[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1812

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon May 3 11:06:43 UTC 2021

May 3, , 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1812

803-960-9977

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

Midlands’ Gives Is Tuesday, May 4!

You don’t have to wait until Tuesday, May 4 to give. You may call a friend
in the Federation, David Houck at the Center or others to assist you in
completing the online web form. You may give to the National Federation of
the Blind of SC or Rocky Bottom. The minimum is $10. The National Federation
of the Blind of SC would greatly appreciate your generous donation!

You may call the following individuals to assist you in your online giving:

David Houck, 803-254-3777

Valerie Warrington, 803-271-1937

Pam Schexnider, 803-479-1241

Those who donate to Rocky Bottom and NFB of SC will be listed in the
Positive Note; their donation amounts will not be listed, just their names
for each organization.

Thank you to the following individuals who have already contributed to Rocky
Bottom, NFB of SC or both.

NFB of SC:

David Rebocho

Steve Cook

Shannon Cook

Jennifer O’Neill

Kerry Stubs

Patricia Smith Jenkins

Jennifer Bazer

Rocky Bottom

Jean Rentz

Patricia Smith Jenkins

Kerry Stubbs

Steve Cook

Shannon Cook

Jennifer Bazer

Below is a little about Midlands’ Gives.

Midlands’ Gives

On May 4, 2021

Our nonprofits support our whole community by providing vital services that
make the Midlands more livable and vibrant. Give today, or join us virtually
on May 4 for Midlands Gives Day when your gift may be amplified by matching
funds and prizes. Embrace your inner philanthropist, and give generously!

Midlands’ Gives is presented by
Central Carolina Community Foundation

Central Carolina Community Foundation, the Midlands' local center for
philanthropy, is a nonprofit organization that links charitable people and
businesses with areas of need in our community. Our mission is to promote,
facilitate, and increase philanthropy to create a sustainable impact within
our community

We hope you will consider sharing the below links with your networks to
raise money for NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom. We will continue our contest
among districts and divisions. Who will receive the plaque this year at our
state convention in North Charleston?

NFB of SC

https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC

Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind

https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom

Movie Night May 7

The National Federation of the Blind of SC would like to invite everyone to
movie night on Friday, May 7, 2021, at 8:00 PM eastern! We are showing the
movie "Radio" and it is audio described. So bring your favorite snacks and
drinks and join us! See zoom link details in our calendar of events below.

Radio is a good human-interest story that was inspired by events in 1976 in
Anderson, South Carolina. Cuba Gooding, Jr., who plays the mentally
challenged Radio, does such a good acting job, you will believe he is the
real Radio. His real name is James Robert Kennedy, and he was nicknamed
Radio, because of his radio collection and listening to the radio all the
time. Radio spends his days in this small town pushing or riding a grocery
cart down the street, talking to no one. After some football players harass
Radio, the football coach Harold Jones played by Ed Harris takes Radio under
his wing. Radio begins to help out at football practice and sits on the
bench at games. In time, Radio begins to trust the coach. However, some
people in town think Radio is a distraction to the team, and they want Radio
to go. By this time the coach and the team are all friends to Radio and they
want him to stay. Douglas Young (the-movie-guy)

The NFB of SC board met on Sunday, May 2 to discuss further details about
the state convention.

Sponsorships

The board voted to have a competition among chapters and divisions to see
which team can acquire the largest sponsorships in dollar amount. The
chapter or division that raises the most money with sponsorships will
receive 10% of the total amount raised. We are hoping a company, individual,
or group will donate  a trophy to this chapter or division to be passed
around each year like we do with Midlands’ Gives. Remember, all sponsorships
help defray the cost of the convention and does not drain the state
affiliate treasury.

Scholarships to First Timers to the State Convention

The board voted to give out three $200 scholarships to be used for those who
are first timers to the NFB of SC state convention. The applicants must be
members of the NFB of SC in good standing, have registered to attend the
convention in-person, and submit their application by June 30, 2021 which is
the same day one must have dues paid to the state organization. The board
also voted to have a committee to develop guidelines for the application
process. President Jennifer Bazer will select the committee by May 5, 2021.

Drawings for Registered Attendees

There will be several drawings before the convention to encourage
individuals to register early. The board voted to have a drawing for those
who register by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 31, 2021 for the state convention
virtually or in-person. The winner of that drawing will receive a $100 gift
card. Those that register between June 1 and 11:59 PM Eastern on June 30,
2021 will be entered into a $50 gift card drawing.

Those that register before May 31 and pay your deposit on a room at the
North Charleston Marriott by the same date will be entered into an
additional $100 drawing donated by an anonymous donor. If you register for
the state convention and pay your room deposit at the hotel between June 1
and June 30, 2021, you will be entered into an additional $50 gift card
drawing donated by the senior division

Let’s talk about our state convention in detail.

We will be having our sixty-fifth NFB of SC state convention August 19-22,
2021 at the North Charleston Marriott, 4770 Goer Drive, North Charleston,
SC, 29406. It is time for all of us to begin making our reservations and
registering for our hybrid convention. You may contact the hotel directly at
843-747-1900 and let them know you are registering for the NFB of SC state
convention to receive the discounted rates.

Room rates are as follows:

Singles and doubles, $115.00 per night.

Triples, $125.00 per night.

Quads, $135.00 per night.

You will also need to add sales tax which currently is 14%.

The NFB of SC block of rooms at the above rates will be good until July 29,
2021 until 5:00 PM Eastern time. After that date, the hotel will release the
rooms to the general public and we will not be guaranteed our group rate.

The NFB of SC board voted on Thursday, April 22, 2021 on the following rates
for convention registration. The prices include reception on Friday night,
boxed breakfast Saturday and Sunday, and banquet Saturday night. There will
not be a luncheon on Saturday afternoon.

Adults, $85.00 per person until July 15; $100.00 after this date.

College, graduate and doctoral students, $55 per person until July 15; $60
after this date.

Individuals 18 and younger, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this
date.

Virtual, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this date.

In order to have a hybrid event so that as many individuals can attend as
possible, we are charging a small registration fee for virtual attendance to
cover the cost of broadcasting from the Marriott; the hotel charges the NFB
of SC around $1,000 for audiovisual equipment and broadcasting.

If you plan to vote in this year’s election for the NFB of SC, you will need
to be a member of the NFB of SC in good standing as of June 30, 2021 by
11:59 PM Eastern Standard time.

You may register using a paper registration form, complete and enclose
payment and send to the Federation Center, 2021 NFB of SC State Convention,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also register online and submit payment through Pay Pal or you may
send in your payment to the Center at the above address. Registration will
not be confirmed until payment has been received through the mail or Pay
Pal. If using Pay Pal, please remember to add 3% to your total to cover Pay
Pal’s administration fees and so that NFB of SC receives the entire amount.

Let’s have a large in-person and virtual turn-out for the NFB of SC
Sixty-Fifth state convention!

Register online at

2021 National Federation of the Blind of SC Sixty-Fifth State Convention
Registration Form

https://forms.gle/JUxemkCKcjiWdC827

You may obtain a printed  form from David Houck at the Federation Center.
Those letters and registration forms will be in the mail this week.

Questions about the convention, please call me at 803-960-9977 or email me
at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

We Care

Columbia Chapter members Princetta Goodwin and Gwen lost everything in a
house fire according to Maggie Floyd.  Anything contributed (money,
clothing, household items, etc.) should be given to Maggie Floyd at 1643
Albritton Rd., Columbia, SC 29204, phone 803-920-4433.

We extend our deepest sympathies to Dorothy Barksdale on the loss of her
aunt.

Please notify Dorothy Barksdale, Chair of the We Care Committee of praise
and prayer reports.

The next Palmetto connects will be Thursday, May 6 at 6:00 PM Eastern. We
will be highlighting what the board decided on May 2 as well as results of
Midlands’ Gives. Please invite others to this important call and reach out
to assist individuals who may need help getting on the call.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All
meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, May 3, 2021

Fund Raising Committee 7:00 PM

Presidential Release 8:00 PM

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Legislative Committee 8:00 PM

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Cooking with the At Large Chapter 6:30 PM

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

Darlington County 7:00 PM

Friday, May 7, 2021

Meet the Blind Committee 6:00 PM

Movie Radio, audio Described 8:00 PM

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

CSTD Technology Training. 10:00 to 12:00 Noon

Student Division Social 8:00 PM

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Lee County 7:00 PM

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Nationally:

The May edition of the Braille Monitor, the flagship publication of the
National Federation of the Blind, is now available. Here is a direct link to
the complete issue for your reading pleasure! Recipes in this edition were
contributed by members of the Palmetto affiliate!

https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2105/bm2105.htm
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2105/bm2105.htm>

Presidential Release Monday, May 3

Join President Riccobono for the Latest Updates & Perspective on Our
Movement
Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. ET via Zoom | En Español
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=20954&qid=5225169>
Join President Mark Riccobono as he delivers the monthly presidential
release of the National Federation of the Blind. Members of the Federation
are encouraged to attend and non-members are warmly welcomed. Closed
captions will be provided on the Zoom platform, and you may also access the
closed captions/transcript through 1CapApp. There are several options to
attend the release. Ask your favorite Amazon device to play "Nation's
Blind."
Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  and put PR505 in the subject line, or call
410-659-9314, extension 2473.

Join the Zoom (English and Español)

Join the event via the web, mobile app, or dial in. Use the link below to
join the webinar which will include closed captions, Spanish interpretation,
and the Q&A feature.
https://zoom.us/j/96077827233
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=20955&qid=5225169>
Or one-tap mobile: +13017158592,,96077827233#
Or telephone; dial then enter the corresponding webinar ID:
+1 669 900 6833
Webinar ID: 960 7782 7233

Random Fact of the Day:

Dolphins sleep with one half of the brain at a time, and with one eye
closed.

Final Thought:

"Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud." - Maya Angelou

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - “The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.”

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>