[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1827

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Aug 16 11:05:23 UTC 2021

August 16, 2021

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1827

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

Many of us will be leaving on Thursday, August 19 to head to the North Charleston Marriott. If you are leaving on the van from Columbia, please be at the Center no later than 11:00 A.M Thursday morning, August 19. Those that are traveling this weekend to the hotel, please be safe and we will see you soon!

There is still time to join us virtually. If you are on the fence about attending, we hope you will consider joining us virtually; the rate is $30. You may go to our website at

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

to register virtually! The agenda was released on the list serv August 12 and will be on the website and Newsline soon! Please note, there will be small updates to the agenda as we are still receiving sponsorships! If you have registered to attend virtually and have not received the agenda, schedule and zoom information, please call Steve Cook at 803-254-0222 or email him at

cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>

Once you join the zoom room, you will be placed in a waiting room to verify registration and phone number. All participants will be muted unless you are on the schedule to speak. Please remember to raise your hand or use the chat feature if you have questions. We are looking forward to an awesome 65th annual state convention of the NFB of SC August 20-22!

We will have an additional Palmetto Connects on Monday, August 16 at 6:00 PM on the Federation zoom platform to discuss final convention details and answer questions. Please make all effort to attend this important meeting about our convention. Chapter and division presidents along with board members, please have as many of your members attend, especially, if they are joining us virtually or in-person.

Update 65th Annual State convention

We currently have 124 individuals registered for the state convention in-person and 56 registered virtually! I want to thank all of you who have registered for our convention. We are going to have an amazing event, and we want everyone to be a part of it.

Palmetto Connects

Our next Palmetto Connects will be on Monday, August 16 at 6:00 PM on the Federation zoom platform. During this time, we will discuss in detail about the convention and answer questions about the hotel, virtual attendance and more. Please make every effort to attend, especially if, you are attending the convention virtually or in-person.

SC Commission for the Blind Board Meeting

Board Meeting
Wednesday, August 18, 2021 • 11:00 am

The Board Meeting will be conducted via phone/web conference call.
Beginning at 10:50 am, participants may join the meeting using Zoom:

*	With a smart phone / mobile device:

*	 <tel:1%20646%20876%209923,,833%200295%204066> Tap to join

*	Or by phone:

*	Dial ONE of the following numbers:
     <tel:1%20646%20876%209923> +1 646 876 9923 (primary)
     <tel:1%20301%20715%208592> +1 301 715 8592 (backup)
*	Enter the Meeting ID: 833 0295 4066
*	Press #

Memorial Service during State Convention

Dorothy Barksdale will be leading our Memorial service on Sunday, August 22 during the convention. Please email or call her with members that have passed since our last state convention last August.

Chapter and Division Meetings

Some of you are now meeting in person. It is important to continue to let our Federation family know when and where you are meeting for chapter and division meetings as some of us may wish to join you in-person or virtually. Please insure Steve and I know when and where you are meeting so we can add to our calendar of events and to the Positive Note. Please remember, zoom is like a conference line when you dial by phone. If you happen to use a conference line, we need to know that information. Meetings should be held per your constitution and on a specific day and time each month.

Please remember to follow your chapter or division constitution with meetings, dues and more. If changes need to be made, please follow guidelines in the constitution to amend that constitution. Amended constitutions should be sent to me and copy Steve Cook so they can be sent to nationals for documentation.

If we have an email on file, those constitutions were sent to chapter and division presidents. Paper copies have been sent to those who do not have an email address on file.

State Convention Welcome Bags

NFB of SC welcome bags have been ordered for state convention. Every registered in-person attendee will receive a welcome bag.

We need your help filling these bags. Thank you to those who have sent items.

Please send new items that you would want in our welcome bags. Hand sanitizers, snacks, bottles of water, water bottles, gift cards, cards for free this or that, etc. We would like to have all items at the center by August 13 so we can have a packing party. Currently, we have over 100 individuals registered for in-person.

The great thing, all bags are not the same! You can trade with a neighbor!

Please send items to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also make a donation by using pay pal on our site

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Please note welcome bag in the comment section.

Or, mail checks to the Federation Center made to the NFB of SC and note welcome bag in the memo line.

We will have a packing party of welcome bags on Tuesday, August 17 at 11:00 A.M. at the Federation Center. Please bring your welcome bag contributions and join us for fun and fellowship.

Let’s build the NFB of SC! Stronger together! U and I in Unity!

State Convention Banquet Fund-Raiser

Please remember we raise money for the NFB of SC during our banquet at the state convention. It is exciting to see we can raise $10,000 within an hour.

I am hopeful we can reach and even exceed that goal on August 21. We have raised nearly $1,200 prior to the convention!

You may go ahead and send in banquet contributions to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please insure checks are made to NFB of SC and note banquet fund-raiser.

You may also contribute using pay pal on our webpage at

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Please also note banquet fund-raiser in the comments section.

Contributions can come from chapters, divisions, individuals and businesses.

Thank you for considering your donation for our banquet on August 21.

As president of this affiliate, I would not ask you to do something I am not willing to do. I will be contributing $250 for the banquet, $100 for the scholarship fund, and at least $100 as a state convention sponsor.

My hope is that we will have 100% participation from all chapters and divisions, as well as, 100% participation from NFB of SC board members. Remember, as leaders, we lead by example and being on the board, being a chapter or division president means active participation with our attendance and our donations.

All contributors will be listed in a future Positive Note for our banquet.

Thank you for all you do to help the Palmetto affiliate lead with hope, love and determination. Stronger together!

State Convention Door Prizes

Thank you to those who have sent in door prizes for the state convention. You may send in a gift card or prize valued at $10 or more to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may send a check made to the NFB of SC and note door prize and we will get  a door prize for you or your chapter or division, or we will turn it into a cash prize. We are looking for at least four $100 cash prizes to give out at special times during the convention. If you, your chapter, or your division wishes to contribute, please send info to the state office. Door prizes will be done electronically.

For those who have not yet donated, please be sure to include who has donated the door prize and what the item is.  Braille is preferred but writing it on a separate sheet in black marker would be helpful as well.  Thanks in advance for the donations.

Roommate Needed for State Convention

Diane Haycraft

864-641-5440

Is looking for a female roommate to share the cost of the hotel. Please contact her with questions.

NFB of SC Fund-Raisers at State Convention

>From Debra Canty, Chair, NFB of SC Fund-raising Committee

We are raising funds for the South Carolina affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind…

PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Fundraising committee are raffling off 2 new Amazon Echo Dots 4th generation and a new 8-inch HD Amazon Fire tablet at the NFB of SC State Convention.

Tickets are $2 for 1 and $5 for 3. AND…for every $5 purchase, your name will go into a drawing for a $50 cash prize💰.  So go ahead and double, triple, or quadruple your chances of winning one or more of these three items. To purchase, please message me or email the # of tickets you want, the item you’d like to win, and your contact information. Payments can be made to:

$NFBSCFundraiser

Send email requests to:  nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com <mailto:nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com> .

Donations are welcome!  Thanks in advance for your support!!!

**Make sure to put the $ before NFBSCFundraiser**

Please share and forward this email far and wide as appropriate.

Please reach-out to Andrew Adams (Who’s regulating the emails and CASHAPP information) or a committee member with your support of purchasing tickets in groups of doubles, triples or quads in this statewide fundraising effort to help improve the quality of life for the blind and sight impaired.

Thank you,

Debra Canty,

Chairperson of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Fundraising Committee

>From David Rebocho, President, Sports and Rec Division State Convention Fund-Raiser

The sports and rec division will have a table at exhibit hall and for our fundraiser we will be selling whistles with lanyards, individual packs of trail mix, bottles of water and also the main item awesome lime green Cousy that has the NFB symbol on them and it says “national federation of the blind of South Carolina sports and rec division.

David Rebocho

President

Sports/Rec Division

>From the Blind Merchants’ Division

The merchants division is doing a couple of things starting at the convention.

Goodie bags of snacks for $5 each worth around $15.

Tickets for a prize drawing. The tickets are 1 for $5 or 3 for $10. The prize is a smart TV of at least 55 inches. The tickets will be available starting at the convention. The drawing will take p,ace at the statewide seminar in January.

>From Thom Spittle, President, CSTD

Fund-Raiser for CSTD during state Convention

There are 3 items:

$25 Gift card to Darden Restaurants

$25 Amazon Gift Card

New 4th generation Amazon Echo dot

Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5.

The purchaser will decide which drawing their tickets will be entered into. So they can stuff the box for 1 particular item, or spread it out for a chance to win each of the items.

You do not need to be present to win. If you would like to purchase tickets virtually and pay via paypal or CashApp, call or text Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344.

>From Shelley Coppel, President, Senior Division

Fund-Raiser Beginning at state convention

The Senior Division is hosting a 50/50 drawing to begin at this convention to be drawn at our Statewide Seminar.  Tickets will cost $5 per ticket.  The winner and Senior Division will split the profits!!

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at $500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for $25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places you go.

Let’s work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto affiliate. We have currently only sold 13 tickets. Great odds for those individuals; however, not a successful fund-raiser with only 13 tickets sold at this time. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our community will enjoy!

Marriott tickets sales so far:

16          Sumter Chapter

  3          Columbia Chapter 3 Lori Corley Blind Vision

12          At Large Chapter

6            Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

  6          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

67          total

Sponsorship Letter for State Convention and updates on Sponsorships

The individuals who obtain additional  sponsorships between august 6 and August 19 and money for those  sponsorships have been received via Pay Pal, check or cash, your name will be entered into a drawing for each sponsor you obtain that has fulfilled their sponsorship. These sponsorships will still go to the chapter or division you designate for the chapter/division contest.

If you need sponsorship letters sent out, please contact David Houck and he will be happy to assist. Please do not forget about our contest. The chapter or divisions who obtains the most sponsorship donation in dollar amount will receive a percentage of the total donations raised. Our goal is $15,000. Sponsorships will help defray costs of the convention for the affiliate. Currently, the Columbia chapter has raised $4,900, The Sumter chapter $900, the At Large chapter has raised $250 and the Senior Division has raised $200 for a total of $6,250. What an awesome start all of you! Let’s send out those sponsorship letters, make phone calls, add to Face Book and other social media, and other creative ways. It is not too late to obtain sponsorships. We have received $600 since the agenda was added to the list serv!

SCSB BLIND ALUMNI SEPTEMBER 24 AND 25  2021

The SCSB ALUMNI will be hosting a special ten years celebration during the September 24 and 25 2021 homecoming weekend at Robertson Hall Fun Room for the Blind Alumni.  It will kick off on Friday night with the yearly meeting, at 5:00pm, followed by dinner and a unique program that will bring back good memories.  The Blind will also run the canteen during the football game on Saturday.

Registration:

Registration for the weekend-- September 24 and 25  is $35.00($25.00 for Alumni and $10.00 for Friday dinner).  Each person is responsible for any additional meals and snacks.  We will meet in Robertson Hall Fun Room.

Please call Magdaline Floyd and place your meal order for Friday dinner at 803-920-4433

Friday night will feature a meal, door prizes, and a student of each decade will give a short talk, and on Saturday morning from 9:00am till 10:00am; a visit to the Museum in Walker Hall.

Hotel--- Make your reservation today at

Holiday Inn Express  I-26 US 29

Exit 21B Westgate Mall

895 Spartan Blvd

Spartanburg, SC 29301

Phone:  864-699-7777

Rates are $102.00 plus tax for single rooms or double rooms. Make sure you tell the representative that you are with the  Blind Alumni Cedar Spring so you can receive the special rates. These rates are good from Thursday, September 23 through Sunday morning, September 26 at checkout.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast at no cost.

You can purchase a SCSDB Green Hornet jacket witch features the 1970s dark green jacket with  green and white  around the collar, cuff,  and tail  with SCSDB across the back shoulders with the hornet under it .  This will be a wonderful audition to add to your fall and winter wears

You can place your order for your Green Hornet jacket(s) by texting or calling Magdalene Floyd at 803-920-4433.  Give her your name, contact phone number, jacket size(s) and how many jacket(s) you need.

Jacket Sale---  price is not determined as of now.  The vender for the jacket is still trying to secure the jackets, you can still place your order.   Right now there are 29 commitments to buy a jacket.  If the jacket are ready, then September 3 is the deadline to order the jacket if you want it by September 25th.  The jacket will still be available for order after September, but you will get it at a later date, but the price may change.

Anthony Nelson

Secretary

Cooper River Bridge Run

Our Sports and Recreation Division will be coordinating the Cooper River Bridge Run held the last Saturday in September. We plan to rent an Air BNB the night before in the Charleston/MT. Pleasant area to prevent early Saturday driving. After you have registered with Shree from the information provided below, please contact me or David Rebocho to let us know if you wish to stay in the Air BnB the night before. All individuals staying at the Air BnB will need to pay their part in the rental of the house by August 15, 2021. Please remember you can get friends and family to sponsor you to run or walk during this event to cover registration and housing costs.

Here is a message from our contact:

You can direct participants to Shree.  I'll include all the contact info at the bottom of this email. Shree can help them sign our waiver and then she can collect the information necessary to help them register.

After looking at the CRBR website, it appears that the registration fee goes up as the date draws closer.  Until June 15 the registration fee is $50.  After that the fee jumps to $55, then it jumps again to $60 after August 15.

Shree Gobin

Volunteer Coordinator, Adaptive Expeditions

(317) 682-8222

Shree at AEOutdoors.org <mailto:Shree at AEOutdoors.org>

>From Shannon Cook

Scholarship Announcement 2021

Thank you to the following individuals, chapters, and divisions who have contributed to the scholarship fund for 2021.

Below is the list of donations received so far for the Scholarship Program.

$500                                       Kline Memorial Scholarship

$500                                       Anderson Chapter Jenny Smith Scholarship

$500                                       Greenville Chapter Ruth Jordan Scholarship

$500                                       RBRCCB Ellen Taylor Memorial Scholarship

$425                                       Patricia Tuck Memorial Scholarship

$300                                       Belvedere Chapter Scholarship

$250                                       Sumter Chapter John Howard Scholarship

$250                                       Columbia Chapter John Fling Memorial Scholarship

$250                                       Grand Strand Chapter Scholarship

$250                                      CSTD Scholarship

$125                                       Cherokee Chapter Scholarship

$100                                       Chesterfield Chapter donation to the Metro Fund

$100                                       Anderson Chapter donation for the Metro Fund

$100                                       Linda Dizzley or Lee County Chapter donation for the Metro Fund

$50                                        At-Large Chapter donation for the Metro Fund

$25                                         Lori Anne Coley

$100 Jennifer Bazer

$4325                                   Total

I would like to issue a challenge to each member and chapter or division who has not already contributed to this worthy program.  I would like to ask each member to donate $10 and chapters or divisions to donate at least $50.  Remember, these students are the likely future leaders of the Federation.  What better reason to donate than to invest in the future of our organization!  You can go to www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and make your donation via PayPal.  Alternatively, you can mail a check made out to the NFB of SC and mailed to the Federation Center.   In either case, please specify that you are donating to the scholarship program; otherwise, the donation will not be used as you intend. Thank you for your consideration.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, August 16, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

Membership Committee 7:00 PM

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Get Fit evening session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Advocacy Committee 6:00 PM

Public Relations 8:00 PM

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Florence Chapter 7:00 PM

Federation Center

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Fascinating Facts

*	A blue whale weighs as much as three elephants and is as long as three Greyhound buses.

Joke of the Week

What did one elevator say to the other?

I think I’m coming down with something.

Final Thought

Opportunities are like sunrises, if you wait too long, you miss them. - William Arthur Ward

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - “The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.”

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>