[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1815

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Mon May 24 10:30:13 UTC 2021

May 24, , 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1815

803-960-9977

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

We are looking to partner with Lion Vision Services (LVS) to work out
transportation for everyone interested in attending convention in person.
LVS is asking me to identify how many folks in each region will need
transportation. The only way I can accurately tell them is for you to let me
know. If the only reason you have not registered for the state convention is
due to lack of transportation or uncertainty about transportation, please
register for the convention in person and we will insure you have a ride.
Once you register and you need transportation, please text, call or email me
so I can let LVS know accurate numbers for each region. Those chapters with
vans, I am hopeful that you will offer folks a ride and partner with other
chapters to assist as well. Transportation will not be a deterrent. If you
are looking for a roommate for the state convention, please let me know so
that we can spread the word. Let's try to work together so that everyone who
wishes to attend the convention, can attend.

If you are planning to attend the convention in person and you have never
attended our NFB of SC state convention, there will be three $200 first-goer
sponsorships. The committee responsible for developing the criteria and
application is chaired by Shannon Cook and also includes Demetrius
Williford, Loretta Green, Derique Simon and Valerie Warrington. If you have
questions about the application process, please contact one of these
committee members. The application and criteria will be posted to the
listserv and will be in the next Positive Note.

Thank you to the following individuals who have registered for our NFB of SC
65th annual state convention virtually or in-person. Your names will be
entered into our$100 gift card drawing since registration was confirmed by
May 31. If you do not see your name on this list and you wish to have your
name entered into the gift card drawing which will be held on June 3 during
our Palmetto Connects, please register by 11:59 PM. Eastern on May 31.

Steve Cook

Shannon Cook

Roger Webb

Patricia Jenkins

David Rebocho

Melanie Torrance

Hope Bowden

Ed Bible

Julie Bible

Marty McKenzie

Jennifer Bazer

Jamie Allison

Beverly Allison

Pam Schexnider

David Schexnider

Janice Bright

David Houck

Darlene Houck

Diane Haycraft

Donna O'neal

David Bundy

Patricia Cheatham

Rachel Alexander

Ike Nelson

The following individuals have registered for the North Charleston Marriott
during our convention. If you have paid for your convention registration and
booked a reservation for the convention by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 31, you
will be entered into an additional $100 gift card drawing. For this drawing
which will be held on June 3 during Palmetto Connects, please remember, you
have to have registered for the convention and reserved a room at the
Marriott in North Charleston.

Andrena Corder

Rosco Corder

Janice Bright

Loretta Green

Malaya Reece

Anita Harris

Casey Rose

John Williams

Ed Bible

Julie Bible

Diane Haycraft

Shannon Cook

Steve Cook

David Houck

Darlene Houck

Marty McKenzie

David Rebocho

Melanie Torrance

Roger Webb

Demetrius Williford

Pat Wolthoff

Dale Wolthof

Jennifer Bazer

Sponsorship Letter for State Convention

If you need sponsorship letters sent out, please contact David Houck and he
will be happy to assist. Please do not forget about our contest. The chapter
or divisions who obtains the most sponsorship donation in dollar amount will
receive a percentage of the total donations raised. Our goal is $15,000.
Sponsorships will help defray costs of the convention for the affiliate.

NFB of SC Board Meeting May 27

The NFB of SC will have a board meeting on Thursday night, May 27 at 8:00 PM
Eastern on the Federation zoom platform. We will continue to make decisions
about the state convention. I will assume that all board members will be in
attendance, unless, I hear from you!

Midlands' Gives Omission

I want to thank Loretta Green for giving to the NFB of SC during Midlands'
Gives. Her name was accidentally left off the list of donors. Thank you
Loretta for your contribution to the Palmetto affiliate!

Movie Night

The NFB of SC will be hosting another audio described movie night on Friday,
June 4 at 8 PM Eastern. We will be showing If I can Only Imagine. Please
bring your favorite snack and drink and come join us!

Advocacy Committee

Thank you to our advocacy committee and all of our members who attended the
SC Commission for the Board meeting on May 18. A lot of excellent questions
were asked. Please remember these meetings are on the third Tuesdays of each
month. We welcome more members to attend and listen or ask questions.

Palmetto Connects

            We will have our next palmetto connects meeting on Thursday,
June 3, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time.  Please encourage your chapters,
divisions, committees to attend to learn about the latest happenings in the
NFB of SC! All are welcome from everywhere! This will be an exciting
connects call as we will be drawing for the two $100 gift cards for the
state convention mentioned above and our two $100 gift card drawings for our
PAC plan challenge which is mentioned further in this Positive Note.

Palmetto Blind

It is once again time to publish our Palmetto Blind for the Palmetto
affiliate.  Please send in your Newsletter submissions NOW!  Leaders please
submit items for your chapters and divisions and update meeting information
if needed.  Individual members may also submit any information you feel will
be beneficial to our NFB of SC family, including articles, tips and trivia.
Please get your submissions to me no later than -May 28th.  You may send
them to

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Thank you to those who have submitted poems and other contributions. We
really have some talented folks in our Palmetto affiliate. I look forward to
receiving more items of interest.

Scholarship Announcement 2021

Hello Federation Family from the Scholarship Committee.  In an effort to
encourage more timely application submissions for the 2021 Scholarship
Program, we are challenging students to apply early .  If your application
is received *in full* by 11:59 p.m. on May 31st, your name will be entered
in a drawing for a $25 gift card.  The application can be found on the
affiliate's website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> .  Don't
keep this to yourself; pass this along to anyone who may qualify. Federation
members may recall that in the past, the three scholarship finalists will
have their hotel room and registration paid for by the NFB of SC.  Please
consider making a donation to the Scholarship Program.  No amount is too
small.  If every member gave just $10, we could double the dollar amount
awarded in years past.  Together, we can build the Federation.

Braille Literacy Committee

Starting in July, the Braille literacy committee will start a basic Braille
class. It is geared to those who need to learn the Braille alphabet, and
numbers.

If you are interested, please contact Shelley Coppel at 803-796-8662.

There are only 5 spaces available, so please don't delay.

Tracy Spittle

Chairman

Braille Literacy Committee

Submissions for the Positive Note:

If you have an item to include in the Positive Note about your chapter,
division, something that would interest the affiliate, please send to me via
email by Sunday night to include in the next day's PN.

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

PAC Plan Challenge!

We are drawing near to our contest for the PAC Plan. Our drawing will be
held on June 3 during Palmetto Connects for those who have increased their
PAC and those who have jumped on the PAC Plan. This can be individuals,
chapters, and divisions. Here is more about the PAC and our contest which
ends May 31.

PAC Plan Challenge:

              We will be running a contest from December 5, 2020  through
May 31, 2021 for our NFB of SC affiliate. We are currently 13 and would like
to be in the top 10 or higher. One of our members would like to see us as an
affiliate contribute $1,500 to PAC each month between chapters, divisions,
individuals and our NFB of SC affiliate. If you join PAC, your name will be
entered into a drawing for a $100 visa gift card. If you increase your PAC
donation, your name will be entered into a different $100 visa gift card
drawing. I have a list of chapters, divisions, and individuals who are on
PAC at this time. On June 1, I will ask the national office for another list
which I will use to have the two drawings on June 1. There are many ways to
give. Below, is a little about PAC.

              Thank you for your interest in the National Federation of the
Blind's Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program. This program allows you
to contribute to the NFB through recurring monthly donations. These can be
direct withdrawals from a checking account or charges to a credit card.
Please contact pac at nfb.org <mailto:pac at nfb.org>  with any questions. Thank
you for your generosity.

              You can go to https://www.nfb.org/pac to complete the online
form.

              You may also call the national office at 410-659-9314
extension 2622 or email PAC at nfb.org <mailto:PAC at nfb.org>  with questions.

              There are several chapters and divisions within our state who
are on PAC and we are grateful for those contributions. There are
individuals who are on PAC and we are appreciative of those members who give
each month. As an affiliate, we are averaging $17.41 per person and less
than 10% of our members are on PAC. Let's see if we can increase those
percentages to over $20 per month and have at least 20% of our members on
PAC. I appreciate you considering to get on the PAC plan or increasing your
donation each month!

Thank you to the following individuals, chapters and divisions who have
gotten on PAC or who have increased their PAC amount each month:

 New contributors (6):

Cheri Euton

Lori Coley

At Large Chapter

Lancaster Chapter

Melanie Torrance

Lynn Hornsby

Increases:

Frank and Shelley Coppel

David Bundy

Debra Canty

NFB SC Sumter Chapter

Steve and Shannon Cook

Jennifer Bazer

Rank: 12

Average given per month: $960.75

Monthly totals:

December 2020 - $898.00

January 2021- $953.00

February 2021- $991.00

March 2021- $1,001.00

Total given in 2020: $10,731.00

Total given in 2021 so far: $2,945.00

Roommate Needed for State Convention

Gwen Lucas from the Greenville chapter is looking for a nonsmoking roommate
August 20-22 during our state convention. Please contact her at 864-376-2012
with any questions or if you are interested in rooming with her.

We Care

Columbia Chapter members Princetta Goodwin and Gwen lost everything in a
house fire according to Maggie Floyd.  Anything contributed (money,
clothing, household items, etc.) should be given to Maggie Floyd at 1643
Albritton Rd., Columbia, SC 29204, phone 803-920-4433. You may also drop off
gifts card at the Federation Center for this family. Grocery and restaurant
gift cards are much appreciated at this time.

Please notify Dorothy Barksdale, Chair of the We Care Committee of praise
and prayer reports as well as birthdays, anniversaries and more so that the
committee can remember you.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All
meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, May 24, 2021

Doing Our Fair Share Committee 7:00 PM

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Computer Science & Tech Division 7:00 PM

Diversity & Inclusion Committee Meeting 8:00 PM

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Sports & Rec Fund Raiser meeting 8:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Social Media 6:00 PM

State Board Meeting 8:00 PM

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 PM Rocky Bottom

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

NFB of SC 65th Annual State Convention!

As of Sunday, May 9, we have ten participants in-person including an
individual from Arizona and three virtual participants. I encourage you to
register for our 65th annual state convention and attend the way that best
fits your comfort level at this time. Our goal is fifty in-person
participants and I am confident we can exceed that goal. We have several
contests listed below for those registering before May 31 and between June 1
and June 30 so please insure your name is in one of those drawings. Also, we
will be running a contest for the chapter or division who obtains the most
money in sponsorships. Let's work to exceed our $15,000 sponsorship goal to
defray the cost of the convention. If you will need transportation or a
roommate during the convention in North Charleston, please call/text me at
803-960-9977 or email me at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

This information will go on the listserv. The transportation requests will
help us in determining pick-up points around the state. I am hopeful that
chapters with vans will assist in the transportation process as well as,
others in the community.

The NFB of SC board met on Sunday, May 2 to discuss further details about
the state convention.

Sponsorships

The board voted to have a competition among chapters and divisions to see
which team can acquire the largest sponsorships in dollar amount. The
chapter or division that raises the most money with sponsorships will
receive 10% of the total amount raised. We are hoping a company, individual,
or group will donate  a trophy to this chapter or division to be passed
around each year like we do with Midlands' Gives. Remember, all sponsorships
help defray the cost of the convention and does not drain the state
affiliate treasury.

Scholarships to First Timers to the State Convention

The board voted to give out three $200 scholarships to be used for those who
are first timers to the NFB of SC state convention. The applicants must be
members of the NFB of SC in good standing, have registered to attend the
convention in-person, and submit their application by June 30, 2021 which is
the same day one must have dues paid to the state organization.

Drawings for Registered Attendees

There will be several drawings before the convention to encourage
individuals to register early. The board voted to have a drawing for those
who register by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 31, 2021 for the state convention
virtually or in-person. The winner of that drawing will receive a $100 gift
card. Those that register between June 1 and 11:59 PM Eastern on June 30,
2021 will be entered into a $50 gift card drawing.

Those that register before May 31 and pay your deposit on a room at the
North Charleston Marriott by the same date will be entered into an
additional $100 drawing donated by an anonymous donor. If you register for
the state convention and pay your room deposit at the hotel between June 1
and June 30, 2021, you will be entered into an additional $50 gift card
drawing donated by the senior division

Let's talk about our state convention in detail.

We will be having our sixty-fifth NFB of SC state convention August 19-22,
2021 at the North Charleston Marriott, 4770 Goer Drive, North Charleston,
SC, 29406. It is time for all of us to begin making our reservations and
registering for our hybrid convention. You may contact the hotel directly at
843-747-1900 and let them know you are registering for the NFB of SC state
convention to receive the discounted rates.

Room rates are as follows:

Singles and doubles, $115.00 per night.

Triples, $125.00 per night.

Quads, $135.00 per night.

You will also need to add sales tax which currently is 14%.

The NFB of SC block of rooms at the above rates will be good until July 29,
2021 until 5:00 PM Eastern time. After that date, the hotel will release the
rooms to the general public and we will not be guaranteed our group rate.

The NFB of SC board voted on Thursday, April 22, 2021 on the following rates
for convention registration. The prices include reception on Friday night,
boxed breakfast Saturday and Sunday, and banquet Saturday night. There will
not be a luncheon on Saturday afternoon.

Adults, $85.00 per person until July 15; $100.00 after this date.

College, graduate and doctoral students, $55 per person until July 15; $60
after this date.

Individuals 18 and younger, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this
date.

Virtual, $25.00 per person until July 15; $30 after this date.

In order to have a hybrid event so that as many individuals can attend as
possible, we are charging a small registration fee for virtual attendance to
cover the cost of broadcasting from the Marriott; the hotel charges the NFB
of SC around $1,000 for audiovisual equipment and broadcasting.

If you plan to vote in this year's election for the NFB of SC, you will need
to be a member of the NFB of SC in good standing as of June 30, 2021 by
11:59 PM Eastern Standard time.

You may register using a paper registration form, complete and enclose
payment and send to the Federation Center, 2021 NFB of SC State Convention,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also register online and submit payment through Pay Pal or you may
send in your payment to the Center at the above address. Registration will
not be confirmed until payment has been received through the mail or Pay
Pal. If using Pay Pal, please remember to add 3% to your total to cover Pay
Pal's administration fees and so that NFB of SC receives the entire amount.

Let's have a large in-person and virtual turn-out for the NFB of SC
Sixty-Fifth state convention!

Register online at

2021 National Federation of the Blind of SC Sixty-Fifth State Convention
Registration Form

https://forms.gle/JUxemkCKcjiWdC827

You may obtain a printed  form from David Houck at the Federation Center.
Those letters and registration forms will be in the mail this week.

Questions about the convention, please call me at 803-960-9977 or email me
at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Random Fact of the Week:

The "M's" in M&Ms stand for "Mars" and "Murrie."

That would be Forrest Mars and Bruce Murrie, the two businessmen who created
the candy-coated chocolates. The two actually had a very contentious
relationship, as
<http://omgfacts.com/the-scandalous-story-behind-mms-name/> Mars leveraged
Murrie out of his 20 percent share in the company in 1949-years before M&Ms
would become the best-selling candy in the U.S., paying him just $1 million
for a share of business that would quickly be worth billions.

Final Thought:

"No one is perfect - that's why pencils have erasers."

Wolfgang Riebe

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>