[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1829

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Aug 30 10:27:12 UTC 2021

August 30, 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1829

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

I spent the weekend at the baseball field watching my son along with his
Black Socks team win two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday to clench
the 12 youth championship! The third inning, the Black Socks were trailing
by seven runs. The umpires seemed to be calling plays in favor of the other
team. In the fourth inning, our team scored six runs. We were trailing by
one run. The next inning, we held the opponent to no runs scored, , and the
Black Socks were able to score five additional runs putting them ahead by
four runs. The final inning we scored an additional six runs sealing the
championship by ten runs. Many times, we see how far we have to go; it looks
too hard, too far, we cannot see the goal,, and we give up. Despite being
down by seven runs and the umpires calls in favor of the opponent, the Black
Socks kept their head in the game, their eye on the win. They did not give
up. They turned obstacles into opportunities, and in doing so, they stood on
the mound receiving their first prize rings.

As we turn toward the NFB of SC and the upcoming year, let's keep looking at
the windshield and not the rear view mirror. Let's look at what is in front
of us and not focus on what is behind us. Let's climb one step at a time and
not focus on the entire staircase. When things seem difficult, challenging,
tough, keep pushing, keep your eye on the prize. Maybe, its not a first
place ring like the Black Socks; maybe, it's building the NFB of SC; maybe,
it's increasing membership and outreach; maybe, it's changing what it means
to be blind;  and hopefully, it's living the lives we want with love, hope
and determination. Now, keep your eye on the prize and let's go build the
Federation!

Palmetto Connects, Monday, August 30

Palmetto Connects will be held Monday, August 30 at 6:00 PM Eastern on the
Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for happenings
in the NFB of SC!

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of
SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at
$500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during
Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for
$25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need
tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. We have currently only sold 13 tickets. Great odds for those
individuals; however, not a successful fund-raiser with only 13 tickets sold
at this time. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC
for a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in
our community will enjoy!

26          Sumter Chapter

3          Columbia Chapter

3 Lori Corley Blind Vision

12          At Large Chapter

6           Grand Strand Chapter

3          Lancaster Chapter

6          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

3          Sheila Wright - MO

3          Rock Hill Chapter

3          Anderson Chapter

83          total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

RBRCCB Fall Festival Ticket Sales and Online Auction

We will be having our annual online auction to raise money for Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind RBRCCB beginning Saturday October
30, 2021 and will conclude a week later. We would love your help and
collecting new items to donate to our online auction. We raised over $9,000
last year. We are hoping to increase those proceeds this fall! Please mail
and drop off new items at the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205. Please include a description of the item(s), value of
the item and the contributor.

7          Columbia

21          Anderson

84         Suzanne Bryant - RB Resident Manager $420 cash

100        Sumter Chapter

20        Tom Bowen

20          John Todd

20          Lancaster Chapter

40          At Large Chapter

312        Total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

Committees 2021-2022

If you wish to chair or co-chair a committee, please email me with your
goals and vision for the upcoming year along with steps to accomplish those
goals. We want to insure accountability for committing to a project and to
insure goals are attained. Those chair and co-chair intentions must be
emailed to me by September 15. If you wish to serve on a committee, please
email or text me with your committee interests by the same date. Committees
for 2021-2022 will begin starting in October! Please understand we want
fresh ideas, new leaders and that committee leaders may change to give
others an opportunity to serve with their ideas.

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

803-960-9977

2021-2022 Committees

We Care

Fundraising

Legislative and Advocacy

Public Relations and Social Media

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)

Diabetes Action Network (DAN)

Grant

Scholarship

Resolutions

Employer of the Year

Educator of the Year

Donald C. Capps

Membership and Outreach

Meet the Blind

Braille Literacy

Doing Our Fair Share including PAC, SUN and Dream Circle

Finance

Contributing to Banquet Fundraiser

We raised just over $10,000 at our annual banquet fundraiser at the state
convention! I want to thank chapters, divisions and individuals for making
this a success! We could not do it without all of us working together. Names
of those who have contributed and pledged will be listed in future Positive
Notes. If you would like to donate, please make checks payable to NFB of SC
with banquet fundraiser in the memo line and mail to the Federation Center,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also contribute using Pay
Pal on our

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

website. We appreciate you supporting NFB of SC and its programs and
services!

Sports & Rec Fund Raiser

>From David Rebocho, President, Sports and Rec Division Fund-Raiser

The Sports and Rec Division is still selling whistles with lanyards and
awesome lime green Cousy that has the NFB symbol on them and it says
"national federation of the blind of South Carolina sports and rec division.
If you would like to support the division, please call or text David at
401-484-4525.

David Rebocho

President

Sports/Rec Division

Blind Merchants Fund Raiser

>From the Blind Merchants' Division

The Merchants' Division has Tickets for a prize drawing. The tickets are 1
for $5 or 3 for $10. The prize is a smart TV of at least 55 inches. The
tickets will be available starting at the convention. The drawing will take
place at the statewide seminar in January. Please reach out to Belinda
Banks, President of this division or another merchant to request tickets!
Let's support merchants!

Senior Division Fund Raiser

>From Shelley Coppel, President, Senior Division

Fund-Raiser Beginning at state convention

The Senior Division is hosting a 50/50 drawing to begin at this convention
to be drawn at our Statewide Seminar.  Tickets will cost $5 per ticket.  The
winner and Senior Division will split the profits!. Please reach out to
Shelley Coppel for tickets to support the Senior Division!

SCSB BLIND ALUMNI SEPTEMBER 24 AND 25  2021

The SCSB ALUMNI will be hosting a special ten years celebration during the
September 24 and 25 2021 homecoming weekend at Robertson Hall Fun Room for
the Blind Alumni.  It will kick off on Friday night with the yearly meeting,
at 5:00pm, followed by dinner and a unique program that will bring back good
memories.  The Blind will also run the canteen during the football game on
Saturday.

Registration:

Registration for the weekend-- September 24 and 25  is $35.00($25.00 for
Alumni and $10.00 for Friday dinner).  Each person is responsible for any
additional meals and snacks.  We will meet in Robertson Hall Fun Room.

Please call Magdaline Floyd and place your meal order for Friday dinner at
803-920-4433

Friday night will feature a meal, door prizes, and a student of each decade
will give a short talk, and on Saturday morning from 9:00am till 10:00am; a
visit to the Museum in Walker Hall.

Hotel--- Make your reservation today at

Holiday Inn Express  I-26 US 29

Exit 21B Westgate Mall

895 Spartan Blvd

Spartanburg, SC 29301

Phone:  864-699-7777

Rates are $102.00 plus tax for single rooms or double rooms. Make sure you
tell the representative that you are with the  Blind Alumni Cedar Spring so
you can receive the special rates. These rates are good from Thursday,
September 23 through Sunday morning, September 26 at checkout.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast at no cost.

You can purchase a SCSDB Green Hornet jacket witch features the 1970s dark
green jacket with  green and white  around the collar, cuff,  and tail  with
SCSDB across the back shoulders with the hornet under it .  This will be a
wonderful audition to add to your fall and winter wears

You can place your order for your Green Hornet jacket(s) by texting or
calling Magdalene Floyd at 803-920-4433.  Give her your name, contact phone
number, jacket size(s) and how many jacket(s) you need.

Jacket Sale---  price is not determined as of now.  The vender for the
jacket is still trying to secure the jackets, you can still place your
order.   Right now there are 29 commitments to buy a jacket.  If the jacket
are ready, then September 3 is the deadline to order the jacket if you want
it by September 25th.  The jacket will still be available for order after
September, but you will get it at a later date, but the price may change.

Anthony Nelson

Secretary

Cooper River Bridge Run

Our Sports and Recreation Division will be coordinating the Cooper River
Bridge Run held the last Saturday in September. We plan to rent an Air BNB
the night before in the Charleston/MT. Pleasant area to prevent early
Saturday driving. After you have registered with Shree from the information
provided below, please contact me or David Rebocho to let us know if you
wish to stay in the Air BnB the night before. All individuals staying at the
Air BnB will need to pay their part in the rental of the house by August 15,
2021. Please remember you can get friends and family to sponsor you to run
or walk during this event to cover registration and housing costs.

Here is a message from our contact:

You can direct participants to Shree.  I'll include all the contact info at
the bottom of this email. Shree can help them sign our waiver and then she
can collect the information necessary to help them register.

After looking at the CRBR website, it appears that the registration fee goes
up as the date draws closer.  Until June 15 the registration fee is $50.
After that the fee jumps to $55, then it jumps again to $60 after August 15.

Shree Gobin

Volunteer Coordinator, Adaptive Expeditions

(317) 682-8222

Shree at AEOutdoors.org <mailto:Shree at AEOutdoors.org>

Zoom Events for the upcoming Week!

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All
meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

August 30, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

September 2021

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Cooking with the At Large Chapter 6:30 PM

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Darlington County Chapter Meeting 7:00 PM

Friday, September 3, 2021

Meet the Blind Committee 6:00 PM

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Get Fit session with the Sports & Rec 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

Greenville Chapter Meeting 11:00 AM

Student Division Meeting 8:00 PM

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Support group for recently blinded members 5:00 PM

Monday, September 6, 2021

Fund Raising Committee 7:00 PM

Federation Center

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

Fascinating Facts

In their lifetime, the average person walks the equivalent of five times
around the Earth.

Joke of the Week

Why don't seagulls fly over the bay?

Because then they'd be bagels.

Final Thought

*	"Never allow the fear of striking out keep you from playing the
game." - Babe Ruth

If you have read to the end of this positive note ,what would you like me to
know about you? Fascinating fact about you? Something that I don't know
already? Email me with your responses.

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
SC

President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

between blind people and our dreams.