[NFBofSC] Disability Sports, Health and Wellness Conference

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Sun Apr 11 13:39:31 UTC 2021

The below event is being held on 4/13/2021.

From: Gaston, PamelaSubject: Disability Sports, Health and Wellness Conference

 The following information is being forwarded by the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired as a courtesy, in accordance with our continued efforts to share information that may be of interest or of benefit to individuals who are blind, visually impaired and deafblind.

Disability Sports, Health and Wellness Conference

We invite you to join our virtual panel on sports and people with disabilities. Multiple breakouts will provide an opportunity for participants to learn about sports, exercise and other wellness opportunities for people with disabilities. The virtual conference is geared towards, individuals with disabilities, parents, faculty, students, staff and organizations.

Register at:  https://bit.ly/30Zufx9 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/30Zufx9__;!!J30X0ZrnC1oQtbA!fmeaESS1U2CMj3K8hIP5fCIjMtOdyX91n1QMPBfXeZQSllbOpuOQcrVThtNtf2adUEZr5J9JXA$>

Schedule:

4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

-Welcome & Introduction

-Dr. Labros Sidossis

-Javier Robles

-Keynote Address - Kevin Broussard

-Moderators, Jennifer Demby and Kevin Orcel

-Panelists Q&A

5:10 PM - 6:00 PM

Breakout Round 1

-Yoga

-Blind Athletes Inc.

-Exercise, Mental Health, & Mind Body Connection

-Power of Sports For Children with Disabilities (ages 3-12)

-Exercise, Wellness & Nutrition

6:10 PM - 7:00 PM

Breakout Round 2

-Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities & their Families

-Power of Sports For Children with Disabilities (ages 13-22)

-Barriers to Participation In Sports and Recreation for

Adults on the Autism Spectrum

-What To Do During Covid-19

-Paralympian Panel

For questions or requests for accommodations, email Javier.robles at rutgers.edu <mailto:Javier.robles at rutgers.edu> . Please request accommodations by April 12,  2021.

Program Partners:

Rutgers Department of Kinesiology and Health

Center for Disability Sports, Health and Wellness

Office of Veteran and Military Programs and Services

Rutgers Recreation

Rutgers Office of Disability Services

Children's Specialized Hospital–Lightning Wheels Blind Athletes Inc.

New Jersey Lightning Beep Baseball Team

Exercise is Medicine on Campus

Rutgers Center for Adult Autism Services

Special Olympics New Jersey

Mason Gross School of the Arts

New Jersey State Independent Living Council

NJ Council on Developmental Disabilities

ACHaD

NJ Disability Action Committee

Blind Athletes Inc

Register at:  https://bit.ly/30Zufx9 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/30Zufx9__;!!J30X0ZrnC1oQtbA!fmeaESS1U2CMj3K8hIP5fCIjMtOdyX91n1QMPBfXeZQSllbOpuOQcrVThtNtf2adUEZr5J9JXA$>

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

Rocky Bottom Retreat  <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any of the below links!

National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/>

Computer Science  <https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-SC-343263089815304/> & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

Rocky Bottom Retreat  <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> & Conference Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

South Carolina Parents of Blind Children <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr>

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.