[NFBofSC] President's Notebook Week of April 12, 2021

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 00:01:34 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

*News:*

 *Safety and Support Open Meetings on Code of Conduct FAQs (CC and Spanish
Available):*

The Survivors Task Force invites Federationists and members of the blind community to attend one of two planned open calls to review the Code of Conduct Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and to collect feedback on the Code of Conduct itself. Scheduled calls are on Thursday, April 15, and Sunday, April 18, from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm eastern. Zoom details available.
Learn more at
https://nfb.org/programs-services/safety-support/safety-support-upcoming-events

*Code of Conduct on NFB-NEWSLINE®:*

The Code of Conduct and the related FAQs are now available on NFB-NEWSLINE under the NFB National Channel. These documents are available in both text and audio formats.  You can also visit:  nfb.org/codeofconduct.

*Lyft Offering Free Rides to Federation Members:*

Our rideshare partners at Lyft, through their LyftUp Vaccine Access program, will be providing access to free and donated rides. The code is being made available for use through April 30. It should be used to travel to and from COVID-19 vaccination appointments. There will be a code for dose one and a separate code for dose two. Members will need to contact affiliate presidents to receive a code and must submit the name of the individual requesting the code, their city and state, and a description of how the code will be used. Please do not share or post on social media.

*Promote Special Offerings at #NFB21: *

State affiliates and national divisions have the opportunity to promote fundraising items and resources during the 2021 NFB National Convention.
Please contact your state president for more information.

*Summer Program for High School Students: Applications Open for NFB EQ:*

National Federation of the Blind Engineering Quotient (NFB EQ) applications are open. NFB EQ is going virtual July 5-30. High school students can join us on a month-long adventure into engineering and problem-solving activities. No specific level of engineering experience is required. Engage in activities designed to strengthen knowledge and grow interests. The deadline to apply is May 10. Learn more and apply now at www.nfb.org/eq.

*Door Prizes:*

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 National Convention. We request cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift certificates as prizes. Cash donations make it easier to create prize groups and to distribute prizes from one location. Please make your checks payable to National Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. You should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process it accordingly. You can also send an email to prize at nfb.org to let us know you are sending a contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid Burke (bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks (bhooks at nfb.org or extension 2508) with any questions. We are looking forward to another informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

*Reminders:*

*Apply for 2021 Bolotin Awards:*

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2021 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>

 *Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - April 15: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - April 18: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
nominations
   deadline
   - May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - May 7: NFB BELL Academy application
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> deadline (for
   session one)
   - May 10: NFB EQ application <http://www.nfb.org/eq> deadline
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC
President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC
1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC
The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!
Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center
Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any of the below links!
National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book
Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC
Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center
South Carolina Association of Blind Students
South Carolina Parents of Blind Children

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.