[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1797

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 18 11:25:07 UTC 2021

January 18, 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

j <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com> hipp25 at sc.rr.com

803-960-9977

Our word of 2021 for NFB of SC is unity; unity is oneness; of accord; in
harmony with; together. I have seen unity in the NFB of SC, even before, we
chose our word for 2021. Now, we, as an affiliate, are being intentional
about our word. We are focusing on unity, acting on unity, following through
on being of one accord.

I announced to the affiliate two weeks ago about a blind gentleman who went
blind ten months ago, had no blindness skills, abused, family was addicted
to drugs and alcohol, and had no where to turn. You texted, you called, you
emailed me with suggestions, in-kind and monetary donations, willingness to
do whatever for this man to acquire what he needed. I spent hours on the
phone with adult protective services (APS) trying to help them understand
the severity of my request, my report. You called saying you had clothes,
shoes, socks, and I picked them up and delivered them to Kenneth. You called
with homemade food and I dropped it off to him. You called saying you had
hygiene items, I again picked them and took them to Kenneth. I brought food
from my kitchen on Derby Drive to him and even, meals from Lizard's Thicket
and other restaurants when I was too tired to cook. We were unified; we
demonstrated oneness, being on the same page, being of one accord. Our
mission was to help Kenneth survive so he could then thrive. At that time,
it was about his basic necessities; blindness skills was further down the
list. We came together as an affiliate to help a blind man in need. You
didn't need or want his life story; you just knew he was blind, he was a
need, and you reached out to help, to serve a fellow blind individual.

I am proud to call the national Federation of the Blind of South Carolina,
my home, my family! It is  struggles like Kenneth's story that illustrates
our unity, our passion, our compassion for those who we love, that we have
never met. Our goal was to provide for his immediate needs, and we, as the
NFB of SC, did that and more. Kenneth's story is not finished; we have
helped him turn another page, to write another chapter. He went to Lexington
Medical Center on Thursday, January 14 by ambulance because he was having
difficulty breathing due to his COPD and emphysema. At that time, I had been
going back and forth with Richland County DSS and Lexington County DSS  with
adult protective services. Finally, I received a call from Lexington County
DSS worker that a social worker at Lexington Medical Center had located a
place for Kenneth, a boarding home that would insure that he received his
medication regularly and more. I was elated! Kenneth would finally get the
help he desperately needs, and we, as the NFB of SC, can assist him with
blindness skills and being independent. Most of all, we will help Kenneth
live the life he wants, and not, what others think it should be or look
like. As I hung up the phone with the DSS worker, I thanked God for having a
perfect plan for Kenneth, and for showing us His plan at just the right
time! Thank you NFB of SC, for demonstrating love, hope, and determination
with our friend Kenneth, and thank you, my Federation family, for coming
together in unity, on one accord for a blind person in need!

              SC/Palmetto Connects

              We will have our next SC connects meeting on Thursday, January
21 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Please encourage your chapters, divisions, committees
to attend to learn about the latest happenings in the NFB of SC!

              Leadership Seminar:

              Our next leadership seminar will be April 10, 2021 at the
Federation Center. All presidents of divisions and chapters along with
Federation Center board members, Rocky Bottom board members and NFB of SC
board members are required to attend in-person or through zoom. Others who
are interested are welcome to attend via zoom or in-person as well.

              If you notify David Houck by April 5, 2021 whether you plan to
attend on zoom or in-person, your name will be entered into a $50 gift card
drawing. You must be present to win. There will be additional door prizes
throughout the seminar; only individuals who notify David by calling
803-254-3777 or emailing nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>  about
your zoom or in-person attendance will be entered into the $50 gift card
drawing.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the week of
January 4, 2021 and January 11 2021. All meetings are on the main Federation
ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Monday, January 18, Membership Committee, 7:00 p.m.

January 19, Diabetes Action Network Committee, 7:00 p.m.

January 20, Public Relations Committee, 8:00 p.m.

Thursday, January 21, Palmetto Connects, 5:00 p.m.

Thursday, January 21, Clarendon County Chapter, 8:00 p.m.

Friday, January 22, Federation Center Board Meeting, 12:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 23, Get Fit with Sports and Rec, 8:00 A.M.

Monday, January 25, Anderson Chapter Meeting, 6:00 p.m. Rocky Bottom ID
864-878-9090

Monday, January 25, Doing Our Fair Share Committee, 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 26, Merchants Division, 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 26, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 8:00 p.m.

Thursday, January 28, Social Media Committee, 7:30 p.m.

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Washington Seminar

The Washington Seminar will be virtual February 8-11, 2021. To learn about
this year's legislation, please join a zoom meeting (note, not on our NFB of
SC zoom room) on Tuesday, January 19 at 8:00 p.m. Let's get ready for
Washington Seminar 2021!

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/7567531013 <https://zoom.us/j/7567531013> Meeting ID: 756

753 1013 One tap mobile

+13017158592,,7567531013# US (Washington D.C) 16468769923,,7567531013#

+US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 756 753 1013

SC Commission for the Blind Board Meeting

The next Board Meeting of the SC Commission for the Blind will be February
16, 2021. Please mark your calendars and make every effort to attend to have
your voice heard. Zoom information will be in a later Positive Note closer
to the day. The board meeting for January has been canceled.

>From Shelley Coppel

Greetings from the Senior Division!

On January 21, 2021, at 2 p.m. eastern time, we will have our bi-monthly
Senior Division meeting.  Ruth Sager, President of the National Senior
division will be our guest.  For now, we will use our own free conference
call number which is:

605-475-2875; the access number: 4838754.  Come join us!

Shelley Coppel, President

              Support A Local Vender

              Would you like to support a local vender and the National
Federation of the Blind of SC (NFB of SC) at the same time? Well, here is
your opportunity to do both! When you purchase items from any of the below
venders, be sure to mention the NFB of SC in order for a percentage to be
donated to the NFB of SC.

              If you know of any venders that are willing to donate a
percentage of each purchase to the NFB of SC and have their information
listed on www.NFBofSC.org <http://www.NFBofSC.org> , have them contact
Jennifer Bazer and Steve Cook at the below Email addresses.

jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>

              To access a list of venders, please go to www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and then click on the support a local vender link.
Your support of the local vender and the NFB of SC is greatly appreciated!

              From Thom Spittle, Chairman, Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center of the Blind

Rocky Bottom is now taking reservations for 2021. Chapters and blind South
Carolinians can get away from things and stay at our facility for a small
reservation fee. For more information, or to book your stay, call Thom
Spittle at 803-331-3344 or email  rockybottominfo at gmail.com
<mailto:rockybottominfo at gmail.com> .

Fun Friday Nights

              Our  Name that Tune night on January 15, was a huge success.
We had 35 participants including members from NC, HI, NM, FL, SC and other
affiliates. We will be having a fun Friday night twice per month hosted by
the NFB of SC to include: audio described movie on the first Friday and an
interactive activity like Family Feud, Trivia, and more on the third Friday
of each month.. Our next fun Friday night will be Friday,  February 5, at
8:00 eastern with another audio described movie! All are welcome, come join
your Palmetto affiliate!

              From Steve Cook

              The upcoming weekly Zoom events can now be found on Newsline!
The article list the date, name of the event and the time. Also, listed is
the information you will need to call in using your phone. Thank you to MS.
Cummings for speaking out about a challenge she was having knowing when all
the zoom events took place. Since she does not use a computer and used
Newsline on her phone, we created a solution that will hopefully assist
others.

              Recipe Group via Email  From Steve Cook

              Do you have a favorite recipe that people always ask you for?
Do you enjoy learning about new recipes? Do you enjoying trying new food?
Here is your opportunity to all of the above an more! I have created a group
for people to Exchange Recipes and the discussion of recipes. Below is the
Email address for you to subscribe To this new group. Just a friendly
reminder to also put the word subscribe in the subject line.

RecipeExchange+subscribe at groups.io
<mailto:RecipeExchange+subscribe at groups.io>

              PAC Plan Challenge:

              We will be running a contest from December 5, 2020  through
May 31, 2021 for our NFB of SC affiliate. We are currently 13 and would like
to be in the top 10 or higher. One of our members would like to see us as an
affiliate contribute $1,500 to PAC each month between chapters, divisions,
individuals and our NFB of SC affiliate. If you join PAC, your name will be
entered into a drawing for a $100 visa gift card. If you increase your PAC
donation, your name will be entered into a different $100 visa gift card
drawing. I have a list of chapters, divisions, and individuals who are on
PAC at this time. On June 1, I will ask the national office for another list
which I will use to have the two drawings on June 1. There are many ways to
give. Below, is a little about PAC.

              Thank you for your interest in the National Federation of the
Blind's Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program. This program allows you
to contribute to the NFB through recurring monthly donations. These can be
direct withdrawals from a checking account or charges to a credit card.
Please contact pac at nfb.org <mailto:pac at nfb.org>  with any questions. Thank
you for your generosity.

              You can go to https://www.nfb.org/pac to complete the online
form.

              You may also call the national office at 410-659-9314
extension 2622 or email PAC at nfb.org <mailto:PAC at nfb.org>  with questions.

              There are several chapters and divisions within our state who
are on PAC and we are grateful for those contributions. There are
individuals who are on PAC and we are appreciative of those members who give
each month. As an affiliate, we are averaging $17.41 per person and less
than 10% of our members are on PAC. Let's see if we can increase those
percentages to over $20 per month and have at least 20% of our members on
PAC. I appreciate you considering to get on the PAC plan or increasing your
donation each month!

Nationally:

>From John Olson, 3-DPhotoWorks

Tactile Images and its parent company 3DPhotoWorks, are proud to announce
their partnership with Getty Images and the National Federation of the
Blind. Our goal is to make a vast variety of tactile image displays
available to the blind community. To help us, please join the movement and
provide your feedback! Please take a moment to fill out the survey at the
link below to vote for the people, places, and historical events that you'd
be most interested in seeing as traveling tactile exhibitions.

 <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tactileimages>
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tactileimages

Final Thought:

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com> .