[NFBofSC] April 2021 Braille Monitor

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 31 13:05:34 UTC 2021

Hi Federation Family & Friends!

Below is the Braille Monitor for April 2021! Also, the editor of the Braille
Monitor Gary Wunder will be the special speaker at the Columbia Chapter
meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Thursday, April 8,
2021 at 6:15 PM eastern.

BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 64, No. 4
April 2021

Gary Wunder, Editor

                                Distributed by email, in inkprint, in
Braille, and on USB flash drive, by the

                                                                  NATIONAL
FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

Mark Riccobono, President

telephone: 410-659-9314

email address:  <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> nfb at nfb.org

                                                                  website
address:  <http://www.nfb.org> http://www.nfb.org

NFBnet.org:  <http://www.nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org

                                                            NFB-NEWSLINE®
information: 866-504-7300

Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

Watch and share our videos:  <http://YouTube.com/NationsBlind>
YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and orders
for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles for the
Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national office or
may be emailed to  <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation about forty dollars per year.
Members are invited, and nonmembers are requested, to cover the subscription
cost. Donations should be made payable to National Federation of the Blind
and sent to:

National Federation of the Blind

                                                                 200 East
Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND—IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

© 2021 by the National Federation of the Blind

                Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a
memory stick or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a
computer or a National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has
two slots—the familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable
carrying handle and a second slot located on the right side near the
headphone jack. This smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the
protective rubber pad covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will
insert only in one position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive
over and try again. (Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you
insert the thumb drive, the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.)
Once the thumb drive is inserted, the player buttons will function as usual
for reading digital materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the
player for cartridges, when you insert it again, reading should resume at
the point you stopped.

                You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb
drive to your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because
thumb drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return
in order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed
with the drive when you return the device.

Vol. 64, No.4
April 2021

Contents

The 2021 Convention is at
Hand........................................................................

by John Berggren

Visit the Presidential Suite at the 2021
Convention..................................................................

by Melissa Riccobono

Inclusion in the Theatre: Embrace Your Passion for
Performance...........................................................

by Elizabeth Rouse

Will He Still Be Here at
Nightfall?..................................................................

by Anonymous

Protecting Your
Family......................................................................

by Carlton Walker

Two Milestones Crossed at AIM Conference on Automated Nemeth Braille
Translation...........................

by Al Maneki

Getting into “Good
Trouble”....................................................................

by Deanna O’Brien

Raising Expectations: That’s What We Do in the National Federation of the
Blind....................................

by Curtis Chong

A Letter of Reflection and
Thanks......................................................................

by Lashawna Fant

Independence Market
Corner......................................................................

by Ellen Ringlein

Reconsidering Our Resistance to the Idea of Blind
Culture.....................................................................
.

by Justin Salisbury

Introducing the COVID Vaccine
Promo.......................................................................

Structured Discovery Cane Travel in Context: Arguments for Its Continued
Practice in Our Current Environment

by Ryan Carsey

Recipes.....................................................................

Monitor
Miniatures..................................................................

[PHOTO CAPTION: John Berggren]

The 2021 Convention is at Hand

by John Berggren

>From the Editor: John Berggren is the head of our Convention Organization
and Activities effort, and annually he provides readers with convention
information that points the way to registering, gives convention dates, and
starts the excitement. He does so again in what follows:

About this time last year, we made the difficult decision to hold our
National Federation of the Blind National Convention as a virtual event, the
first time in our eighty years of existence we did not gather together in
person. When President Riccobono announced during his December “Presidential
Release—Live” that we would again be meeting anywhere and everywhere for our
2021 annual event, Federationists knew that, while perhaps not our first
choice, the largest gathering of blind people anywhere in the world would
once again be an outstanding, not-to-be-missed event.

Last year we registered more than twice as many attendees as our largest
in-person convention and President Riccobono’s banquet address was heard by
more than 10,000 listeners. As we prepare for this July, we know that this
year’s event will be bigger and better than ever. We intend and expect to
register more attendees than last year and introduce the Federation family
to thousands of first-timers.

Make sure that you are a part of history. Register for convention online at
<https://nfb.org/registration> https://nfb.org/registration. You can also
indicate your interest in participating in the NOPBC annual conference and
the NFB career fair. There is always more information about all that will be
happening this year at  <https://nfb.org/convention>
https://nfb.org/convention with updates throughout the spring. Participants
can engage with us about convention on social media using the hashtag
#NFB21—start now by posting that you are registered for the NFB 2021
National Convention!

As with last year, attendees will be able to join in whether using Zoom on
your desktop computer, your mobile device, or by calling on your phone. In
the coming months, we will be sharing information about the CrowdCompass
platform which allows users to customize a personal agenda and access
convention sessions with a single click.

Mark your calendar for the following schedule this July:

*         Tuesday, July 6: Seminars & Specialized Meetings

*         Wednesday, July 7: Board Meeting & Resolutions

*         Thursday, July 8: Division Meetings & Opening Ceremony

*         Friday, July 9: Presidential Report & General Session

*         Saturday, July 10: Business Session & Banquet

New attendees should plan to attend the Rookie Roundup scheduled for
Tuesday, July 6, at 8:30 p.m. ET. Also, check out our convention
First-Timer’s Guide. Please plan to stop by the Presidential Suite to say
hello during convention.

The convention of the National Federation of the Blind is the supreme
authority of the organization. Active members who register for the
convention by May 31, 2021, and provide a valid telephone number to be used
for voting will be eligible to participate in votes during the business
meetings of the convention. Further details about the voting process as well
as opportunities to practice the voting process will be made available in
the future. If you have questions about the voting process, please send an
email to  <mailto:votingsupport at nfb.org> votingsupport at nfb.org.

The NFB is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, integrity, and respect.
Throughout the week, you will have amazing opportunities to network with
thousands of blind role models and leaders, attend presentations on a wide
variety of empowering topics, and view the latest in technology. To allow
all attendees the chance to benefit from all aspects of the convention, we
must provide a harassment-free environment for everyone. We appreciate your
assistance in cultivating an atmosphere in which participants from diverse
backgrounds can learn, network, and share with each other in a spirit of
mutual respect. Thank you for doing your part to contribute to our community
and the high expectations we strive to maintain.

There may not be a physical entrance to general session, but you can still
expect door prizes to be awarded throughout the week. We are now accepting
door prizes for this year’s convention, and that’s where you come in. Cash
donations make great prizes and are easy to distribute. Please make your
checks payable to National Federation of the Blind and write “Door Prizes”
in the memo. You should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind,
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP.
You can also send an email to  <mailto:prize at nfb.org> prize at nfb.org to let
us know you are sending a door prize and the full name of the organization
making the contribution.

We may not be able to greet people with a friendly handshake this July, but
there will still be plenty of opportunities to connect with old friends as
well as chances to make new ones. Join us to learn the latest in access
technology; participate in meetings of our special interest groups,
committees, and divisions; experience the most stimulating and provocative
program items of any meeting of the blind in the world. Do not miss being a
part of the 2021 National Convention. Register now. We’ll see you in July
everywhere and anywhere.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Melissa Riccobonoh]

Visit the Presidential Suite at the 2021 Convention

by Melissa Riccobono

>From the Editor: One of my favorite places to visit is always the
Presidential Suite. Cool people gravitate there. Snacks are there as well as
coffee and sometimes NFB Tea. How can it get any better? How we will make
our suite a remarkable place this year is the subject of this article, and
here is what our First Lady says:

The Presidential Suite has long been a favorite of President Riccobono and
me. We greatly enjoyed being able to open a suite to all convention
attendees—a place they can come to meet and talk with others, have questions
answered, and even eat a few cherries, M&Ms, or popcorn! Last year we
decided very late in the convention planning process that we should and
could host a virtual Presidential Suite. Those who visited seemed to enjoy
themselves, but we are sure many convention attendees did not take advantage
of the Presidential Suite because they had no idea what it was or what to
expect.

This year, since we are beginning the process of planning a virtual
convention much earlier, it is important to him and me to do a more thorough
job of communicating the purpose of the Presidential Suite, how it will be
run virtually, what to expect, and how you can help make the Presidential
Suite a welcoming and safe place for all!

The Presidential Suite should definitely be on your agenda at this year’s
convention. It is a place to talk with other convention attendees about a
variety of topics. It is a place you can go in order to get questions
answered. President Riccobono and I drop into the Presidential Suite when we
can, and President Riccobono also holds private meetings with as many people
who request appointments as possible.

This year the Presidential Suite will be open at the following times:
Tuesday, July 6, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Wednesday, July 7, from 9:00 a.m.
to 1:00 p.m. and from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.; Thursday, July 8, from 9:00 a.m. to
2:00 p.m. and from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.; Friday, July 9, from 8:00 to 9:45
a.m.; and Saturday, July 10, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Everyone who enters the Presidential Suite will be muted. This is to allow
conversations which may be taking place to continue without interruption. An
NFB staff member will greet and welcome you. If you want to be unmuted for
any reason, feel free to raise your hand, and someone will call on you.
Otherwise, if you’re just visiting the suite in order to talk with others,
you will be randomly assigned to a breakout room. You will receive an
invitation to the breakout room on your smartphone or computer. This you
will need to accept in order to be moved. If you are calling in on a
landline phone, you will be automatically transferred to the breakout room.
Please be patient because, depending on how busy the suite is at any given
time, it may take a few minutes for a staff member to be able to call on you
or even assign you to a breakout room.

Each breakout room will feature a leader in the National Federation of the
Blind. These leaders are volunteering their time in order to make visitors
to each breakout room feel welcome. They will answer questions about the
convention, the National Federation of the Blind, and other blindness
resources. They will also gladly participate in any other discussions which
might occur. These breakout rooms are meant to be friendly, safe,
informational, yet informal. They are meant to be places where convention
attendees from around the country and world can interact and connect with
one another.

We did hear from some convention attendees last year that they enjoyed
participating in breakout rooms where discussions of specific topics were
taking place. As a result of this feedback, this year we are also hoping to
have breakout rooms which will offer specific discussion topics at specific
times—please stay tuned for more information! If you have a discussion topic
you would like to suggest, please email Melissa Riccobono at
<mailto:melissa at actionfund.org> melissa at actionfund.org.

As a visitor to the Presidential Suite, please do your part to keep this a
friendly, welcoming, and safe place for all. As is true in all convention
events, the Code of Conduct will need to be followed in the Presidential
Suite. Please keep conversations respectful to all participants. Don’t be
afraid to chime into a conversation. You have a lot to offer, even if you
may be new to the convention and feel as if you have a lot to learn. You
have still had experiences in your life which may be extremely relevant to a
conversation and very helpful to others. At the same time, please be mindful
that we want all people in the breakout room to have a chance to be heard,
so feel free to ask if someone has anything to add, particularly if you know
there is someone in the breakout room who hasn’t said anything for a while.

If you have any concerns about your experience in the Presidential Suite,
please leave the breakout room immediately. Then log back into the main
Presidential Suite link, raise your hand, and let the staff member who calls
on you know you have a concern you need to share. The staff member will work
with you to come up with the best way to share your concern privately and
quickly.

As stated above, the Presidential Suite is also a place where President
Riccobono meets with individuals and groups who request appointments. If you
would like to request an appointment to meet with him privately or in a
group, please email Beth Braun at  <mailto:bbraun at nfb.org> bbraun at nfb.org.
Make sure to put “Presidential Suite” in the subject line of your message.
In your email, please give Beth your name, the state you are from, your
telephone number, and a brief reason for the purpose of your appointment.
Beth will begin accepting appointment requests on June 1. She will not begin
to respond to requests until July 1 or a bit later, since she will need to
make sure of President Riccobono’s schedule in order to give you a good date
and time for your appointment. If you want to schedule an appointment but do
not have access to email, please call Beth at 410-659-9314, Extension 2369
beginning on June 1. If you cannot reach Beth, please leave her a message,
and she will get back to you.

If you have other questions about the Presidential Suite, please send an
email to  <mailto:melissa at actionfund.org> melissa at actionfund.org, or call
410-659-9314, extension 2466. President Riccobono and I look forward to your
participation in the Presidential Suite this year. We hope to speak with you
in the suite, and we also hope we will be in person next year so we can
offer you refreshments as well as fellowship.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Elizabeth Rouse]

Inclusion in the Theatre: Embrace Your Passion for Performance

by Elizabeth Rouse

>From the Editor: Elizabeth is originally from the Midwest, where she
graduated from Central College, a Division Three school located in Pella,
Iowa, in May of 2020. There she earned degrees in English and Theatre. While
college is where Elizabeth embraced her love for the stage in all its forms,
serving as an actor, director, light/sound designer, set constructor, and
stage manager for various productions, she has been an avid theatre goer for
her entire life, having seen over thirty Broadway, regional, and amateur
productions to date. While the COVID-19 pandemic has taken away some of her
opportunities to interact with the arts, she is looking forward to sitting
in an audience and working backstage again soon.

Elizabeth is currently a student at the Louisiana Center for the Blind and
serves as the president of the Iowa Association of Blind Students and
treasurer of the National Association of Blind Students. Here is her
article:

“Go up to the board and draw an image from last night’s reading assignment.”

The professor’s instruction seemed simple enough, but I felt my palms start
to sweat as I stood from my chair. As the only freshman in an upper-level
theatre history course, I wasn’t yet confident in my understanding of the
material, let alone my artistic abilities to recreate it in front of my
peers. Nevertheless, I walked to the board, picked up a piece of chalk, and
began drawing out an image from my favorite scene of the Greek myths I’d
barely finished reading. I paid little attention to my peers as they
completed the same task, figuring I wouldn’t be able to see their drawings
anyway. When I finished, I returned to my seat to wait. Before my knees so
much as bent an inch, my professor stopped me in my tracks.

“Now, I’d like each of you to gather around one another’s work and describe,
in detail, the images you drew so that we all understand how you saw the
scenes unfolding.”

She didn’t target me or call me out for being blind. She simply took an
assignment and incorporated visual descriptions into her curriculum. With
one simple statement she changed the trajectory of my college career. From
that day on, theatre became a part of me.

During my four years of study at Central College, I played many roles (pun
intended) in the theatre department. I was tasked with stage managing,
lighting and sound design, and even directing among other things. But one of
the most memorable adventures for me was venturing onto the stage as an
actor. I was fortunate enough to be cast in four main-stage productions, the
first of which took place during my sophomore year and the latter three
during my senior year. Through trial and error, I learned valuable lessons
about how to access my scripts in Braille, how to navigate the stage with
and without my cane, and how to make my interactions and gestures authentic
when performing. While each of these lessons took time to learn, I’d like to
share the most valuable takeaways that affect the actor and the spectator
alike.

First, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty! My first step when
familiarizing myself with a set was to go in and explore. I’d contact my
school’s technical director and find a time where he and I could venture
onto the set so that I knew where steps, doors, and scenery were located.
After we finished our walk-through, he’d answer any questions I still had.
Then, when things were added or modified in any way, we’d do it again. In
this instance, communication was the key to obtaining information. The same
rule can apply for backstage participators and spectators; you’ll never know
what sensory options are available to you until you ask.

Next, learn to laugh at yourself! Theatre is filled with not-so-comfortable
conversations. I can’t count the number of times I had to ask if my facial
expression was appropriate for a given scene or admit that I needed an extra
hand getting off the stage when the lights went dark. The more comfortable
you are with the situation, the better you can convey your needs to those
around you.

Additionally, don’t be afraid to wholeheartedly devote yourself to the
experience! As a member of the audience, I find myself laughing uproariously
and bawling into my hands without a care in the world about what those
around me are thinking about me because theatre affects us each uniquely. If
a friend and I see a show together, I may find it hilarious while my friend
finds the plot depressingly sad. It’s okay to form your own thoughts and
opinions about what you interpret from a certain script or performance. The
people onstage live for audience reactions, and you may just be the one
person in the audience who picks up on a subtle joke or pop culture
reference they’ve been dying to convey.

Finally, understand that theatre is a means of give-and-take! Actors don’t
parade around a stage for their own benefit. They love the art so much that
they practice day in and day out to put on a performance that means
something to them. If you find yourself passionate about theatre, find a way
to become involved. Audition for your dream role. Take tickets at your local
theatre. Write a play. Make art mean something to you in whatever way you
know how.

Simon McBurney once said, “Theatre is the art form of the present: it exists
only in the present, and then it’s gone.” I invite you to meet me onstage
and not let this beautiful art pass you by.

----------

Will He Still Be Here at Nightfall?

by Anonymous

>From the Editor: The following piece appears without a byline. This is
because the author does not want her child to be the target of retaliation,
nor does she want to be on the receiving end of an agency’s anger. Often the
problem with anonymous submissions is credibility, but I and a number of
other Federationists know this family, can vouch for their truthfulness and
integrity, and are happy to call them friends and colleagues in the
movement. We readily acknowledge that children with autism often manifest
behaviors that confuse and frustrate parents, educators, and outside
observers. As a consequence, they are more likely to be subject to both
physical abuse in all settings and harsh disciplinary tactics such as
restraint and seclusion at school. At the same time, their behaviors also
frequently lead to misguided or uninformed reports to child protective
services by observers who do not understand that they are observing symptoms
of the child’s disability or who question strategies developed over time by
families and their teams of doctors and therapists. This combination of
greater appropriate and inappropriate reporting of families whose children
have autism emphasizes the critical need for additional training in the
clinical features of disabilities and disability civil rights and
protections within the child welfare system.

All of this being said, other things must be said as well. We are not
opposed to the function of government oversight when it comes to protecting
vulnerable populations. We also know the risk in giving any agency or worker
within an agency the power to remove a child from his or her parents. With
both of these issues in mind, here is what a family recently visited by
Children’s Protective Services has to say:

“My name is Casey. I’m from child protective services. I’m at your house in
response to a concern about your kiddo.”

The adrenaline rush is instantaneous. Your mind starts racing. What is this
about? Who called them? Why?

You won’t get the answers to the last two questions. You will get some
information about the nature of the complaint, but the visit or call will be
a surprise. They want to catch you off guard so they can see what’s really
going on.

There is a red-haired lady at the house in her car on the phone. Is she
taking a call about someone else? Is she doing a background check on you?
Why is she here? Do you have to let her into your house? What if you don’t?
What will they do next? Is she here to take your child? Why?

She finally gets out of the car. She explains that they got a call
expressing concern for your child’s welfare. There is concern for his
hygiene, his hair, and his teeth. He is blind, and the house is so cluttered
he can’t safely get around.

Now it dawns on you. The new babysitter called in this morning by text. She
said she had a personal issue and couldn’t make it today. She called. You
say so. The CPS caseworker is smooth about this. “I can’t say, but families
can usually figure it out.”

She had only been with you for two weeks and yesterday didn’t go well. She
decided to help your son brush his teeth. You don’t know how much toothpaste
she used, but, after he gagged, the toothpaste stain on his shirt was the
size of an adult’s hand. Then he threw up his breakfast. He had cheese and
toast. She directed him to the bathroom sink, then tried to wash it down the
drain. That didn’t go well either. The drain clogged, and one of you had to
go out and get some drain cleaner.

The day got better, but not by much. Virtual first grade is not for the
faint of heart. Going to school on Microsoft Teams when you are legally
blind is
pointless. Maybe high school or college students can navigate the
platform. Maybe the school can provide the materials in large print or
Braille. But they don’t. You’ve been pushing for a more appropriate
educational approach to pandemic schooling for your legally blind child
since September.

Actually, now you wonder. Was it the school? You are on the verge of filing
state or federal civil rights complaints for violations of the special
education law guaranteeing all children a free and appropriate public
education. You’ve been trying desperately to avoid having to file a formal
legal complaint, because you know that these often take years to resolve,
and if the complaint is that your first grader is not learning to read,
justice delayed is justice denied.

The red-haired lady is in your living room. She’s got lots of questions.
Invasive questions. Who lives here? Where do you eat dinner? Where do you
sleep?

You let the seven-year-old give the house tour. He can get around the house
fine. He shows her. There are books and papers around. You’ve been doing
virtual school and work from home for nearly a year. But there is a
difference between cluttered and unhygienic, between stacks of schoolbooks
and papers and a fire hazard.

You explain about the hair and teeth, though you feel exposed—not naked,
more like skinned alive. Every nerve in your body feels like it might
explode. She wouldn’t take him over this, would she? Why did she call?

He has autism, you explain. Yes, he hates having baths, having his hair
brushed, his teeth brushed, his fingernails clipped. All of it. These are
textbook symptoms. You have worked with his doctors and his therapists for
years on this. You do the best you can.

He gets therapy every day: applied behavioral analysis, occupational
therapy, speech therapy, physical therapy, music therapy, and social skills
classes. Surely you explained all this to the new babysitter. Even if you
didn’t, some of the therapies are on Zoom. She was there. Did she not wonder
why he was doing them?

Why did she do this? You have a theory about this. She was frustrated. She
had been a nanny for years, and your kid didn’t respond to her usual bag of
tricks. You had warned her about that. He has autism. You offered to have
his therapists give her some strategies, but she declined.

Most days he will cooperate, but virtual school is tough when you are
seven—two to six hours a day of Zoom or Teams meetings—actually it seems
inhumane. Many workplaces have rules against this for adults.

The cleaning lady has another theory: The job was more work than she
expected. “I think she just thought her job was to make sure the house
doesn’t burn down.” She wanted to quit but wanted the referral agency to
give her another assignment, something easier. She had been bringing her
homework with her and hadn’t had a chance to get anything done.

Once the CPS lady is in your house, she wants to see everything: the
kitchen, the stove, the fridge, the bathroom. She is monitoring your
housekeeping. She wants to know when bedtime is. How do you get him to
sleep? What does the morning routine look like? Is he attending virtual
school regularly?

Your skin is crawling. But you know that the fastest way to get her out of
your life is to answer her questions. You don’t want your kid to see that
you’re scared or angry or confused. Actually, you hope he can’t figure out
why she’s here at all. Unless this goes horribly wrong, you are never going
to tell him that she was here to decide whether to take him away.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Carlton Walker]

Protecting Your Family

by Carlton Walker

>From the Editor: Carlton Walker is an advocate, teacher, mother of a blind
child, and an attorney. Here is a list of recommendations she offers for
those being visited by a worker from children’s protective services. Please
note her disclaimer at the end.

Offices charged with child protection have a lot of discretion in
investigations. They have a lower legal threshold for proof than other legal
processes. But there are a few things you can do if an official from child
protection comes to speak to you about your child or children:

*         Stay calm, and try not to get defensive. This is much easier said
than done.

*         Ask the official what the concern or concerns are, and listen
carefully to the answers. It is fine to ask the official to repeat the
answers so that you can fully understand what is being said.

*         Ask for reasonable accommodations, such as written materials in
Braille, accessible electronic form, or enlarged print. Don’t feel pressured
into proceeding without them.

*         Breathe. Breathe again.

You will likely feel a range of emotions. Give yourself permission to feel
what you feel.

You do not need to allow child protection officials into your home unless
they have a warrant to enter. Ask them to produce the warrant before
allowing them into your home. If you cannot read the document, ask for
reasonable accommodations (such as a third-party you can trust) to read the
documents and share with you what is written.

Ask the official what complaints have been made against you. If the person
is vague, push for details.

Don’t be in a rush. While it is very stressful to be in this situation,
rushing can hurt you. Give yourself permission to take the time to figure
out what you want to do and what you don’t want to do.

You do not need to answer any questions without an attorney. Consider not
answering any questions until you have consulted an attorney (which can be
court-appointed, based on your state’s rules and your income and resources).

Don’t hesitate to seek legal help. Things happen quickly, and the stakes are
very high. Take the time you need to get the help you and your family
deserve.

If you want to speak without consulting a lawyer, consider what you can
share. If you choose to answer questions, do so as calmly as you can. Try to
answer only what is asked and try not to elaborate. It is natural to want to
explain your experiences, but accurate, short answers can be better.

If needed, find supportive documentation from your child’s teachers,
doctors, and therapists.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended or offered as legal advice. These
materials have been prepared for educational and information purposes only.
They are not legal advice or legal opinions on any specific matters.
Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does
not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship between this site, the
author(s), or the publisher, and you, or any other user. Internet
subscribers and online readers should not act, or fail to act, upon this
information without seeking professional counsel. No person should act or
fail to act on any legal matter based on the contents of this site. Unless
expressly stated otherwise, no document herein should be assumed to be
produced by an attorney licensed in your state.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Al Maneki]

Two Milestones Crossed at AIM Conference on Automated Nemeth Braille
Translation

by Al Maneki

>From the Editor: Al Maneki is a tireless advocate for blind people who want
to work in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. He knows that
it takes a good deal of initiative and desire to excel in these fields, and
he also knows it takes good textual materials, ones that come as close to
giving the blind reader what his or her colleague using print gets. Dr.
Maneki isn’t content simply to observe that the problem of converting
complicated mathematics into Braille is difficult. He is determined to do
something about it, and he knows the work cannot be done alone. So part of
his work as a pioneer in this field of using digital technology to bring
meaningful mathematical reading materials to the blind has been to gather
smart, committed colleagues to work with him and the organized blind
movement of the National Federation of the Blind. Here is what Al has to say
about the latest workshop and progress made on creating a system to
automatically convert mathematics represented in print into Braille:

Author’s note: I want to begin this article by acknowledging the valuable
assistance of fellow team member Karen Herstein, who verified most of the
facts and citations given here. I want to thank all of the participants of
the AIM workshop on Automated Nemeth Braille Translation for reviewing the
first draft and making suggestions and corrections. In writing this article,
I relied heavily on the workshop summary that was prepared by Alexei
Kolesnikov. As the author of this article, I assume full responsibility for
any errors, misrepresentations, and oversights. Readers who wish to contact
me may do so by email at  <mailto:apmaneki at gmail.com> apmaneki at gmail.com. –
Al Maneki

Introduction

In 2019 the Automated Nemeth Translation Team (ANTT) applied to hold a
workshop at the American Institute of Mathematics (AIM). AIM hosts workshops
in all areas of mathematics, including topics in mathematics education and
accessibility in mathematics. AIM, one of six institutes sponsored by the
National Science Foundation, fully funds all costs associated with the
workshop. The goal of our team’s workshop was to bring together software
developers, mathematicians, and blind consumers to advance our expertise in
automated Nemeth translation of mathematics text. Workshop proposals were
evaluated by an external advisory committee and are funded on a competitive
basis. Fortunately, our proposal was selected based on merit and the
qualifications of our team members. This workshop was held from August
3-August 7, 2020.

The purpose of the workshop was to extend the availability of mathematics
textbooks in Braille to students and professionals who are visually
impaired. The goal was to produce mathematical texts accurately,
inexpensively, and in a timely manner by developing a user-friendly software
workflow using open-source software to automatically, or nearly
automatically, translate mathematical texts ready for embossing. Volker
Sorge further suggests that, “An important goal of our work is also to
provide the means of translating content into Nemeth to blind users
directly, which will give them greater independence from publishers or
transcribers. It will also empower blind students and researchers to get
real time access to material given to them by their professors and peers.”

This was the first AIM workshop to run virtually after the closure
necessitated by COVID-19. The organizers are grateful to AIM staff for
thinking through the logistics of such meetings. Due to difference in time
zones (the participants on the West Coast of the United States were
separated by nine time zones from the participants in Europe), the daily
meeting period of the workshop was somewhat reduced compared to the usual
AIM workshop.

The workshop participants were selected from a list of respondents to our
open invitation that was included in the public announcement of the
selection of our workshop proposal. They came from various parts of the US
and Europe and brought a wide variety of skills, backgrounds, and insights
to the solution of this problem. What was most important was that none of us
held particular biases about the difficulties and challenges of this
problem. We came to the workshop with open minds and positive attitudes.
Although this workshop did not completely solve the problem of automated
Nemeth translation, we can cite two major accomplishments:

1.      The development of a framework and methodology for producing
automated properly scaled tactile graphics with properly placed Braille
labels.

2.      The identification of shortcomings in the Nemeth Braille code. Some
symbols and conventions currently used in mathematics do not have Nemeth
equivalents.

A gentle warning: As you read this article please do not be discouraged or
turned off by unfamiliar terms such as: LaTeX, TikZ, SVG and MathML. A
familiarity with these terms is not critical to grasp the significance of
this work. I have included these terms here to convey the level of technical
details that were needed to solve the problems of automated Nemeth
translation. Frankly, many of the technical details involved here are also
beyond my comprehension.

The support and commitment we have received from the general mathematics
community is unprecedented. No other assistive technology efforts to aid
blind people have had this degree of external support. At the same time, let
us not forget that we, the blind community, were able to harness and use
this support to our advantage because we were ready when the opportunity
presented itself. For a long time, we have been articulating the need for
automated Nemeth translation. We laid the groundwork for external
cooperative efforts when this help was forthcoming. In short, our
preparation could not have taken place without the leadership and direction
of the National Federation of the Blind and the Jernigan Institute.

Before reviewing these two milestones, we need to introduce everyone to the
participants and to review the subject matter of the workshop itself.

The Participants

A total of seventeen persons took part in this workshop. Six participants
were the members of the original ANTT. They were Rob Beezer, Karen Herstein,
Alexei Kolesnikov, Al Maneki, Martha Siegel and Volker Sorge. These team
members were introduced to you in my article which appeared in the May 2020
issue of this magazine.

 <about:blank>
https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm20/bm2005/bm200507.htm

Brief educational and professional backgrounds of the remaining participants
are listed below:

Michael Cantino, accessibility specialist, Portland Community College,
Portland, Oregon (BS in Liberal Studies from Portland State University):
"I've been transcribing Braille for about 8 years. In 2014, I received
certification in literary Braille transcription through the Library of
Congress. I began transcribing Nemeth regularly in 2014 under the guidance
of a large staff of Teachers of the Visually Impaired. I eventually enrolled
in and completed NFB's Nemeth certification course. I was stopped short of
completing the final Nemeth certification manuscript when I was presented
with an exciting opportunity; I was asked to join an NSF research project
studying the use of interactive 3D printed models for visually impaired
learners. This project merged 3D printed graphics with an augmented reality
app to provide audio and Braille annotations.

I am passionate about the creation and use of tactile graphics. I began
creating tactile graphics around 2013 and soon began leveraging existing
technologies to make complex graphics that are clear and engaging. I
regularly produce traditional embossed graphics, but I've also done quite a
bit of work with 3D printers, vinyl cutters, laser cutters, and other
advanced production methods.

I've been transcribing in the UEB literary code since 2015. I started my
Braille transcription journey with music Braille, and I spent several years
teaching Braille music basics and supporting students in interpreting their
scores.”

Davide Cervone, professor of mathematics, Union College, Schenectady, NY
(PhD in Mathematics from Brown University): “My interest is through my work
on MathJax, for which I am the primary author. MathJax has always had math
accessibility as an important priority, and when Volker Sorge joined the
MathJax project, that allowed us to realize that priority in a significant
way. So my interest in the subject is through that avenue.”

John Gardner, formerly professor of physics, Oregon State University,
Corvallis, Oregon (PhD, Physics, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign): He became totally blind after an eye operation in 1988.
He continues to teach; however, he could no longer evaluate the data from
experiments. This difficulty prompted him to establish a university team to
research methods for better accessibility to graphical information. In 1996
his team developed a new high resolution embossing technology and patented
it. He was unable to persuade any Braille embosser manufacturer to license
this technology. They told him that there was no need for blind people to
access graphics. He did not believe them, so he and his wife founded
ViewPlus to produce embossers. In the year 2000 the first product reached
the market, the ViewPlus Tiger Advantage embosser, built on a dot matrix
printer.

Chris Hughes, staff tutor, Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering &
Mathematics, Open University, Milton Keynes, England (PhD in Applied Math
from University of Reading, UK):

“I was interested in the workshop in my role as accessibility lead for maths
& stats at The Open University. My reasons for participating were to gain
and develop understanding on converting mathematical content into Braille.”

Alex Jordan, professor of mathematics, Portland Community College, Portland,
Oregon (Ph.D. in Mathematics from University of Oregon): He is a mathematics
instructor at Portland Community College, 2009 to present. He is a
contributor to PreTeXt development. He is an author/coauthor/editor for
several PreTeXt books. He brings an eye for accessibility issues to several
projects, including PreTeXt, WeBWorK (an open online homework platform), and
miscellaneous issues as they arise in his department.

Mitch Keller, assistant professor of mathematics, Morningside College in
Sioux City, Iowa (PhD from the Georgia Institute of Technology): He began
writing the open-source text Applied Combinatorics with his PhD advisor,
William T. Trotter. Applied Combinatorics has been a PreTeXt book since
August 2016. Keller is also an editor for three other mathematics texts
written in PreTeXt and the co-author of a chapter of another PreTeXt
mathematics text. “My interest in the AIM workshop stems from a desire to
further enhance the quality of open-source math textbooks, particularly
those authored in PreTeXt. The PreTeXt HTML is already designed to be
accessible to screenreader users, but we know that Braille and tactile
graphics can provide a better reading and learning experience for blind
readers.”

Dr. Peter Krautzberger is a mathematician by training working as an
independent consultant and developer in Bonn, Germany, working primarily to
help academic publishers improve their content conversion workflows for STEM
content (Ph.D. [Dr. rer. nat.]) in Mathematics, Freie Universität Berlin).

After leaving mathematical research, Peter managed the MathJax Consortium
from 2012 to 2017, and he currently leads the work on the American
Mathematical Society's HTML platform, including "MathViewer" for journal
articles and EPUB production for textbooks and monographs.

Peter is also an invited expert with the W3C Accessible Rich Internet
Applications Working Group (ARIA WG).

Oscar Levin, associate professor of mathematics, University of Northern
Colorado, Greeley, Colorado (PhD in Mathematics from the University of
Connecticut): “My interests in the workshop came from being an author of an
open source textbook in PreTeXt (Discrete Mathematics: An Open Introduction)
and as an occasional contributor to PreTeXt development.”

Michael Reynolds, associate professor of mathematics, Indian River State
College, Stuart, FL. (PhD in Mathematics Education from University of
Central Florida): “I was one of the new folks to this project, so I did not
have very much to contribute to the sessions. But I was enthralled the whole
time and am eager to get more involved in these efforts. I do not know much
about PreTeXt, MathML, TikZ Liblious, and many of the other technical
computer processes discussed in the workshop, but I am very interested in
the process of making all mathematics materials accessible to all learners
and all readers.

My research areas are the history of mathematics, mathematics education
(particularly math anxiety), and graph theory. I've had no particular
experience with Braille or blind learners that led me to participate in the
AIM workshop. I just found it fascinating, both because of the complexity of
the processes involved and because of the important issues of equity and
accessibility.”

Richard Scalzo, US government, retired (PhD in Applied Mathematics,
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois): He was very active in reading
mathematics textbooks and research papers to blind students in the mid 60’s
at Illinois Institute of Technology. He has spent his entire career working
for the US government and nonprofit defense institutions, working in the
area of software development and systems acquisitions.

Richard’s interest in automated Nemeth translation and the production of
automated tactile graphics was further stimulated in 2010 when he and Al
Maneki began to read and discuss Foundations of Geometry by Gerard Venema.
To get around the problem of presenting Venema’s diagrams to Al, Karen
Herstein was asked to reproduce the diagrams in Venema’s book in tactile
form. She first traced the diagrams with a needlepoint tracing wheel. These
diagrams had to be constructed in “reverse order” since the raised lines
appear on the reverse side of the paper. Braille labels were then affixed in
their proper positions. This “exercise” brought back all the painful
memories of comprehending very complex mathematical diagrams, to which
Richard and Al groaned in agony—there must be a better way!

As we were planning this workshop, Martha Siegel encouraged us to invite
persons who did not necessarily have relevant backgrounds or expertise in
Nemeth translation but who could view these problems with fresh insights and
contribute with truly original solutions. “We don’t want to be talking to
ourselves in this workshop,” Siegel cautioned. Considering the backgrounds
of these ten individuals, we have successfully met Siegel’s advice.

It is worth noting that none of the workshop participants were intimidated
by Braille. They did not view Braille as a mysterious system of writing that
was difficult to learn and inconvenient to use, criticisms that we have
often heard from many professionals in work with the blind.

Ignoring the need for sensitizing the fingers to recognize Braille
characters, they took Braille for what it really is, just another
“programming language” with its well-defined rules for constructing
meaningful sequences of six dot characters.

Workshop Activities

AIM workshops generally consist of lectures to the entire group to provide
relevant background information and smaller breakout sessions in which
participants may focus on specific problem areas. Martha Siegel advised the
lecturers to start with the most basic information since most of the
participants were not familiar with PreTeXt or automated Nemeth translation.
We will summarize the general lectures and the work of the breakout
sessions:

Background Lectures

Rob Beezer introduced us to his PreTeXt authoring tool and pointed out its
advantages over the many versions of LaTeX currently in use. PreTeXt is
ideally suited for Braille translation when used in combination with
Liblouis and Volker Sorge’s Speech Rule Engine (SRE).

John Gardner stressed the importance of audio tactile graphics since very
few blind people are competent Braille readers. His company, ViewPlus, has
developed IVEO, audio-tactile graphics software in which enriched SVG files
can be embossed, then placed on a touchscreen. After simple calibrations,
the associated text is read by a screen reader as the user touches the
various graphic elements.

Volker Sorge presented an overview of his SRE that was initially built to
produce spoken math output through a screen reader. The input to SRE is the
math content of MathJax, an open-source JavaScript display engine for use
with LaTeX, MathML, and AsciiMath notations. Instead of writing a separate
rule engine for Nemeth output, Sorge decided to incorporate Nemeth output
into his SRE.

Alexei Kolesnikov spoke to us about his work on automatically scaling print
diagrams to fit on an individual Braille page. Proportional scaling of an
entire diagram may be sufficient to provide the blind reader with
comprehensible tactile graphics in the simpler cases. This turned out to be
true for the embossed diagrams I examined before and during the workshop.
However, for more complex diagrams, more sophisticated scaling and
positioning of the labels will be needed.

Susan Osterhaus, a statewide mathematics consultant, and a long-time math
teacher at the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, was a guest
lecturer. She serves on the Braille Authority of North America’s (BANA)
Nemeth Code Technical Committee and Tactile Graphics Technical Committee.
She spoke to us about forthcoming updates to the Nemeth Braille code that
BANA plans to make. She invited us to submit our recommendations to BANA.

Jonathan Godfrey, an invited lecturer, received his PhD in Statistics from
Massey University, New Zealand. He created and maintains the Braille R
statistical package. The R package is a complete and powerful set of general
statistical routines that can be used in many applications. His discussion
served as the basis for developing navigation-enriched diagrams for files
produced by other scientific software.

Breakout Sessions

Our breakout sessions did not focus only on tactile graphics and Nemeth
translation. There was considerable interest in producing audio-described
graphics as proposed by John Gardner and providing advice to authors on
creating easily enlargeable print graphic images into tactile form.

Tactile Graphics: Producing raised versions of print graphs and diagrams is
a difficult problem because tactile legibility is different from the visual
one. A way to automatically convert diagrams written in the LaTeX package
TikZ (pronounced tik-zee) to a PDF file with Braille labels was known before
the workshop began. However, due to the shortcomings found in this
conversion and the inherent limitations of the PDF file format, we knew that
we needed to turn to a different file structure.

The participants outlined a way to convert to a more versatile SVG file
format with Braille labels from a TikZ file. A sample SVG file was tested on
an embosser, and its output was satisfactory. However, shortcomings were
also identified for the conversion of other SVG files. This group continues
its work on SVG file conversion.

Audio Description of Graphics: The capability to produce an SVG file with
Braille labels from a TikZ file was further enhanced during this workshop
when we developed the ability to “navigate” through an SVG file with a
screen reader. The navigation can allow a user interacting with an image on
a computer screen to move between different components of the image. This
technology can further be integrated with audio-tactile graphics software,
IVEO.

Chemistry Diagram Demonstration: Accessible chemistry diagrams developed by
Progressive Accessibility Solutions were demonstrated in another breakout
session. Enriched SVG files allow the user to navigate around the skeletal
formulas of molecules, from group level to individual atoms and bonds
between them. Similar technology is available for navigating complex
mathematics formulas.

Advice for Authors: A group of participants met to discuss the advice that
could be given to authors to design graphics that would be more
comprehensible to blind readers upon initial translation. Conceivably
properly designed graphics should have a simpler appearance and be more
appealing and comprehensible to the sighted reader as well. This group has
also compiled a list of previously developed documents (including those
produced by Benetech and BANA) containing graphics guidelines. The advice
for mathematical graphics includes both general design principles, as well
as specifics, such as spacing guidelines for graphics elements. An
understanding of these guidelines should help us to develop more effective
programming rules to produce more comprehensible tactile graphics.

Nemeth Braille Code: On our work with the SRE we found that there are no
Nemeth equivalents for some symbols in common use today. For example, there
are no Nemeth code representations for blackboard-bold and calligraphic
fonts, or the equals sign with vertical bar on left, the hyphen with
vertical bar on left, and the letter x with vertical bar on right. There are
commonly used mathematical symbols today that simply did not exist in 1972,
the last time revisions were made to the Nemeth Braille code. Nemeth rules
describe how to transcribe complicated fractions and large matrices. Similar
guidelines are needed for other 2-dimensional mathematical expressions that
frequently occur in undergraduate texts: commutative diagrams and logical
inference rules.

Workshop Perspectives

There is much cause for joy when we reflect on the many accomplishments of
this workshop. Primarily, we got away from the mindset that automated Nemeth
Braille translation and producing comprehensible tactile diagrams were the
most difficult problems. This idea has been so ingrained in our thinking
that it simply stymied us from making any progress at all. However, among
the new participants, there was never the thought that these problems were
unsolvable.

>From my years of academic and government problem solving, I have learned
that solutions are difficult to come by if we first decide that a problem is
“hard.” When examining a problem, it is always best to take a first step
toward a solution to see if a fresh perspective or further insights can be
gained.

During our first session, as we introduced ourselves, both Martha Siegel and
Alexei Kolesnikov admitted that Braille translation turned out to be more
difficult than they originally thought. Siegel and Kolesnikov are
experienced researchers in their own right, and they never let negativity
creep into their modes of thinking. All of the workshop participants
followed their lead of thinking positively.

We did not solve all of the problems related to automated translation.
However, the two milestones mentioned in the introduction deserve further
elaboration:

1.      We developed a framework and methodology for producing
comprehensible tactile graphics. The ability to produce enlarged graphics
with Braille labels will soon be solved. But this ability alone is not
sufficient for producing comprehensible tactile graphics for more
complicated print diagrams. What is needed is an enlargement in which more
space is allotted to the most critical portions of a diagram, i.e.,
“spreading out” the more intricate parts to increase comprehensibility. In
some cases, this may mean that some portions of a diagram may have to be
“discarded” to simplify it. Then these elements may be reintroduced in a
later diagram. How this is to be automated is not yet completely understood.
Perhaps with experience, and by examining the guidelines of the Benetech and
BANA documents, we may be able to develop program coding rules to accomplish
these tasks. Karen Herstein suggested that one possibility is to consider
the strategy employed in designing street maps in which the more detailed
sections are enlarged to show the complex street patterns more clearly.

In his review of the first draft of this article, Richard Scalzo makes a
further suggestion: “Even with fully automated translation from text formats
there will be maintenance issues. These issues include incorporating new
text and graphics formats and extending Nemeth Braille to include new
symbols. The question of automating the labeling of graphics with Braille is
one of the long-term issues. Enabling the automated labeling of graphics
files may require modification of standards for graphics file formats. So,
at some point in the future the project should investigate gaining support
for enabling the automated labeling of graphics files.”

2.      We were presented with a list of all of the symbols and notations
used in the abstract algebra textbook by Thomas Judson and in the calculus
textbook, which is being used at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. From
these two lists, we identified the symbols which have no Nemeth equivalents.
These have already been submitted to BANA for inclusion in the forthcoming
revisions to the Nemeth code.

Our work of automatically translating the Judson textbook remains largely
unfinished. I am hopeful that we will soon be able to make considerable
progress on it because of the progress that the workshop has made on tactile
graphics and because of the enhancements to the Nemeth Braille code. Rob
Beezer will also be writing an article for this publication on PreTeXt in
which he will describe the success he has had in producing a Braille
Calculus textbook for a college student in Nebraska.

Although this workshop did not necessarily have audio tactile graphics under
its purview, it seemed rather natural for us to take it up. We must accept
the fact that we live in a multi-media world, and we should seize every
advantage that multi-media offers us. At this time, however, I should point
out that in so many mathematical instances, there is no substitute for
Braille. Often in a mathematical diagram, points are labeled with letters or
numbers. The best an audio description can give you is the label for that
point; however, what is important about a diagram may be the paths and
connections between points. The reader examines these possible paths and,
for whatever reason, decides which paths are most significant.

There is a classic example in high school geometry. Starting from an
arbitrary triangle, one constructs a set of line segments relating to this
triangle. In this way, we define a set of nine points. By examining these
nine points, i.e., running one’s fingers from one point to the next, one may
conclude that these nine points lie on a circle. In my case, lacking
sufficient geometric intuition, the circularity of these nine points was
explained to me. The circle formed by these points is known as the Feuerbach
nine-point circle. For a description, see the article
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/nine-point_circle>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/nine-point_circle.

We did not investigate the use of 3D printers to construct tactile diagrams.
There simply was not sufficient time for this. I believe that the advantage
of using 3D printers is their ability to produce solid raised lines as well
as dotted ones. Also, they offer a greater variety of textured surfaces.

With regard to automated Nemeth translation, where do we stand today? I
think that in the very near future, given a textbook written in PreTeXt, it
will be possible to produce separate BRF files for the text itself and SVG
files for the diagrams. These diagrams may be of limited use because they
will not be “smartly” scaled. Having these diagrams in tactile form may be
better than having no diagrams at all.

Conclusion

I am intrigued by Volker Sorge’s suggestion that our automated Nemeth
translation software should provide blind persons with the means of
translating their own content into Nemeth. This means that blind users will
have to acquire the additional skill of writing PreTeXt code. This is not an
unreasonable demand. It also suggests the possible need for a reverse Nemeth
to PreTeXt translator.

The automated translation to Nemeth Braille, including tactile diagrams, is
a huge problem. While we have made a start at this workshop, this work is by
no means complete. I think that once we have arrived at a solution, we will
find certain aspects of that solution to be unsatisfactory. This will cause
us to make improvements and refinements, leading to better solutions. The
persons involved in this work will not be limited to those who took part in
this workshop. There is still enormous opportunity and need for others to
help in this effort. Anyone who is interested may contact me at
apmaneki at gmail.com <mailto:apmaneki at gmail.com> . We can make all of the
workshop documents available to you.

Additional help needed! If you are:

*         A blind college student planning to take a math course,

*         A college-level math instructor anticipating a blind student in
one of your courses, or

•    A staff member of a disabled students services office assisting a blind
student with a math course.

Please contact me at  <about:blank> apmaneki at gmail.com. While we might not
currently be able to render all of the assistance you need, we would like to
discuss your situation in order to understand future needs for our Nemeth
translation software.

For learning and studying mathematics and the other STEM subjects, the
future has never been brighter. My modest accomplishments to the
mathematical sciences will pale in comparison to what future blind scholars
and scientists may achieve. So be it!

----------

Getting into “Good Trouble”

by Deanna O’Brien

>From the Editor: This presentation was presented at the convention of the
2020 National Federation of the Blind of New Hampshire state convention. Its
author is now the president of the affiliate. She and her husband have two
grown children, and talking with her is a real delight. Here is what she
said to the convention:

"Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our
struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the
struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in
good trouble, necessary trouble." —John Lewis, a tweet from June 2018.

Good afternoon! It is my great privilege to have this opportunity to address
the 2020 New Hampshire state convention of the National Federation of the
Blind. I have been asked to speak about getting into some “good trouble.”
This phrase can be attributed to the late John Lewis, Democratic
Representative from Georgia. He was a civil rights icon for decades and was
considered the “conscience of the Congress.” He worked tirelessly advocating
for the civil rights of all.

“I appeal to all of you to get into this great revolution that is sweeping
this nation. Get in and stay in the streets of every city, every village and
hamlet of this nation until true freedom comes, until the revolution of 1776
is complete." This was also from John Lewis at the 1963 March on Washington.

John Lewis passed away on July 17, 2020, during the national convention of
the NFB. When I zoomed in to the Saturday morning session, what a great
surprise! The NFB had put together a video using archival footage of John
Lewis addressing its members. I was transfixed by his message. He spoke of
“getting into trouble, good trouble, necessary trouble.” Never before had
someone put into words what I have felt all my life. This was a defining
moment for me at this convention, which, by the way, was my first national
convention. The fire was kindled, and it burned red hot.

What can I do with this newfound energy? How can I best serve the blind
community and promote the central principles of the NFB—equality, security,
and opportunity?  Where did I truly begin to advocate for myself? What was
the spark in my life? I believe it can be traced in part to this event I'm
about to describe.

I can remember this day most vividly. It was fifty-seven years ago, almost
to the month. I was twelve years old. It was a Thanksgiving afternoon, and a
group of us decided to go the neighborhood school to play on the playground.
We made it to the school, but an unfenced construction site beckoned us in.
The building would eventually become the new cafeteria but, for now, it was
an enticing place to play.

We began to explore and, of course, found a way to climb up into the
building. Up and up we went, climbing onto scaffolding and pulling ourselves
up using beams and poles. All of the sighted kids made it to the top and,
with much effort, so did I. It must be noted that I am totally blind, but I
was totally not going to miss this experience.

I arrived at the top, and it was AWESOME! Kids were running around
everywhere. Chaos reigned supreme! I could hear the openness and feel the
cool air. My brother advised me not to walk around without assistance
because there were wide gaps between the planks, and it was a long way down.

Now kids were jumping from the building into some sand below. Soon I was
left alone on the top of the building. My heart began to race with fear, but
my brain said “You know you are going to jump.” I could hear kids below, and
my brother said to step forward to the edge. I did so.

As I stood there, it was getting colder, and I could feel the sun setting
low on my face. It got quiet, and I knew I had to make a decision. My
brother Steve said, “Deanna, listen!” He scraped his shoe on the ground
below. “Do you hear that? That is gravel. Don’t jump there.” Then he moved
and said “Do you hear this?” I heard nothing. “This is sand. Jump here. Jump
to my voice!”

"You are a light. You are the light. Never let anyone—any person or any
force—dampen, dim or diminish your light. Study the path of others to make
your way easier and more abundant." —John Lewis, from his 2017 memoir,
"Across That Bridge: A Vision for Change and the Future of America."

I knew what I was going to do, and my feet left the platform. I fell through
the cool late afternoon air. It was exhilarating! It was magnificent! Then I
landed softly in the sand to the cheers of all my friends. I stood up for
myself. I was a part of, rather than apart from. I was included, not
excluded. What a day!

The struggle is real. Many challenges can be found. I, too, have faced my
share of disappointments and setbacks. When I was a small child, a
youngster’s father removed me from a piece of play equipment; he said I must
go home because I was blind, and he might be sued if I got hurt. When I was
thirteen, a mother told my mother that children like me should be “locked in
the backyard where they can’t be seen.” A professor at Arizona State
University ended my elementary education degree because I could not teach
handwriting on the chalkboard. A vocational rehabilitation counsellor
tormented me unrelentingly during final exams by asking for detailed
information about the fiery crash which took my mother’s life. I can think
of so many more examples of prejudice, blatant cruelty, and disrespect.

But there is a way. “We have been too quiet for too long. There comes a time
when you have to say something. You have to make a little noise. You have to
move your feet. This is the time.” —John Lewis, at a 2016 House sit-in
following the Pulse shooting in Orlando. I did get my degree from Arizona
State University, not in teaching but, rather, in Latin American History,
where I graduated Phi Beta Kappa.

Someone else is making some noise and getting into “good trouble” in New
Hampshire. Jody Ianuzzi has taken on the problem in Keene where some cab
drivers are not allowing the blind to travel with their guide dogs. “When
you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral
obligation to say something. To do something. Our children and their
children will ask us, ‘What did you do? What did you say?’
” —John Lewis,
December 2019 remarks in the House on impeachment of President Donald Trump.

We at this convention know that much work lies ahead. The NFB fights the
fight every day, advocating for equality, security and opportunity for all
blind people. Apathy is an impediment to progress. I am asking all of the
blind across this great state to get involved. Please become part of the
work that needs to be done. I ask this convention to make some noise, some
necessary noise. It is time to step forward and get in some “good trouble,”
creating better opportunities so that all blind people everywhere can live
their best lives. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to
thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and
some style." —Maya Angelou. Me too!

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Curtis Chong]

Raising Expectations: That’s What We Do in the National Federation of the
Blind

by Curtis Chong

>From the Editor: Curtis Chong is a man blessed with many talents. He is most
known for his technical knowledge, but those who dig deeper understand that
he runs on principles, philosophy, and striking the right balance between
taking and giving back. In this article, the man we turn to for tech shows
that there is an art in giving and an art in receiving and being grateful to
participate in both. Here is what he says:

In the National Federation of the Blind, we say that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future. We say that every day we
raise the expectations of blind people and that low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. This notion is featured on
the home page of the National Federation of the Blind, and, as I see it, the
idea of raising expectations which inspire blind people to do more than what
the general society expects of them is central to what we do in the
Federation. We raise expectations when we help a newly-blind person to gain
confidence while learning to travel independently. We raise expectations
when we help someone with alternative nonvisual techniques used to mark an
oven or a stove. We raise expectations when we teach something new about
technology which increases one’s ability to get at online sources of
information. We raise expectations when we demonstrate the power of
collective action we gain by working together in the National Federation of
the Blind.

I have been active in the Federation since I was a teenager in high school
and have worked with hundreds of blind people in different states to raise
their expectations about themselves and help them to understand that their
ability to live and thrive does not have to be hampered because they happen
to be blind. More often than not, I am the person who is encouraging
somebody else to expect more from life. Oftentimes, I am the person who
pushes individuals to learn more about how to use the computer or smartphone
they have by building their confidence in their ability to learn to use
something new. But recently, the tables were turned, and somebody else in
the Federation raised my own personal expectations about what I could do
with a new piece of technology I had just acquired.

A few weeks ago, the demons of technology possessed me, and I decided to buy
myself an iPhone 12 mini. Yes, I know that the iPhone SE 2020 would have
been a far less expensive road to travel, but I had this idea that I wanted
to learn how to operate an iPhone with Face ID and no Home button—hoping
that I would have an opportunity to use my practical experience to pass this
knowledge on to other people. Hence, I chose the iPhone 12 mini (since the
larger screen is of little value to me, a totally blind person).

When the iPhone 10 was released in the fall of 2017, Apple implemented two
major design changes. The Home Button (easily located by touch) was removed,
and facial recognition (Face ID) replaced Touch ID (fingerprint
recognition). Through podcasts, blogs, and a little personal experience, I
knew intellectually that there were gestures that would take you to the Home
Screen or invoke the App Switcher; and I understood that the Face ID feature
would work for blind users. But on the first day I received the iPhone, when
I started working with Face ID, I was (more often than not) not recognized
and thus forced to enter my pass code instead. Figuring this to be a no-win
situation, I simply turned the Face ID feature off.

Now comes the part about raising expectations—in this case, mine. While
conversing with one of my Federation friends over the phone, I casually
mentioned that I had just acquired a new iPhone, and I expressed some
frustration that I could not get the Face ID feature to work.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that this Federation friend
is a person I have known for more than twenty years, and while he is adept
with technology, he sometimes calls me (and others) for help when his
technology does not behave as he wants it to.

After I finished recounting my problems with Face ID, this Federation friend
of mine said that he had been using this feature for a few years and that,
at the beginning, he had experienced the same challenges as I had. He
advised me to keep working at it and not to give up. He said that after a
while, my use of Face ID would become automatic and that my muscle memory
would do the trick. Honestly, I felt both chastised and inspired. I felt
chastised because I, a person who should know better, have often advised new
iPhone users to keep trying a difficult operation until it works; I should
have listened to my own advice. I felt inspired because I figured that if my
friend had beaten Face ID, I should certainly be able to. I was truly
grateful that my friend felt confident enough in his own abilities to offer
the advice and encouragement I needed to keep plugging away at Face ID.

Each and every one of us in the National Federation of the Blind has the
power and the ability to help somebody else to expect more of him or
herself. In fact, I believe that it is essential for all of us to inspire
our fellow Federationists to expect more than what society generally expects
of the blind. As a rule, people in our society with whom we come into
contact think of the blind as either exceptionally amazing or more than a
little incompetent. Rarely are we perceived as what we are: ordinary average
human beings—neither exceptionally blessed nor exceptionally cursed—who,
just like everybody else, are trying to live the best lives we can. We who
have chosen to give of our time, energy, and resources to help the organized
blind movement to succeed through the National Federation of the Blind are,
through what we do, raising expectations every day—in ourselves, in other
blind people, and in our society.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Lashawna Fant]

A Letter of Reflection and Thanks

by Lashawna Fant

April 1, 2021

Dear National Federation of the Blind,

You are strong! You are resilient! You have a purpose for being an
organization. NFB, you still must continue to change what it means to be
blind.

Yes, you have seen hard times and faced countless challenges. Yes, you have
made mistakes. Yes, you have been stretched for growth to sprout. However,
you will continue to adapt and be a healing refuge of hope for blind people.

NFB, just as a reminder, I joined you in 2011. For over six years, people
asked me to join, but it was something I did not want to do. Finally, in the
fall of 2011, I became a member. My goal was to see what I could do to help
blind people. One way to explain this journey is to say, “It has been an
interesting ride!”

Since becoming a member, I have noticed tremendous growth within myself. I
am a more confident blind person. I am blessed to have met numerous blind
people from across the world. On the strength of you, I have learned about
various resources and opportunities. What’s more, is that I know that
blindness is not what defines me or my future.

NFB, continue to shine and flex your strength in the years and decades to
come. Every now and then, pause to glance back at the individuals who have
benefited and the advancements which have occurred. NFB, when you fall, get
back up, make the appropriate adjustments, and keep marching forward. Your
reason for existing will continue to benefit blind people from across this
globe.

Your Federation family member,

Lashawna Fant, Mississippi

----------

You Can Make a Difference

Blind children, students, and adults are making powerful strides in
education and leadership every day across the United States. For more than
eighty years, the National Federation of the Blind has worked to transform
the dreams of hundreds of thousands of blind people into reality. With
support from individuals like you, we continue to provide powerful programs
and critical resources for decades to come. We sincerely hope you will plan
to be a part of our enduring movement by including the National Federation
of the Blind in your charitable giving and in your estate planning. It is
easier than you think.

With your help, the NFB will continue to:

*         Give blind children the gift of literacy through Braille.

*         Promote independent travel by providing free, long white canes to
blind people in need.

*         Develop dynamic educational projects and programs to show blind
youth that science and math careers are within their reach.

*         Deliver hundreds of accessible newspapers and magazines to provide
blind people the essential information necessary to be actively involved in
their communities.

*         Offer aids and appliances that help seniors losing vision maintain
their independence.

Plan to Leave a Legacy

The National Federation of the Blind legacy society, our Dream Makers
Circle, honors and recognizes the generosity and vision of members and
special friends of the National Federation of the Blind who have chosen to
leave a legacy through a will or other planned giving option. You can join
the Dream Makers Circle in a myriad of ways.

Fixed Sum of Assets

You can specify that a fixed sum of your assets or property goes to the
National Federation of the Blind in your will, trust, pension, IRA, life
insurance policy, brokerage account, or other accounts.

Percentage of Assets

You can specify that a percentage of your assets or property goes to the
National Federation of the Blind in your will, trust, pension, IRA, life
insurance policy, brokerage account, or other accounts.

Payable on Death (POD) Account

You can name the National Federation of the Blind as the beneficiary on a
Payable on Death (POD) account through your bank. You can turn any checking
or savings account into a POD account. This is one of the simplest ways to
leave a legacy. The account is totally in your control during your lifetime,
and you can change the beneficiary or percentage at any time with ease.

Will or Trust

If you do decide to create or revise your will, consider the National
Federation of the Blind as a partial beneficiary.

Visit https://nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give/planned-giving or call
410-659-9314, extension 2422, for more information.

Together with love, hope, determination, and your support, we will continue
to transform dreams into reality.

Ways to Contribute Now

Since the start of 2019, the NFB:

*         Distributed over eight thousand canes to blind people across the
United States, empowering them to travel safely and independently throughout
their communities.

*         Delivered audio newspaper and magazine services to 124,022
subscribers, providing free access to over five hundred local, national, and
international publications.

*         Gave over 900 Braille-writing slates and styluses free of charge
to blind users.

*         Transformed our Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning®
Academies into in-home editions offered to blind youth throughout the United
States.

Just imagine what we’ll do next year, and, with your help, what can be
accomplished for years to come. Below are just a few of the many diverse,
tax-deductible ways you can lend your support to the National Federation of
the Blind.

Vehicle Donation Program

The NFB accepts donated vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats,
motorcycles, or recreational vehicles. Just call 855-659-9314 toll-free, and
a representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation. We can also
answer any questions you have.

General Donation

General donations help support the ongoing programs of the NFB and the work
to help blind people live the lives they want. You can call 410-659-9314 and
elect option 4 to donate by phone. Donate online with a credit card or
through the mail with check or money order. Visit
<https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give>
https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give for more information.

Pre-Authorized Contribution

Through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program, supporters sustain
the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind by making recurring
monthly donations by direct withdrawal of funds from a checking account or a
charge to a credit card. To enroll, call 410-659-9314, extension 2213, or
got to  <https://www.nfb.org/pac> https://www.nfb.org/pac and fill out our
PAC Donation Form online.

If you have questions about giving, please send an email to
<mailto:outreach at nfb.org> outreach at nfb.org or call 410-659-9314, extension
2422.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ellen Ringlein]

Independence Market Corner

by Ellen Ringlein

As a service to our members and the general public, the National Federation
of the Blind operates a blindness products store known as the Independence
Market, which sells mostly low-tech items, designed to enhance the every-day
independence of blind individuals. We will be offering products for sale
along with our Product of the Month on a monthly basis.

Product of the Month

Kenneth Jernigan Map of the United States:
This colorful take-apart topographical puzzle map makes it fun and
interesting to learn about various geographical features of the United
States. Each state is a puzzle piece. The major rivers, mountain chains,
state capitals, and latitude and longitude lines are all indicated
tactilely. Underneath the puzzle pieces the map shows the boundaries of all
fifty states with Braille state abbreviations. The map measures 32-1/2 × 18
inches and includes a Braille and a print reference guide which give facts
about each state. This is a great teaching tool for kids, and those of you
who appreciate tactile maps will enjoy exploring the United States. The map
costs $250.00 plus shipping and handling. (Our map is significantly less
expensive than a similar one from another source.)

The following items are on close-out specials:

Writing guides offer a low-tech solution to keeping your lines straight when
writing on paper.

Plastic Letter Writing Guide: $1.00

Use this template to write on 8-1/2 × 11-inch paper. The guide features
cutouts to write on thirteen lines. For best results secure the guide to
your sheet with paper clips at each corner to prevent slippage. You can also
keep track of the line you are writing on by marking it with a paper clip.

Plastic Envelope Writing Guide: $1.00
Use this template to address your envelopes. It features three cutouts in
the top left corner for the "from" address and three cutouts toward the
bottom right for the "to" address. The guide measures 4-1/4 × 7-3/4 inches.
When using the guide with a business-size envelope, line it up with the top
left corner of the envelope for the “from” address and with the bottom right
corner for the “to” address.

2x Illuminated Magnifier With 6x Insert and Folding Handle: $5.00
This magnifier offers two levels of magnification. The rectangular 2x lens
measures 2 × 4 inches, while the round 6x insert is 7/8 inch in diameter.
The sliding light switch is at the top of the 4-inch-long folding handle,
where it attaches to the magnifier. When folded up the magnifier measures 3
× 5 inches. It uses two AAA batteries (included).

More Products:

Our NFB rigid carbon fiber long white cane is still on sale for $15.00.
Originally this cane was available in sizes ranging from 49 to 69 inches.
Please call for availability of specific sizes and styles.

We also still have the SOLITAIRE AND FOX & GEESE two-game combo for $10.00.
Solitaire begins with thirty-two orange (ten-sided) pegs, occupying the
holes in the cross-shaped play area. The object is to have one game piece
left in the middle, after having borne off the other pieces by hopping over
them. Fox and Geese (for two players) is played with fifteen orange pegs as
the geese and one brown (six-sided) peg as the fox. The geese try to corner
the fox, while the fox must capture the geese. Braille and print directions
are included.

For more information about the products available from the Independence
Market, contact us by email at  <mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org>
independencemarket at nfb.org or by phone at 410-659-9314, extension 2216,
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Our staff
will be happy to assist.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Justin Salisbury]

Reconsidering Our Resistance to the Idea of Blind Culture

by Justin Salisbury

>From the Editor: Some folks can be counted on to deliver the article that
makes readers say, “What is he saying? How do I feel about that?” If we gave
an award to the author who most frequently writes this kind of piece, no
doubt it would be Justin. Sometimes his articles generate letters of
affirmation. Sometimes they generate letters and even articles saying, “I
don’t think that’s the way it is. Let me explain it to you.” So here is
another article that should make us think about our concept of ourselves,
our movement, and the blind people who have not yet joined with us. After
you’ve read and thought about what he says, please write us and let’s
continue the discussion:

In our movement, we have often resisted the idea that there is such a thing
as blind culture. I am certain that there will be people reading this
article to whom I personally have parroted the talking points about how
there is no such thing as blind culture. I am now challenging my own views
on this topic and am doing it publicly in order to invite others to do it
with me. Some of you who read this article will come up with ways to build
upon what I have said, and I want that.

In “The Nature of Independence,” Dr. Jernigan said, “Unless you make
advances over what we have done, you will, in a very real sense, fail to
keep faith with those who have gone before you and those who will follow. In
this context I would expect and hope that some of you will become better
travelers (and, perhaps, better philosophers and teachers) than I, and if
you do, I will take joy in it.” By questioning our prevailing stance on
blind culture and its consequences for some of our movement’s goals in our
contemporary landscape, I am attempting to keep the faith.

Most of the talking points that we have come to use in the Federation have
been based on the lived experiences of blind white heterosexual cisgender
Christian men with no additional disabilities rather than the lived
experiences of all blind people. In other words, we’ve gotten good at
explaining what it’s like to be white heterosexual cisgender Christian men
whose only disability is blindness, but we are now starting to pay more
attention to explain what it’s like to be blind and belong to some other
minority. This may have influenced our resistance to the term “blind
culture” over the years.

I am a mixed-race person, but I can pass for white in many situations. This
occasionally lands me in conversations where white people think they are
talking to a purely white audience, so I get the opportunity and burden of
hearing some pretty candid renditions of white fear and white fragility.
Please allow me to explain the following idea before reacting to it: Many
White Americans have developed a discomfort with the notion of culture. I am
not accusing anyone who has learned this discomfort with the idea of culture
to mean that someone is intentionally racist, misogynist, or anything else,
but I do believe that there are threads of prejudice that have snuck into
the fabric of the outlook of people from privileged majorities. The same is
true for oppressed minorities, but the effects are somewhat different.
Everyone who has contact with other human beings is vulnerable to prejudice,
but we all have to do our best to introspect, reflect, and address the ways
that prejudice affects our emotions, thoughts, words, and actions. Sometimes
I believe that White Americans feel left out in cultural discussions, as if
White Americans do not have a culture, even though they absolutely do.
Sometimes there might be a feeling of being left out when members of a
minority gather together temporarily or form a more permanent kind of
enclave. Sometimes, because White Americans are aware of how they often feel
discomfort when they encounter cultures other than their own, they might be
afraid to apply the term “culture” to the blind because they do not want to
create that discomfort for the sighted.

I don’t know that blind culture contains a robust set of norms or traditions
that make us unadaptable to a society dominated by sighted people, but I do
know that there are some sighted people who hold the misperception that we
are unadaptable to a society dominated by sighted people. I am also
extremely aware of how other majority groups often decide that other
minority groups are unadaptable to a society dominated by that majority. We
all know that there are a lot of White Americans who spread propaganda to
frame people of color as lazy beings who would much rather sit home on
welfare programs than go out and work for a living. I want to emphasize how
the instinctual pullback that many White Americans feel at the mention of
“culture” may be obstructing our ability in the organized blind movement to
participate as effectively as possible in the broader diversity and
inclusion discussion.

Before I discuss prior positions of a few of our leaders from over the
years, I want to start by saying that I hold high regard for each of them. I
believe that each of them was speaking with the most innovative and
cutting-edge collective perspective of the organized blind at the time.
Today is a different day, and I think there may be opportunities created for
us if we tweak our messaging to make it blend in with the contemporary
dialogue.

Some of our leaders have previously contended that blindness is simply a
characteristic which does not alter an entire pattern of thought and
behavior. I agree that blindness is a characteristic, but our membership in
the blind community is also a minority group membership. In fact, before I
was born, Dr. Jernigan taught us that the blind were an oppressed minority.
Within our minority group, we may have ways in which our patterns of thought
and behavior differ from those of the broader society. I wonder if implicit
bias and stereotyping toward other oppressed minority groups has informed
the feeling that these other minorities had such extremely different
patterns of thought and behavior that the blind should not belong in the
same conversation.

If we want disability to be included in diversity and inclusion discussions,
I think it helps a lot for us to have a clearly defined concept of blind
culture. If we don’t do it, someone else will do it for us. In the past, I
believe that sighted people’s articulations of blind culture have produced
visceral reactions, and we have rejected the concept of blind culture
altogether. Some of us may be afraid that blindisms, such as rocking or
pressing on our eyes, will be lumped into the concept of blind culture so
that society will have one more way to conclude that we cannot blend in. I
think there is a middle road where we can discuss the concept without
accepting all of the inaccurate articulations of it.

As we are starting to collectively agree through many of our own diversity
and inclusion discussions, people have multiple identities, and we live in
the intersection of them. This is also true in reverse, with the blind
offering a cultural identity to the other identities to which we belong.

In 2019 I had the pleasure of attending and presenting at a professional
conference involving the United States Access Board, which was held
literally right behind my apartment in Honolulu, Hawaii. The keynote speaker
was a fascinating professor from Gallaudet University, and some of his
presentation techniques will stick with me for a while. His keynote
presentation discussed the idea of deaf space and deaf culture, with the
idea that the built environment could be different if it is actually built
for people with disabilities. He believes there are actual architectural
features that can be associated with deaf space and thus deaf culture. I
cannot remember anything specific from his presentation, but I loved his
answer to my question when it came time for the Q&A. I laid out for him the
idea that some disability communities contend that there is no culture for
them, like the blind community, but then the deaf community is proud to have
deaf culture. I asked if he thought culture relied on a linguistic identity,
like that associated with American Sign Language, or if there was some other
way that he could define culture. He paused, and then he told me that he
thought culture was a matter of a group having control over a set of norms
that could be practiced in that group.

We do have certain community norms that are specific to the blind community.
At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the entire country shut down
in-person gatherings and switched to conference calls, then to Zoom or
similar videoconferencing platforms. When it came to conference calls, in my
opinion, many sighted people struggled tremendously to figure out how to
take turns speaking on the calls. Blind people were already well-adapted to
communicating without visual cues because we do it all the time. We have a
custom that works well for us. One person is running the meeting, and people
who want the proverbial floor or microphone will say their name. This is
like our version of raising a hand to signal a desire to speak. When the
moderator or chair of the discussion decides that it is time to acknowledge
us, they will, by repeating our name or perhaps giving us a simple “yes” in
order to show that they are allowing us to speak. This is a communication
norm that comes from blind culture.

I believe that there are sighted people who have adapted to the norms of
blind culture so that they can blend in perfectly well. Many of us have had
the experience of being shocked when we realize that someone involved in the
blind community is actually sighted instead of blind. This feeling of shock
was made possible because they had blended into blind culture so well.

I also wonder how much we adjust our speech based on what is most efficient
in the Braille code. For example, the word “cannot” is shorter in Braille
than the contraction “can’t.” I wonder if Braille readers choose to use the
word “cannot” as opposed to “can’t” more often than the average American
English speaker does it. I suspect that we do. Braille readership is
associated with positive disability identity in the blind community, so
Braille readership is associated with blind culture. Using “cannot” as
opposed to “can’t” more often than the general public may be a part of blind
culture. I do not believe that someone must be a Braille reader in order to
fit in with blind culture, but I do believe that blind culture holds a
special appreciation for Braille readership.

As with any situation in which we attempt to put our finger on a new
concept, I am sure that there will be evolution in my own thoughts on this
issue. I wonder if we should find a way to welcome the concept of blind
culture for the simple reason that it will help us to get our disability
identity included in the broader social emphasis on diversity and inclusion.

I get the vibe that there is a fear that acknowledging a blind culture will
lead to us being segregated for it, but I think the answer is not to deny
blind culture. I think the answer is to acknowledge that there is a blind
culture and then work to ensure that no minority, including the blind, is
segregated based on culture.

I don’t currently feel like blind culture is a robust set of different
norms, but I think they do exist, and they do matter. I wonder: if we came
to accept the idea that there is a blind culture, if we might start to
notice more things about it because we are then more open to it. I do not
know for sure if I believe that there is a blind culture, but I’m opening
myself up to it as a possibility. If more of us do the same, maybe we will
come to conclude that blind culture exists, and we can use this concept to
help ensure greater inclusion of the blind into society.

----------

Introducing the COVID Vaccine Promo

As COVID-19 vaccination efforts expand, it has become clear that many
websites and processes to register, set appointments, and navigate spaces
for the vaccine are not fully accessible to those in the blind and
low-vision community. While it is the responsibility of government and
healthcare entities to comply with the law and ensure that their platforms
and processes are accessible, and while the community will continue its
advocacy efforts, we cannot wait to get the vaccine. Therefore, we are
introducing the COVID promo to assist the Explorer community in obtaining
these crucial vaccines. For up to thirty minutes per day, Explorers may use
Aira free for vaccine-related tasks.

To help our advocacy efforts, we would ask that you use the hashtag
#CovidBLV in any and all social media postings and share some of the gaps
and barriers you encountered. Also consider mentioning @Airaio and our
partners the National Federation of the Blind (@NFB_Voice) in your posts.
You can also help advocate by completing this survey Access to COVID-19
Vaccine and Testing Survey (
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and
-testing-survey>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-
testing-survey) that has been created by the National Federation of the
Blind.

Our goal is to ensure that entities understand their obligation to make
their websites and processes as accessible as possible. As they work to do
so, we can assist people in the following ways regarding their COVID
vaccinations:

*         Researching if Explorer qualifies and determining places to
register and receive vaccinations

*         Assisting with registering for and scheduling vaccination
appointments using TeamViewer on the computer or TeamViewer Quick Support on
the smartphone

*         Navigating locations where vaccines are provided, such as
healthcare centers, public health facilities, mass vaccination locations,
and drive-up sites

*         Assisting in scheduling second vaccination appointments

*         Taking post-vaccination selfies

This promo does not cover:

*         Non-vaccine-related COVID research

*         Transportation to and from the vaccination site

*         Registering others outside of the immediate family for
vaccinations or COVID testing

In order to provide this promotion, we will be limiting our Job Seeker promo
to one thirty-minute call per day through May.

The staff and agents here at Aira wish you and yours the best of health.

----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ryan Carsey]

Structured Discovery Cane Travel in Context:

Arguments for Its Continued Practice in Our Current Environment

by Ryan Carsey

>From the Editor: Ryan Carsey is a member of the National Federation of the
Blind from the state of Pennsylvania. He graduated from the Louisiana Center
for the Blind in 2012. He was taught and mentored by the late Arlene Hill,
who strongly supported his desire to teach cane travel. He studied
psychology and philosophy at Northampton Community College and Moravian
College. He eagerly accepted an opportunity to teach cane travel to blind
adolescents at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland in the Summers of
2017 and 2018. He currently has a similar position in the Colorado Center's
Summer program. He also taught assistive technology to clients within the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2018-2019. Within the past year, Ryan
discovered his fascination with urban design and the built environment which
will probably be evident in his writing. He specifically has an interest in
what factors make places more walkable as well as the principles that guide
the development of great public transit systems. Brian has loved running
since the age of 16 and more recently has incorporated bodyweight
strength-training exercises into his training.

When I attended the Louisiana Center for the Blind in 2011-2012, I remained
at the Center for my training, only returning home for Thanksgiving and
Christmas. This "immersion" training is foundational to the training methods
used by our training centers, since we believe that proper training and
opportunities lead to more independence. It is much harder to achieve
proficiency and confidence in a practical skill without immersion on a daily
basis, especially skills related to cane travel. However, for the first time
since the National Federation of the Blind began using immersion training in
its three training centers, we face a serious and sweeping dilemma because
of the novel Coronavirus pandemic. To give one example of the impact, the
Colorado Center for the Blind had to make the difficult decision to suspend
training and send their residential students home until further notice.
Since it is impossible to know how long the virus will continue to be a
threat to public health, they will also have to make another difficult
decision about their summer youth program, of which I am a part. Immersion
will always be an essential element of our training that simply cannot be
replaced. However, even more important right now is the continuation of
training through the duration of this pandemic until we can safely begin
immersion training. This is possible because of our Structured Discovery
model of teaching. I will briefly go over what Structured Discovery is and
add a unique perspective about it which I have observed. I will show how
Structured Discovery is advantageous specifically during this time compared
to the traditional method of teaching orientation and mobility. Finally, I
will mention some specific strategies and areas of cane travel to focus on
and point out the areas that will be most challenging in the absence of
immersion. Hopefully this will give instructors some ideas, but even more
importantly, I hope it will encourage students and travelers alike to keep
progressing and learning despite our current state.

There is already a considerably large collection of literature out there
about what Structured Discovery is, why it works, and how to use it. Without
going into too much detail and repeating what has already been said, I'd
like to talk a little bit about two broad elements underlying Structured
Discovery that are relevant to this discussion. The first thing to
understand is Structured Discovery learning is focused on the student, and
the goal is to shift the role of the decision-maker from the instructor to
the student. The goal of cane travel under the Structured Discovery model is
to get each student to the point of making decisions as soon as they can. In
the beginning of training, the instructor will be more involved as the
student is just beginning to learn concepts such as cane techniques and
cardinal directions. But, unlike the traditional method, this teaching
method, along with its emphasis on nonvisual techniques through the use of
sleepshades and the long white cane, will gradually shift autonomy to the
student as he or she becomes a more proficient and confident cane traveler.
For example, suppose a blind student in training is going to participate in
a lesson involving a bus route. Using the Structured Discovery model, an
instructor will give the student a destination to go to. Assuming the
student had some prior experience with public transit and depending on the
student's confidence level, the instructor may either ask the student how he
or she will get there and which bus they will take, or the instructor may
simply say, "Take me there." If the student is pretty advanced and
confident, the student may even be taken to an unfamiliar place and asked to
meet the instructor somewhere. Using the traditional model, the instructor
will accompany the student to a bus stop or station that they are more than
likely going to use regularly. The instructor will describe the layout and
explain where certain buses stop within a station. The student will be told
which bus goes where and encouraged to focus on one bus route, perhaps a bus
route that will be used frequently to travel to work or a medical office. It
is so important to notice the difference between these two teaching methods.
Structured Discovery gives more autonomy to the student, while the
traditional model does less so.

The second element of Structured Discovery is closely related to the element
of student-focused learning, and in my experience it is not a part of the
traditional model. The second element of Structured Discovery is an
extensive examination of attitudes about blindness. We who teach using
Structured Discovery believe that public attitudes about blindness are the
biggest barrier that blind people face, and we strongly believe that it is
important to have regular group discussions about these attitudes. The
reason why is simple: despite these attitudes and misconceptions, blind
people are normal people just like everyone else. The belief about blindness
being a normal part of life, along with my curiosity about walkable cities
and my enjoyment of teaching cane travel sparked an observation which I
would like to share. First let me briefly explain some important concepts
about walkability.

There is an excellent book written by Jeff Speck called Walkable City Rules.
He lists and describes 101 rules that communities should adopt in order to
be more walkable. These rules are grounded in what Speck calls the "general
theory of walkability." His theory states that a town or city will only
encourage people to walk if it provides all four of these elements in its
design: a useful walk, a safe walk, a comfortable walk, and an interesting
walk. The useful and safe walk have to do with physical aspects of the
environment which include things like mixed-use buildings, places to walk to
and a specific "network of walkability" between them, proper widths of lanes
to discourage speeding, and reliable public transit. The comfortable and
interesting walk are more psychological, as they focus on what comforts
pedestrians as they walk and what they find interesting. Things that fall
into this category include eliminating front parking lots of businesses,
constructing buildings that are proportional to the width of the street or
taller, planting street trees and restriping streets to include parking
lanes beside sidewalks, and showing a presence of other people by installing
things like benches and windows along building fronts.

In studying Speck's theory of walkability and reflecting on its relevance to
orientation and mobility, I realize these are very similar concepts. Since
blind people are normal people who are driven by the same motivations as
everyone else, it is not unreasonable to say blind people have the same
motivations to travel as sighted people do. Structured Discovery cane travel
enables those who use nonvisual techniques to experience all four elements
of the ideal walking experience. Structured Discovery seeks to give the
student a reason to travel, primarily in the beginning as the teacher
teaches the student proper cane techniques, the use of cardinal directions,
and a basic understanding of intersections and traffic patterns. It enables
the experience of a safe walk by encouraging them to focus more on nonvisual
techniques to interpret their environment and make rational decisions based
on what they expect will happen. This is in contrast to relying on someone
else to do that for them or being reliant on their limited vision. It
encourages the student to be interested in traveling and less fearful of the
unknown, as oftentimes things can change throughout the travel lesson and in
life in general. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Structured Discovery
helps the student feel more comfortable as a traveler and with blindness in
the long run. Just as the enclosure of buildings, parked cars, and trees
along the sides of sidewalks give pedestrians a sense of comfort and
security, cane travel taught using the Structured Discovery model helps
blind students develop comfort and self-confidence in any number of familiar
and unfamiliar situations, and it encourages them to be more accepting of
their blindness. Excluding discussions of attitudes about blindness would be
like telling a pedestrian to walk along a sidewalk that had a parking lot on
one side and a six-lane road on the other, with nothing between the curb and
the nearest lane of traffic. You could do both, but both lead to discomfort
and discouragement.

With an understanding of two elements of Structured Discovery, is it
possible for someone to improve in cane travel during this time among the
orders to stay at home except for essential needs? As I said, nothing can
fully replace the immersion experience that you get from training. Cane
travel is best learned by traveling through the built environment and
responding to events in real time. Learning on a conceptual level is not the
same. However, learning on a conceptual level is better than learning
nothing at all. A big advantage with the Structured Discovery model is it is
very conceptual, and now is a great time for instructors and students alike
to focus on cane travel concepts. Cane techniques and when to use them,
cardinal directions, address systems, and public transit systems are a few
examples of things to work on mastering. Cardinal directions in particular
are challenging to many people, but with many of us having so much extra
time on our hands at home, it shouldn't take long to master with consistent
practice. Other things that are better learned through experience but can
still be taught on a conceptual level include proper cane grip and arc;
walking in-step; parallel and perpendicular traffic; various types of
intersections and when it is safe to cross them; navigating crowds, malls
and shopping centers; and using public transit. These concepts are certainly
better learned while you are working directly with an instructor since the
instructor can observe an arc that is too wide or narrow, just to give an
example. And, due to the current parameters for social distancing, it is not
advisable to work in any crowded area. However, it is possible for an
instructor to teach these underlying concepts. With concepts such as cane
grip, arc, and walking in-step, the instructor will have to be very detailed
and specific as to how to hold the cane, how wide the student's arc should
be, and what it means to walk in-step. Although nothing works as well at
demonstrating these concepts as experiencing them in the real world, it is
still very important to learn and understand them. Pairing the comprehension
of these skills with regular philosophical discussions about blindness is
the ideal strategy during this time of social distancing, keeping in mind
the value of immersion.

----------

Recipes

Recipes this month were contributed by members of the National Federation of
the Blind of Rhode Island.

French Meat Pie

by Jo-Ann Craig

Jo-Ann is a new member of the Greater Providence Chapter. She attended our
virtual state convention in October and decided to join our organization.
She has been an active participant ever since.

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground pork

1 pound ground beef

1 cup water

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon each: pepper, nutmeg, allspice

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 cups breadcrumbs

One pie crust (top and bottom)

Method: In stainless steel pot, heat ground pork, ground beef, water, salt,
and spices and chopped onions for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring
often to prevent sticking! Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs. Mix well.
Let cool. Line deep dish pie pan with pie crust; fill with meat mixture.
Cover with other crust. Make slits to vent. Bake at 400 degrees for 30
minutes or until crust is well browned. I cover edges with foil for 15
minutes or so to prevent burning.

----------

Broccoli Puff

by Jo-Ann Craig

Ingredients:

2 packs frozen chopped broccoli or one 16-ounce bag

1 cup Bisquick

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Method: Cook broccoli per package instructions. Mix together Bisquick, milk,
eggs, and salt. Stir in broccoli and cheese. Pour into greased 1.5-quart
casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour until knife inserted into middle
half-way comes out clean.

----------

Italian Hot Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, and Cannellini Beans Over Pasta—so
good!!!

by Janice Musco

Janice is a longtime member of our affiliate. She is a successful adaptive
fisherwoman and has won several fishing tournaments. She is also a member of
the RI Visually Impaired Lions International Club.

Ingredients:

3 cloves garlic; sliced thin

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes; (optional)

1/2 pound spicy hot Italian sausage, removed from casing; break into
bite-sized pieces

1 bunch broccoli rabe; cut in 2-inch pieces

8 ounces chicken or vegetable stock

1 19-oz can cannellini beans, drained

1/2 pound dried pasta such as ziti

1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste

1/3 cup grated Locatelli romano or parmesan cheese

Method: To prepare broccoli rabe for cooking, cut leafy portions into
two-inch pieces. Peel the stems and cut to two-inch pieces. Rinse well.
Steam for 10-15 minutes. In large deep skillet sauté garlic and crushed red
pepper (if using) for an additional 2 minutes. Add steamed broccoli rabe.
Sauté an additional 5-10 minutes. Set aside. Using same skillet, sauté
sausage until lightly browned. Return garlic and broccoli rabe, add stock.
Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10
minutes. Add beans and stir until thoroughly mixed and heated.

Cook pasta according to directions for desired doneness; when draining
pasta, reserve 1-cup pasta cooking water. Plate pasta with sauce, using
reserved water if more moisture is needed and top with grated cheese.

----------

Crockpot Chili

by Grace Pires

To my family’s relief, after much experimenting, I finally came up with a
recipe which I am satisfied with.

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground beef

2 15-oz cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

2 15-oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 can of beef broth

1 can of diced tomatoes

1 8-oz can of tomato sauce

1/2 bag of frozen chopped onions and peppers or to taste.

1 packet of chili mix

2 tablespoons of chili powder

Method: Brown the ground beef and drain the fat. Mix all ingredients in the
crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Enjoy.

---------

Uncle Ernest Soup

by Richard Moreau

Richard has been a member of our organization for several years. Here are
two of his all-time favorite recipes.

Ingredients:

1 pound of hamburger

6 medium-sized potatoes

1 large can of regular corn

1 small can of tomato sauce

1 teaspoon of celery salt

Pinch of salt

Method: Fry hamburger and then drain out the grease. Peel and cut potatoes
into cubes. Place potatoes and hamburger into a 6-quart pan. Fill with
water. Add celery salt, salt, and tomato sauce to water. Place on
medium-high heat until potatoes are soft. Add can of corn to pot. Stir in
ingredients.

----------

Ice Box Cake

by Richard Moreau

Ingredients:

1 box of regular graham crackers

1 gallon of regular milk

1 container of Cool Whip

Cherries (optional)

2 large boxes of chocolate pudding and 2 small boxes of chocolate pudding—Do
not use instant pudding

1 large box and 1 small box of vanilla pudding—Do not use instant pudding

Method: Follow the directions given on each box of pudding. Use one large
and one small box of pudding for each layer. You will now make layers using
a 9 x 13 x 2” pan. Place a layer of graham crackers, then top it with
chocolate pudding. Next layer it with graham crackers and top it with
vanilla pudding. Finally, last layer of graham crackers and top it off with
chocolate pudding. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Cut into individual pieces and
top with Cool Whip along with a cherry (optional).

----------

Monitor Miniatures

                                                                      News
from the Federation Family

Convention Concert at #NFB21:

We are excited to announce that there will be a fabulous virtual concert
held this year at National Convention on the evening of July 6, 2021,
anywhere and everywhere! The evening will be full of great talent and will
raise money for the National Federation of the Blind and its Performing Arts
Division.

This is where you come in! We welcome anyone to submit a selection by May
15th to be considered by our panel. We will be choosing artists to be
featured during the virtual concert, as well as at other points throughout
the convention. All the information will be forthcoming at
<http://www.nfb-pad.org> www.nfb-pad.org.

Let’s go build the National Federation of the Blind, because we are truly
stronger together!

Elected:

The Greater Portland Chapter in Maine held its elections, and these women
and men were elected: Leslie Landry, president; Gerard Landry, vice
president; Randy Bellavance, treasurer; Kyle Miller, secretary; Sarah
Bellavance, board position one; Courtney Straffin, board position two.
Congratulations to all of those who have committed to build the National
Federation of the Blind and to make a difference especially for those living
in Portland.

Elected:

The Johnson/Wyandotte County chapter of the NFB of Kansas held its elections
on December 11, 2020. The following officers were elected: Tom Anderson,
president; Randy J. Phifer, vice president; Jody Mulik, secretary; Don
Mulik, treasurer. Congratulations to the new officers.

----------

NFB Pledge

                I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the
National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and
security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the
Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

Do you have a smart phone, tablet ETC! How would you like to be able to look
at your calendar on your phone for upcoming events for the NFB of SC?   Are
if you are at your desk and wondering do I have any events scheduled today
for the NFB of SC? Well, we have something that you will really like! Below
is a link to the NFB of SC Google Calendar that you can subscribe to for
upcoming events without having to visit our fabulous NFB of SC website to
check the Events Calendar. Below is the link in which you will need to
subscribe to the Events Calendar on your smart phone or computer.

<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nfbsouthcarolina%40gmail.com/priv
ate-4df60c862f41a1d9bf2e25ed4a6af1f2/basic.ics>