage committee meetings to be the same day each month to
encourage consistency and not overlap with other committee meetings so
members can be a part of more than one committee.

             Committees include:

              PAC: probably will be combined with SUN and Dream Circle for
the "Doing our Fair Share" committee or some title similar

              White Cane Awareness Day/Walk-A-Thon Committee: probably will
be changed to meet the blind month committee

              Public Relations

              Social Media

              Employer of the Year Award

              Educator of the Year Award

              Donald C Capps Award

              Braille Literacy

              Membership

              Scholarship

              Finance

              Legislative

              Resolutions

              SUN: probably will be combined with  PAC and Dream Circle for
the "Doing our Fair Share" committee or some title similar

              Fund Raising

              Diversity and Inclusion (new)

              Diabetes Action Network (new)

              Thank you to those who donated and made pledges during our
banquet fund raiser during our state convention. We raised $10,000 in a very
short time. If you were not able to make a donation or pledge during that
hour, we welcome your contributions to build the Federation in the Palmetto
State. Tax deductible donations can be mailed to the Federation Center of
the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

              There will be a South Carolina Connects meeting this Thursday,
September 3 at 5 pm on the Zoom platform, the information is below.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/8032543777 Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

              If you have a smart phone, just click below and it will dial
in for you:

+19292056099,,8032543777#

              Or, you can dial in from your land phone:

929 205 6099

Meeting Id no. 803 254 377

             Thank you for sticking with me to the end of this positive
note. I know there was a lot shared in this edition. I will insure reminders
are also sent out via email to the listserv. Information is critical to grow
and learn. Make it a great week and let's go build the Federation!

Final Thought: "When nobody else celebrates you, learn to celebrate
yourself. When nobody else compliments you, then compliment yourself. It's
not up to other people to keep you encouraged. It's up to you. Encouragement
should come from the inside." - Jay Shetty / @jayshetty

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

between blind people and our dreams.