[NFBofSC] Social Media Committee Meeting

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu Jan 28 10:49:54 UTC 2021

Hi Federation Family & Friends!

I would like to invite you to the Social Media Committee meeting of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC today (1/28/2021) at 7:30 PM Eastern.
We will be discussing the below information provided by Danielle McCann,
Social Media Coordinator for the National Federation of the Blind.

Social Media Guidelines

Social media is a great opportunity to promote the philosophy and brand of
the National Federation of the Blind. Below are guidelines to assist our
affiliates, divisions, and chapters. Please share with social media
committees and/or coordinators.

Our Brand - Values, Personality, and More

Our values and personality are characteristics that help make us the
welcoming and dynamic organization we are.  It's important to portray our
organization brand on all National Federation of the Blind social media
accounts. When creating and sharing content, consider if the post
corresponds with any of our personality traits:

*	Inspirational
*	Innovative
*	Inviting
*	Powerful

Review the National Federation of the Blind Brand Standards
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/brand-standards/nfbbrandstandards.h
tm>  for our values and additional aspects of our brand.

Accounts and Security

*	Affiliates, chapters, and divisions are permitted to have social
media accounts.
*	As chapters are a part of the state affiliate, chapter social media
accounts are considered part of the affiliate.
*	Leaders or designees should review social media to insure
appropriate content is being shared.
*	Where the platform or service permits, user accounts should be
connected to an individual rather than the organization. This helps insure
security, accountability, and organizational integrity.
*	When sharing passwords is required, a system should be in place to
keep passwords secure.

Content Requirements

*	Affiliate, chapter, or division feeds are for Federation content,
not for religious, political, or other content not directly related to the
Federation and your affiliate, chapter, or division's advocacy and
activities.
*	Proofread, with special attention being paid to the spelling of
names.
*	Refrain from demeaning, offensive, or profane language as well as
language that doesn't adhere to our philosophy. Please review our Code of
Conduct <https://nfb.org/code-conduct> .

Content Recommendations

*	Prewrite content when possible to assure accuracy and timeliness.
For example, if you know a representative from congress will be visiting
your chapter meeting, you might want to prewrite something that mentions
their username and thanks them for attending, with space in insert a comment
about their speech.
*	Alternate the type of content being posted. Examples: Promote an
event or program, request feedback on a topic, share news, and ask a
question.
*	Post at the minimum weekly. Note: Twitter is a platform that can
posted to several times a day.

Photos, Alt-Text, and Hashtags

*	Photos are a popular tool for engagement. Describe photos in the
post or using the alt text option.
*	Hashtags are a great way for people to connect on a common topic.
For example, some people may search #Braille to look for others posting
about Braille - ultimately finding us! Use common hashtags and feel free to
create one that is relevant when appropriate such as for an event.

Facebook

*	Photos: Alt-text option available; however, this must be done on a
computer. After uploading the photo, click on edit photo and select alt-text
option. It is not available on mobile as of January 2019. Where available,
group multiple photos of an event into albums.
*	Hashtags: Hashtags are not as prevalent on Facebook. Use sparingly
such as one or two that are relevant to the post. For example: while
promoting the BELL program, you may use #Braille in the post about BELL.

Twitter

*	Photos: Alt-text option available. Under account, go to settings,
accessibility, and turn on "compose image descriptions." A field for "add
description" will appear when composing a new tweet that contains an image.
*	Hashtags: It is recommended to not use more than three hashtags per
post. For example: While promoting the BELL program, you may use hashtags
such as #Braille #Literacy #BrailleisLiteracy

Instagram

*	Photos: Multiple photos can be compiled into one post. Alt-text is
available under the advanced settings options.
*	Hashtags: Use several hashtags related to the content. For example,
if you are promoting the BELL program here are some suggested hashtags.
#Braille #Literacy #Read #BlindKids #BlindKidsCan

Last but not least, have fun getting to know your social media community.
Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

If you have been designated by your affiliate president as the affiliate's
communications coordinator, please send your contact information to
<mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org> communicationsteam at nfb.org with a copy
to your affiliate president. This will allow us to send regular
communications to you and to facilitate collaboration across the
organization.

Have questions about social media? Please reach out to
<mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org> communicationsteam at nfb.org.

 <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

 <http://nfbofsc.org/?p=1985> Click here to access the membership form for
the National Federation of the Blind of SC

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

The National Federation of the Blind welcomes all blind people, parents of
blind children, blind students, those losing vision, and more. We are a
family of members and friends that knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you
want.

How to Join

Federation of the Blind is to attend a chapter or division meeting in your
local area. You can find your nearest chapter or division meeting by
reaching out to your state affiliate president. Membership in a chapter or
division will automatically grant you membership in your state affiliate and
the national organization.

 <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/join-us> Come join us!