[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1817

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 10:32:28 UTC 2021

June 7, , 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1817

803-960-9977

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

The first week of June is over. I cannot believe how time is flying! On June
18, my children, Cade and Kaylin will be finishing fifth and second grades
respectively. Cade will be in middle school in the fall and I am in for a
ride of my life, so I have been told! They are excited about their own camps
this summer. Cade will be attending his first week-long overnight camp as a
boy scout. They both will be participating in Camp in the City which
intertwines fun activities with Christian beliefs and values. Cade will
continue to play travel baseball and Kaylin will continue gymnastics during
the summer. I share this with you as a divorced mom with two sighted young
children, the most important role I will ever have is being a mom to Cade
and Kaylin because one day, they will leave the nest and fly on their own.
During the throws of Summer Teen, Children's Camp and state convention, I
thank you in advance for allowing me to lean on you, to delegate a little
more, to reach out and ask how you can help, to allow me some precious
opportunities with my children during the summer. Between June 21 when
summer teen begins and August 22 at noon when the state convention
concludes, I will be in a whirlwind of activities, as well as, giving much
deserved and needed time to my 8 and 11 year old children. Your support,
words of encouragement through your texts, calls and email messages will be
much appreciated. Your willingness to lend a helping hand will be welcomed.

We have so much going on in our affiliate! Successful Transitions is
preparing to launch into summer teen. Again this summer, we are partnering
with the SC Commission for the Blind to provide summer teen to 25 blind
teens. The fun begins June 21 when the program will be virtual for a week.
The next four weeks will be spent in Columbia, an the final week at Rocky
Bottom. Children's camp will be held June 26-July 1 for blind children 12
and younger. During the midst of all the summertime fun of summer teen and
children's camp, planning for the 65th annual state convention in Charleston
still continues.

Who is ready to launch into all of the summertime fun? Grab your gear of
service, positive attitude, initiative, and let's blast off!

FUN FACTS ABOUT JUNE

1.	June is the month with the longest daylight hours of the year in the
Northern Hemisphere, and conversely, June has the shortest daylight hours of
the year in the Southern Hemisphere.
2.	June's birthstone is the pearl, the Moonstone and the Alexandrite.
3.	The June birth flower is the Rose and the Honeysuckle.
4.	In 2009 June was the 662 most popular name for girls in the USA.
5.	June is derived from Juno, the goddess of marriage.
6.	In both common and leap years, no other month begins on the same day
of the week as June. Weird, isn't it?
7.	June is international men's month.
8.	June is accordion awareness month, as well as candy, dairy and
papaya month.

Vaccine Clinics

On Thursday, June 10 from 10:00 until 4:00, the NFB of SC will be hosting at
Johnson and Johnson vaccine clinic at the Federation Center. Vaccines will
be given by DHEC and any one 18 and older is welcome. Please RSVP to me at
803-960-9977 or email me at

Jennifer at successforlives.org <mailto:Jennifer at successforlives.org>

If you know individuals planning to come so that DHEC can plan accordingly.

There is also a J and J vaccine clinic in Ladson SC on June 24 from 9 until
5 for any one 18 and older. If you need additional information, the fliers
were sent to the listserv and you may contact David Houck at the Center for
more information at 803-254-3777.

Cooper River Bridge Run

Our Sports and Recreation Division will be coordinating the Cooper River
Bridge Run held the last Saturday in September. We plan to rent an Air BNB
the night before in the Charleston/MT. Pleasant area to prevent early
Saturday driving. After you have registered with Shree from the information
provided below, please contact me or David Rebocho to let us know if you
wish to stay in the Air BnB the night before. All individuals staying at the
Air BnB will need to pay their part in the rental of the house by August 15,
2021. Please remember you can get friends and family to sponsor you to run
or walk during this event to cover registration and housing costs.

Here is a message from our contact:

You can direct participants to Shree.  I'll include all the contact info at
the bottom of this email. Shree can help them sign our waiver and then she
can collect the information necessary to help them register.

After looking at the CRBR website, it appears that the registration fee goes
up as the date draws closer.  Until June 15 the registration fee is $50.
After that the fee jumps to $55, then it jumps again to $60 after August 15.

Shree Gobin

Volunteer Coordinator, Adaptive Expeditions

(317) 682-8222

Shree at AEOutdoors.org <mailto:Shree at AEOutdoors.org>

Ronald McDonald House Community Service Division, NFB

The below information is from the Community Service Division of the NFB.
They have reached out to me and all state affiliate presidents hoping all
will participate and I am hoping NFB of SC will take part in this valuable
project. Please let me know if you need my assistance in ay way with this
effort.

Every year the National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division
participates in a community service project during the exciting days of our
national convention.  Our 2021 partnership will benefit Ronald McDonald
House Charities Maryland.  This is a home away from home for seriously ill
children and their families.  There are two activities we are taking part in
for our community service project.

One. We are writing notes of encouragement to the families and children
staying at the Ronald McDonald House.  Please refrain from any religious
messaging.  If you braille your letters, please include a companion print
copy.  Additionally, please contact LaShawna Fant using the following email
address if you need your letter transcribed and printed:

fantl at bellsouth.net <mailto:fantl at bellsouth.net>
<mailto:fantl at bellsouth.net>

Second. We are providing comfort to the families and children by collecting
NEW blankets.  These cozy and warm throws should be child safe and new.

We will start the process of collecting these letters and blankets on May
1st, 2021 and the deadline for receiving items is June 13th, 2021.

All letters and blankets should be mailed to:

Jeanetta Price

P.O. Box 5613

Beaumont, Texas 77726

If you have any questions, you can also contact Jeanetta Price at:

Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com <mailto:price.jeanetta at gmail.com>
<mailto:price.jeanetta at gmail.com>

Phone: 409-344-1005

Thanks in advance for what you will do to help bring smiles, hope,
encouraging words, and warmth to Ronald McDonald House Charities Maryland!

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT!

National Federation of the Blind

Community Service Division

State Convention Transportation

We are looking to partner with Lion Vision Services (LVS) to work out
transportation for everyone interested in attending convention in person.
LVS is asking me to identify how many folks in each region will need
transportation. The only way I can accurately tell them is for you to let me
know. If the only reason you have not registered for the state convention is
due to lack of transportation or uncertainty about transportation, please
register for the convention in person and we will insure you have a ride.
Once you register and you need transportation, please text, call or email me
so I can let LVS know accurate numbers for each region. Those chapters with
vans, I am hopeful that you will offer folks a ride and partner with other
chapters to assist as well. Transportation will not be a deterrent. If you
are looking for a roommate for the state convention, please let me know so
that we can spread the word. Let's try to work together so that everyone who
wishes to attend the convention, can attend.

2021 Awards, Please get your Nominations in!

We are accepting nominations for employer of the year, educator of the year
and the Donald C Capps award. Nominations for Educator of the year will be
sent to Marty McKenzie, Employer of the Year to Steve Cook and the Donald C
Capps to David Houck.

The Donald C Capps will recognize a sighted or blind member in our affiliate
since we no longer distinguish between the two. A member is a member and the
most important role in our organization.

Please get your nominations in by August 2!

Please include why you feel this individual or business deserves these
awards.

New Palmetto Convention Grant Program!

The Palmetto Convention Grant Committee met and decided on the requirements
and process for applying for convention assistance for first-time in-person
state convention attendees. Three grants will be awarded in the amount of
$200 each.

To qualify for a Palmetto Convention Grant, one must be

*       A dues paying member in good standing,

*       Registered for the NFB of SC state convention,

*       Registered to stay at the Marriott

*       A first time in-person attendee

Requirements to Apply:

Submit a completed application electronically.

*       Submit a letter of recommendation from an NFB of SC chapter or
division president.

*       Submit an applicant  letter.

More details of what is required is included on the application and can be
found at the end of this PN. The deadline is July 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.

Sponsorship Letter for State Convention

If you need sponsorship letters sent out, please contact David Houck and he
will be happy to assist. Please do not forget about our contest. The chapter
or divisions who obtains the most sponsorship donation in dollar amount will
receive a percentage of the total donations raised. Our goal is $15,000.
Sponsorships will help defray costs of the convention for the affiliate.
Currently, the Columbia chapter has raised $700 and the At Large chapter has
raised $250.00.

NFB of SC Board Meeting June 14

The NFB of SC will have a board meeting on Monday night, June 14 at 8:00 PM
Eastern on the Federation zoom platform. We will continue to make decisions
about the state convention. I will assume that all board members will be in
attendance, unless, I hear from you!

Palmetto Connects

            We will have our next palmetto connects meeting on Thursday,
June 17, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time.  Please encourage your chapters,
divisions, committees to attend to learn about the latest happenings in the
NFB of SC! All are welcome from everywhere!

Scholarship Announcement 2021

On behalf of the NFB of SC Scholarship Committee, I would like to thank the
Federation Center of the Blind, the Sumter Chapter, the Columbia Chapter,
and the Greenville Chapter for their contributions to the 2021 Scholarship
Program.    No amount is too small.  Our students are the next generation of
Federation leaders, so let's show them that we stand with them in their
educational journey!!  Donations can be made online at www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org> , click donate, and put scholarship in the comment
field.  You can also send checks to the Federation center in Columbia.
Thank you. Shannon Cook, Scholarship Committee Chair.

Braille Literacy Committee

Starting in July, the Braille literacy committee will start a basic Braille
class. It is geared to those who need to learn the Braille alphabet, and
numbers.

If you are interested, please contact Shelley Coppel at 803-796-8662.

There are only 5 spaces available, so please don't delay.

Tracy Spittle

Chairman

Braille Literacy Committee

Submissions for the Positive Note:

If you have an item to include in the Positive Note about your chapter,
division, something that would interest the affiliate, please send to me via
email by Sunday night to include in the next day's PN.

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All
meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, June 7, 2021

We Care Committee 6:00 PM

Fund Raising 7:00 PM

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Get Fit evening session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM

Sumter Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Sports & Rec 6:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Columbia Chapter 6:15 PM

Lancaster Chapter 7:00 PM

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Get Fit session 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

Come learn about UEB with Tracy Spittle 9:00 AM

Technology Training 10:00 to 12:00

Student Division Social 8:00 PM

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Lee County Chapter 7:00 PM

Monday, June 14, 2021

Braille Literacy Committee 6:00 PM

State Board meeting 8:00 PM

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

NFB of SC 65th Annual State Convention!

I encourage you to register for our 65th annual state convention and attend
the way that best fits your comfort level at this time. We currently have 15
virtual registrants and 47 in-person registrants .Our goal is fifty
in-person participants and I am confident we can exceed that goal. We have
several contests listed below for those registering in-person or virtually
between June 1 and June 30 will be entered into a $50 drawing, and those
registering at the hotel in Charleston will be entered into a separate $50
drawing so please insure your name is in one of those drawings. Also, we
will be running a contest for the chapter or division who obtains the most
money in sponsorships. Let's work to exceed our $15,000 sponsorship goal to
defray the cost of the convention. If you will need transportation or a
roommate during the convention in North Charleston, please call/text me at
803-960-9977 or email me at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

This information will go on the listserv. The transportation requests will
help us in determining pick-up points around the state. I am hopeful that
chapters with vans will assist in the transportation process as well as,
others in the community.

Let's talk about our state convention in detail.

We will be having our sixty-fifth NFB of SC state convention August 19-22,
2021 at the North Charleston Marriott, 4770 Goer Drive, North Charleston,
SC, 29406. It is time for all of us to begin making our reservations and
registering for our hybrid convention. You may contact the hotel directly at
843-747-1900 and let them know you are registering for the NFB of SC state
convention to receive the discounted rates.

Room rates are as follows:

Singles and doubles, $115.00 per night.

Triples, $125.00 per night.

Quads, $135.00 per night.

You will also need to add sales tax which currently is 14%.

The NFB of SC block of rooms at the above rates will be good until July 29,
2021 until 5:00 PM Eastern time. After that date, the hotel will release the
rooms to the general public and we will not be guaranteed our group rate.

The NFB of SC board voted on Thursday, April 22, 2021 on the following rates
for convention registration. The prices include reception on Friday night,
boxed breakfast Saturday and Sunday, and banquet Saturday night. There will
not be a luncheon on Saturday afternoon.

Adults, $85.00 per person until July 15; $100.00 after this date.

College, graduate and doctoral students, $55 per person until July 15; $60
after this date.

Individuals 18 and younger, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this
date.

Virtual, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this date.

In order to have a hybrid event so that as many individuals can attend as
possible, we are charging a small registration fee for virtual attendance to
cover the cost of broadcasting from the Marriott; the hotel charges the NFB
of SC around $1,000 for audiovisual equipment and broadcasting.

If you plan to vote in this year's election for the NFB of SC, you will need
to be a member of the NFB of SC in good standing as of June 30, 2021 by
11:59 PM Eastern Standard time.

You may register using a paper registration form, complete and enclose
payment and send to the Federation Center, 2021 NFB of SC State Convention,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also register online and submit payment through Pay Pal or you may
send in your payment to the Center at the above address. Registration will
not be confirmed until payment has been received through the mail or Pay
Pal. If using Pay Pal, please remember to add 3% to your total to cover Pay
Pal's administration fees and so that NFB of SC receives the entire amount.

Let's have a large in-person and virtual turn-out for the NFB of SC
Sixty-Fifth state convention!

Register online at

2021 National Federation of the Blind of SC Sixty-Fifth State Convention
Registration Form

https://forms.gle/JUxemkCKcjiWdC827

You may obtain a printed  form from David Houck at the Federation Center.
Those letters and registration forms will be in the mail this week.

Questions about the convention, please call me at 803-960-9977 or email me
at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

Of South Carolina

2021 Palmetto Convention Grant

APPLICATION FORM

Application deadline: 11:59 p.m. on July 15, 2021.            Please read
the application rules and instructions carefully found at the end of this
form. In 2021, there will be three grants awarded valued at $200 each.

Qualifications:

To qualify for a Palmetto Convention Grant, the applicant must be

*       A dues paying member in good standing,

*       Registered for the NFB of SC state convention,

*       Registered to stay at the Marriott

*       A first time in-person attendee

Personal Information:

Name:

Address

Phone number: (Cell):                              (Other):

Email address:

What are your hobbies?

Do you feel that any of your hobbies are no longer attainable due to your
blindness?

If so, which ones?

Have you attended an NFB of SC chapter or division meeting during the past
year?  If so, which one?  How often?  If not, why?

Are you a current member of the NFB of SC, meaning that you have paid your
2021 state dues and attend meetings of a chapter or division?

What are some of the areas that you wish to know more about, whether they
are hobby-related or topics of interest?  Please put an "X at the beginning
of the line if interested.

Sports

Personal fitness

Talking Book Service

Newsline

Outdoor activities

Gardening/yard maintenance

House cleaning

Organization

Legal issues related to blindness

SSI/SSDI benefits

Employment

Assistive technology

Off the shelf technology products

SCCB/Older Blind Services

SCCB/Children's Services

SCCB/Vocational Rehabilitation Services

Other state organizations serving the blind

Orientation and mobility

Techniques for medication management

Health management

Braille

Parenting

Other - Please specify.

**This information will help us pair you with a convention guide to assist
you with learning how the convention is set up, answering any questions you
have about the convention or the NFB of SC in general, getting you in touch
with people who have shared interests, and to introduce you to other
Federation members.

Application must also include:

The following must accompany your application.  If any of the following is
not received by the application deadline, the application *will not* be
considered; therefore, it is advisable to confirm receipt of all components
of the application prior to the deadline):

1. Personal Letter from Applicant:  A separate statement (In other words,
not to be typed on this application.) in approximately 250 words.  Give your
reason for applying for a grant and how it will assist you to become a more
active and well-informed Federationist.  Include information about your
length of time as an NFB member, whether that has been in SC or other
states.  In preparing your personal letter, consider how you can most
effectively convey your best qualities.  Remember, your statement represents
you, so include your reasons for applying for the grant, and why it is
important to you to attend your first in-person state convention.

2. One letter of recommendation, from a chapter or division president of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC, explaining why they think you are
worthy to receive a grant this year, how long they have known you, and what
your status is as a chapter member (e.g. longtime member who is active, new
member, etc.). It is helpful to take a few minutes to talk with that member
about yourself, in case they are not familiar with you yet.  The more
specific and personal the recommendation, the better it represents you. If
you need the name of an NFB Member in your area, Contact David Houck at
(803) 254-3777 or email him at

nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>

          To apply for a Palmetto Convention Grant, complete this
application; it is strongly preferred that the form be completed
electronically.   This is because the committee members are all blind and
reading handwriting is difficult at best.  Then email the completed
application and attachments to:

Coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com> .

If any portion of the application is received after the deadline, July 15,
2021, it will be automatically disqualified.

Thank you for your interest in the Palmetto Convention Grant program.

Random Fact of the Week:

Apple Pie isn't actually American.

Apples originally come from Asia. The first pies were baked in Medieval
Europe. Even the concept of putting apples in pie traces back to a recipe
from England in 1381. Nevertheless, the phrase "
<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-apple-pie-linked-america-1809
63157/> as American as apple pie" turned up by 1924 and became a common
saying during the years of the Second World War.

Final Thought:

What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail? Robert H.
Schuller

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>