[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1809

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 07:03:44 UTC 2021

April 12, , 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1809

803-960-9977

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

What an awesome leadership seminar this past Saturday from 10 until 4 hosted
by the national Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, NFB of SC! Nearly
100 individuals attended the seminar in person and through zoom. The day was
filled with presenters from all over the country. Thank you to Gary Wunder,
Dave DeNotaris, Eileen Rivera Ley, Norma Crosby, Nina Saini, Katie Keim, and
Ademo Vigil for your insight, experience and information shared during our
annual seminar. We thank you for your leadership ideas that will assist our
Palmetto affiliate to grow and to build unity. Thank you also to the
numerous individuals who attended in person and through zoom. We appreciate
everyone taking time out of their Saturday to join us. We hope you gained
insight and nuggets of knowledge that will help us build the Federation!

It is time to begin registering for the National convention of the National
Federation of the Blind; it is free and virtual. Let's have an awesome
turn-out from the Palmetto affiliate! July 6-10, 2021!

Visit

https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention

for all the convention details and look for the register link here

https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?id=432
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?id=432&q=civicrm%2Fevent%2Fregister&
reset=1> &q=civicrm%2Fevent%2Fregister&reset=1

If you need assistance completing the form, please contact David Houck at
the Center at 803-254-3777. Let's have NFB of SC well represented!

Ellen Taylor Memorial:

Our Federation family is deeply saddened by the loss of Ellen Taylor,
daughter of our first vice-president, Lenora Robertson. Ellen loved Rocky
Bottom and spent her time cooking along with Lenora Robertson and Glenda
Culick for many events and numerous years. As a result of her passion and
love for Rocky Bottom, Lenora is asking that memorials in Ellen's name be
made to Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind, RBRCCB, and
mailed to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.
You may also donate using Pay Pal at

www.rockybottomofsc.com <http://www.rockybottomofsc.com>

Please make checks payable to RBRCCB with Ellen Taylor Memorial in the memo
line. We appreciate your consideration in donating to RBRCCB in memory of a
lady whose love, passion, dedication and awesome cooking will never be
forgotten. The Rocky bottom board unanimously decided to have a one-time
$500 scholarship presented to a student during the 2021 state convention to
remember Ellen.

Vender Spotlight and Give Back to the NFB of SC

If you would like to be featured for one month during the year and are
willing to give at least 10% back to the NFB of SC, please call me at
803-960-9977 or email me at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

I will need a small write up for the Positive Note.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
month. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not
a member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to
the public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be
added to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our
website and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the
month. All meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless
noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Braille Literacy Committee 6:00 PM

Meet the Blind and Committee with Panelist for April 17, 7:00 PM

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM

Sumter Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Sports & Rec Division 6:00 PM

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

Florence Chapter 7:00 PM

Clarendon Chapter 8:00 PM

Friday, April 16, 2021

Trivia Night 8:00 PM

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 8:00 AM

Meet the Blind Event 10:00 to 12:00

Charleston Chapter 1:00 PM

Sunday April 18, 2021

Support Group for those who have experienced abuse 3:00 PM

Support Group for recently blind members 5:00 PM

Monday, April 19, 2021

Membership Meeting 7:00 PM

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Advocacy Committee 6:00 PM

Public Relations 8:00 PM

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Social Media 7:30 PM

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 8:00 AM

Monday April 26, 2021

Anderson Chapter 6:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Doing Our Fair Share 7:00 PM

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM

Diversity & Inclusion Committee 8:00 PM

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

              Palmetto Connects

            We will have our next palmetto connects meeting on Thursday,
April 15, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time.  Please encourage your chapters,
divisions, committees to attend to learn about the latest happenings in the
NFB of SC! All are welcome from everywhere!

>From Tracy Spittle, Chair Braille Literacy Committee

The Braille Literacy Committee would like to invite you to join us on April
24, at 9:00 AM, on the  Federation Center Zoom platform to learn  about The
UEB braille code. This discussion is geared towards those who know braille,
but want to learn more about the differences between the old and new codes.
This will last approximately 45 minutes. We plan to hold a series of these
informational sessions, each giving new information, once per month for the
next few months. We look forward to you joining us.

Scholarship Announcement 2021

Spring brings flowers, pollen, and the start of the NFB of SC Scholarship
application season!  With the state convention being August 20-22, 2021, the
deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. June 19, 2021.  The
committee will select the top three applicants, and they will be notified
approximately one month prior to the state convention. The updated
scholarship application is now available at www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org> .  Please also remember that the scholarship
program operates on donations exclusively.  If you or your chapter would
like to contribute a scholarship or make a donation to the Metro Fund,
please get in touch with both me, Shannon Cook, (coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com
<mailto:coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com>  or (803) 605-4250) and Valerie
Warrington, NFB of SC Treasurer.  Also, please help us get the word out
about the program.  If you or someone you know is in school full time,
please encourage them to apply for a scholarship!  Thank you.

Shannon Cook

Scholarship Committee Chairman

Advocacy Committee:

We will be developing an Advocacy committee which will meet the third
Wednesdays of each month at 6:00 PM Eastern starting April 21. If you are
interested in serving on this committee, please contact me at 803-960-9977
via text or phone, or, you may email me your interest at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Let's advocate for blind South Carolinians through the advocacy committee
under the NFB of SC. Below, I have shared some text from the www.nfb.org
<http://www.nfb.org>  website that may give you insight on the interests and
responsibilities of the advocacy committee that we will launch on April 21
at 6:00 PM!

The National Federation of the Blind is continuously working toward securing
full integration, equality, independence, acceptance, and respect for all
blind Americans.

Our advocacy work has centered on issues related to education, employment,
transportation, voting, and civil rights, and is directed by the
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions> resolutions
that are passed every year during our
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> national convention. As
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans, we are
able to provide expert advice in these areas to blind people, their
families, agencies for the blind, corporations, and the government.

Trivia Night April 16

In February we had a great time with everyone for Trivia Night! The National
Federation of the Blind of SC will be having another Trivia Night on Friday
April 16, 2021 at 8:00 PM eastern! You ask, who is invited? Well, let me
give you a clue! If you are reading this then you are invited. We are asking
everyone that plans to play to send an Email to cookcafe at sc.rr.com
<mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  with your name and state. This will allow me to
put everyone on a team in order to save time. Below are the different
categories I have so far for Trivia Night!

Landmarks

Music

NFB

Sports

State Capitals

TV

US History

Misc.

>From Demetrius Williford and The Meet the Blind Committee

The Meet the Blind Committee will be hosting an event that will take place
via zoom on April 17, 2021 the hours will be 10 AM until 12 PM. We will have
a panel of 10 representatives of the national Federation of the blind Of
South Carolina. Each panelist will have five minutes to give A little
insight on what they do as a officer of the NfB of SC. The individuals that
we are going to invite to this event will be City and county councilman
State legislative officers and local leaders in the state of South Carolina.
We will have a question and answer portion that our guests can participate
in. The committee along with the panelists participating should join a
preliminary meeting Monday, April 12 at 7:00 PM on the Federation main zoom
number. For more information, please contact Demetrius Williford at
864-328-8177.

              PAC Plan Challenge:

              We will be running a contest from December 5, 2020  through
May 31, 2021 for our NFB of SC affiliate. We are currently 13 and would like
to be in the top 10 or higher. One of our members would like to see us as an
affiliate contribute $1,500 to PAC each month between chapters, divisions,
individuals and our NFB of SC affiliate. If you join PAC, your name will be
entered into a drawing for a $100 visa gift card. If you increase your PAC
donation, your name will be entered into a different $100 visa gift card
drawing. I have a list of chapters, divisions, and individuals who are on
PAC at this time. On June 1, I will ask the national office for another list
which I will use to have the two drawings on June 1. There are many ways to
give. Below, is a little about PAC.

              Thank you for your interest in the National Federation of the
Blind's Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program. This program allows you
to contribute to the NFB through recurring monthly donations. These can be
direct withdrawals from a checking account or charges to a credit card.
Please contact pac at nfb.org <mailto:pac at nfb.org>  with any questions. Thank
you for your generosity.

              You can go to https://www.nfb.org/pac to complete the online
form.

              You may also call the national office at 410-659-9314
extension 2622 or email PAC at nfb.org <mailto:PAC at nfb.org>  with questions.

              There are several chapters and divisions within our state who
are on PAC and we are grateful for those contributions. There are
individuals who are on PAC and we are appreciative of those members who give
each month. As an affiliate, we are averaging $17.41 per person and less
than 10% of our members are on PAC. Let's see if we can increase those
percentages to over $20 per month and have at least 20% of our members on
PAC. I appreciate you considering to get on the PAC plan or increasing your
donation each month!

Thank you to the following individuals, chapters and divisions who have
gotten on PAC or who have increased their PAC amount each month:

 New contributors (6):

Cheri Euton

Lori Coley

At Large Chapter

Lancaster Chapter

Melanie Torrance

Lynn Hornsby

Increases:

David Bundy

Debra Canty

NFB SC Sumter Chapter

Steve and Shannon Cook

Jennifer Bazer

Rank: 12

Average given per month: $960.75

Monthly totals:

December 2020 - $898.00

January 2021- $953.00

February 2021- $991.00

March 2021- $1,001.00

Total given in 2020: $10,731.00

Total given in 2021 so far: $2,945.00

              SUN Shares

              Shares Unlimited NFB (SUN) is a rainy day fund. Shares are
just $10 each. We collected and others pledged toward this giving at our
statewide seminar. You can donate in increments of $10 for this rainy day
fund. The Palmetto state is currently 13 and we would love to be in the top
five. You are welcome to send checks made to NFB of SC with SUN in the memo
line to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.
You may also donate using our pay pal link on our page

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

              Please when you donate give a little extra to help cover the
cost of administration fees from pay pal, $.30 for each $10. Thank you for
considering if you can donate to this fund.

>From Phil Marret

IT is with much sadness that the Upstate Blind Fishing committee has deemed
it necessary to call our tournament off again this year.

              Nationally:

On

https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports

there is a section of speeches and reports. I encourage you to read some of
these valuable and informative reports and speeches.

Speeches and Reports

The National Federation of the Blind has a rich history that can be
discerned in large part from presidential reports, our official resolutions,
and landmark speeches given by our leaders.

Presidential Reports

Delivered annually by our President at the
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> national convention,
presidential reports serve as official historical records of our efforts and
accomplishments every year.
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/presidential-reports>
Presidential reports since 1987 are available online.

Resolutions

The official policies of the National Federation of the Blind are
established every year with annual
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions> resolutions
adopted at the national convention.

Banquet Speeches

Delivered annually by our President at the national convention, the banquet
speech often delves into groundbreaking philosophical thought and results in
a rousing standing ovation. You can read and listen to past
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/banquet-speeches> banquet
speeches online.

Final Thought:

"If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look
at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough." -Oprah Winfrey

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>