[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1843

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Dec 6 11:58:23 UTC 2021

December 5, 2021

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1843

803-960-9977  Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

              Greetings Fellow Federationists:

What a blast the Anderson chapter Christmas party was on Friday night, December 3. We heard various presenters, music selections, scripture and enjoyed a large spread of food. Thank you anderson for the invitation! If you would like me to speak or attend your chapter or division Christmas festivities, please let me know!

The Rocky Bottom and NFB of SC boards met on Saturday December 4 during our annual Christmas board retreat at Rocky Bottom. The Rocky Bottom board began sharply at 10:00 A.M. We heard about improvements and renovations that occurred during 2021 from Successful Transitions, The Salem Lions and Gwen Ellenburg. All benefactors discussed their plans for 2022. We appreciate Gwen and the Salem Lions for visiting during the board meeting. We will continue to look at grants for Rocky Bottom. To make up some of the difference this year from last year with the online auction, we will auction off the remaining items that did not sell during the online auction. If you have items you wish to contribute to the auction at the statewide seminar to benefit Rocky Bottom, please label them auction and mail or take to the center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. We understand the famous lemon pound cakes will return to the aution along with other yummy treats.

The NFB of SC board meeting started at 2:00 PM. We discussed our statewide seminar which will be held on Saturday, January 8, 2022 from 10:00 A.M. until 4:00 PM Eastern. Ike Nelson will provide our meal which will be covered by the affiliate, and therefore, no charge for those attending. This event will be streamed and not viewed on zoom. This means that you can listen, but unfortunately due to our auction and other events that day, you will not be able to interact with the in-person attendees. Please call David Houck at the center if you plan to attend in person. I am hoping chapters, divisions and committees will provide updates and even interactive programming.

The board voted not to have a chartered bus to new Orleans. We will explore airline options as we did in 2019 to Vegas. Amtrack options will be explored. It is very important to assist members to attend national and state conventions within the chapter.

The board voted to send Anna Price and Elizabeth Rouse to Washington seminar since only two representatives from SC could attend in person. They are the co-chairs of the legislative and advocacy committee. We will have a group participate in meetings via zoom that same week.

We will be forming a committee to review constitutions on the state and chapter and division level. We will have someone from the national office to give us some tips and guidance.

We also discussed forming a guide dog division in our affiliate. Raul, president of the National Association of Guide Dog Users will be visiting us at our statewide seminar to kick off this division and give us support.

We discussed the importance of leaders including chapter presidents, division presidents, and board members to attend most meetings including Palmetto Connects, board meetings and state and national conventions. There were 14 out of 15 NFB of SC board members in attendance in person or through zoom. Thank you to those who were attending and participating. Your input is welcome and valued. We will continue to take role during Palmetto Connects, board meetings and other events. It is important that our leaders lead by example as the affiliate has voted you as our leaders.

The next Rocky bottom and NFB of SC board meetings will be held during statewide seminar from 12:15 PM until 1:45 PM. Each board meeting will last about 45 minutes.

Thank you to all of you who attended this year’s Christmas board retreat. The kitchen crew of Lenora Robertson, Glenda Culick and Trent Tetter was appreciated and excellent! Thank you to Thom Spittle who made sure everyone was comfortable during their stay. Thank you to all of you who attended in person and through zoom. Together we are stronger. Let’s go build the NFB of SC!

I want to personally invite you into my home on Saturday, December 11 from 2:00 PM until 9:00 PM for food, fellowship, fun, and music. I want all of us to celebrate our accomplishments in our affiliate over the past year, to get to know me more on a personal level and to thank all of you for your hard work, dedication and passion for the blind of the Palmetto affiliate. You may drop in for a bit or stay the entire time. Bring yourself, a friend, and the only requirement is to have fun with your Federation family. Small gifts and door prizes will be given out during the festivities. Please RSVP by texting or calling me at 803-960-9977 or emailing me at

Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com>

By Thursday, December 9.

My address is 155 Derby Drive, West Columbia, SC 29170.

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, December 16

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, December 16 at 6:00 PM Eastern on the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for happenings in the NFB of SC!

Statewide Seminar, January 8, 2022

The 2022 statewide seminar will be held January 8 at the Federation Center in Columbia from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM Eastern. The statewide seminar is like a mini one day convention where we will hear from chapters, divisions, committees and more about their events in the Palmetto affiliate. It is a time to come together, meet new friends, reunite with old friends. We will be streaming this event not through zoom. As a result, participation and discussion will not be able to happen during streaming. You will be able to listen but not speak like on zoom. We hope to see you there! Both Rocky Bottom Board and NFB of SC will have their board meetings between 12:15 and 1:45. If you plan to attend in person, please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 so we know how many to plan for our free lunch. I want to thank Ike Nelson for his willingness to assist in preparing our meal for this event. I am hopeful that all leaders including chapter and division presidents along with board members will attend in person. If you plan to sell items during the statewide seminar as fundraisers, please let me know so I can add to the next Positive Note.

NFB of SC Bags and Shirts

The NFB of SC is selling bags with the NFB of SC logo and Live the Life you Want on the front. The bag is black, bottom is red and the straps are white. The top is open. There is a zipper that expands the bag. There is a zippered pocket on the front where the NFB of SC logo is located. The bags are great for a gift or for sporting the NFB of SC logo and tag line. The bags sell for $25 each. You can pay pal the money on our website

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

or send cash or check made to NFB of SC to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

We are also selling short sleeve t-shirts. They are gray with the logo and tag line on the right side if looking at the shirt. On the back, you will find the state of SC. These shirts are $25. You can purchase two bags for $40 or two shirts for $40, or, one bag and one shirt for $40. If you just want one or the other, the price is $25 each. We are hoping to get in some sweatshirts and hoodies and will let you know the cost of these once they are secured. All funds will go to the NFB of SC.

Shoes for a Cause

We will be collecting new and gently used shoes during this holiday season. Please drop off or send to the Federation Center. Children’s shoes will be given to Sole Stepping, an organization that provides shoes to children in need in schools. The lady that drives this nonprofit is and orientation and mobility instructor based in Lexington, SC. Adult shoes will be given to adults reentering the workforce. Shoes can be new or gently used; if you plan to donate socks, please insure the are new. There is a box a the Federation Center for these items. We will plan to take photos of the donations. You may also bring to the Rocky Bottom Christmas board retreat if you plan to attend. We will plan to present to Kara Jefferson during the week of December 20. This will be an ongoing give back project as children in schools always need shoes and please remember, children can wear adult shoes. My 11 year old son already wears a size nine in mens! We hope that you will remember shoes for a cause when you no longer need a pair of gently used shoes or when you see sales of socks or shoes! Thank you for helping give back to those in need!

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  in the Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button. Remember you must fill out the new form and the $10 state dues in order to complete the process for your 2022 dues!

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will call you back when I am available.

Also, just a reminder that dues are due by December 31, 2021. Also, if you sign up on the NFB national site, that is awesome, you will receive your welcome coin and packet, but please remember, you must also sign up on

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

as a member of our Palmetto affiliate. I want to thank you all for being willing to assist those who are not familiar with online registration or payment so that their membership can be completed.

Columbia Chapter Invites You!