[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1840 Take two

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Nov 15 12:51:29 UTC 2021

November15, 2021

Positive Note 1840

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

As we finish strong in our Marriott fundraiser; as we participate in other
fundraisers within our affiliate among chapters and divisions, as we ask
others to view our online rocky Bottom auction, as we bring gently used and
new shoes for our Give Back project, as we ask individuals to join our
Federation family, keep asking, keep trying, keep presenting, keep sharing,
keep reminding. When someone says "No", it is next opportunity; if we feel
like we have come to the end, remember, Effort never Dies. And, if we feel
like all is failing, remember, first attempt in learning. If we keep these
acronyms in mind as we build the Federation with fundraisers, membership,
education and awareness, we don't ever have to give up. Keep believing,
never let opportunities pass us by as we share our philosophy and our
mission and with love, hope and determination, we can build the NFB of SC!

Things to Know

We have a lot going on this week in the Palmetto affiliate. Marriott
fundraiser drawing will be held this Thursday, November 18 at 6:00 PM
Eastern on the Federation zoom platform. Also, our Rocky Bottom online
auction is live. Please see further in the PN for more information. If you
are a board member of NFB of SC or Rocky Bottom, please make arrangements to
attend our Christmas board retreat. Chapter and division presidents and past
NFB of SC presidents, get your information in to Thom Spittle and david
Houck. Additional members that wish to attend, your information is requested
by November 24. See further information in the PN. Please pay close
attention to our fundraisers and our give back project listed below along
with an announcement about our statewide seminar on January 8 at the
Federation Center. Finally, there are multiple ways to participate in
Braille nationally and in our affiliate. Let's get those fingers moving!

Condolence

We express our condolences to the family of Bobby Anderson, a long time
member of the Rock Hill  chapter who passed away on Sunday. Please keep this
family in your thoughts and prayers.

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

We are approaching our final days with our Marriott fundraiser benefitting
the NFB of SC. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at $500 to be used by
September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during Palmetto Connects on
November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for $25. I am excited about
this opportunity to win a vacation and support the NFB of SC as I have
purchased 24 tickets. Please join me with your donation to the NFB of SC!
Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need tickets.
You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC
29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for
a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our
community will enjoy!

29          Sumter Chapter

79          Columbia Chapter

12          At Large Chapter

6           Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

13          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

  3          Rock Hill Chapter

  3          Anderson Chapter

  6          Greenville Chapter

  10        Cherokee Chapter

  9          Charleston Chapter

193 total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

Statewide Seminar, January 8, 2022

The 2022 statewide seminar will be held January 8 at the Federation Center
in Columbia from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM Eastern. Both Rocky Bottom Board and
NFB of SC will have their board meetings between 12:15 and 1:45. If you plan
to attend in person, please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 so we know how
many to plan for our free lunch. I am hopeful that all leaders including
chapter and division presidents along with board members will attend in
person. If you plan to sell items during the statewide seminar as
fundraisers, please let me know so I can add to the next Positive Note.

Shoes for a Cause

We will be collecting new and gently used shoes during this holiday season.
Please drop off or send to the Federation Center. Children's shoes will be
given to Sole Stepping, an organization that provides shoes to children in
need in schools. The lady that drives this nonprofit is and orientation and
mobility instructor based in Lexington, SC. Adult shoes will be given to
adults reentering the workforce. Shoes can be new or gently used; if you
plan to donate socks, please insure the are new. There is a box a the
Federation Center for these items. We will plan to take photos of the
donations. You may also bring to the Rocky Bottom Christmas board retreat if
you plan to attend. We will plan to present to Kara Jefferson during the
week of December 20.

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form
on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill
out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you
provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the
form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use
steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com <mailto:steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com>  in the
Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the
Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the
NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button.

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available.

You may also send checks payable to NFB of SC to the Federation Center, 119
S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please remember your membership is
not complete unless we have an electronic submission of your membership and
payment. If you send in a check with your membership information, please
note, someone from the membership committee will contact you to assist in
completing the form online.

If you are a chapter or division president or serve on a board, it is
vitally important that your dues are received no later than December 31 to
remain in your leadership role. We have to lead by example.

Please remember dues should be received by December 31, 2021.

Thank you to those that have submitted their membership form and dues for
2022.

Fusion, JAWS or Zoom Text

The Computer Science & Technology Division would like to thank Freedom
Scientific for donating an annual license for a division fundraiser!

The winner will receive a copy of an annual license for their choice of
Fusion, Zoom Text or JAWS! Please help support the CSTD by purchasing one or
more tickets.  Prices are one  for $3 or two tickets for $5. The winning
ticket will be drawn on January 8, 2022 at the NFB of SC Statewide Seminar.

To purchase, go to the Computer Science & Technology Division's PayPal at
the below link. Be sure to include the following information when purchasing
your tickets: Name, phone number and number of tickets purchased.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Remember, we are entering the season of giving and gifting.  You won't have
to wait on a shipment to arrive to give this chance to win.

The Computer Science & Technology Division greatly appreciates your support!

Fundraiser Columbia Chapter

Thank you to Andrew Adams who donated the iPad to the Columbia Chapter to
use for a fund raiser.

Would you like a chance to win an 9th generation, 10.2 64 gig iPad? Well
here is your opportunity! The Columbia Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC is having a fund raiser! This would make a great Christmas
gift for someone or yourself!

We will draw the winners name at our December 9, 2021 Chapter meeting.
Tickets are only $5 each or 3 for $10! When purchasing tickets via secure
Pay Pal at the below link. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
You will need to use the Pay Pal button for the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Sports and Rec Fun

Sports and Rec will be hosting a trivia night Friday January 21st at 8 p.m.
on the NFB zoom line

Sports and Rec will be doing a fundraiser during state wide seminar. Anyone
in person or on zoom can contribute and enjoy this fun ever.

Our fundraiser will be giving away one maybe two honken big fun boxes. Both
will have all kinds of games, crafts, kitchen items, gardening items home
improvement items exercise items etc.

The fundraiser is $5 per person and what it'll be is each person randomly
picks a sealed envelope that has 5 random brailed playing cards in them.
Each person who contributes $5 will pick their own envelope and towards end
of seminar we the Sports Rec will collect the envelopes open them and take
out the five playing cards.

How to win well the envelops have 5 cards and it's poker so the best five
card hand wins. There's no switching of cards or envelopes between people.
Each envelope that a person picks will have their name placed on envelope
braille and written. NO ONE knows what cards are in what envelopes.

There's no work on your part just contribute $5 and watch us the Sports and
Rec go through and determine the winners.

It'll be so much fun come one come all. If your attending in person then
I'll be there if your attending via zoom you can still be part of
fundraiser. Let's us know that you want an envelope and we will have a
random person pick a random envelope and put your name on it. We can take
cash, check, PayPal. we'll just any type of payment. Hahaha lol.

David Rebocho

President

Sports/Rec Division

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, November 18

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, November 18 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC! Please remember we will be drawing the winner
of the Marriott fundraiser.

RBRCCB Online Auction

Hi Friends of Rocky Bottom,

Our Fall Online Auction is underway. We have over 40 items available to bid
on, with a wide range of starting bids.

On Wednesday, November 17 and Friday November 19 from 7pm to 8pm on the
Federation Zoom platform, we invite you to ask questions about the various
items. I will go through some of the auction items, letting you know what is
a hot item and what deals may still be available.

Remember, the proceeds of this online auction will help Rocky Bottom get
through the winter months and purchase materials to upgrade the camp in
preparation for a great 2022 year.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 803-331-3344.

Thom Spittle

Chairman

Rocky Bottom Christmas Board Retreat

We are just over three weeks away from this year's Rocky Bottom Christmas
board retreat which will be held December 3rd through December 5, 2021 at
our Rocky Bottom campus. The board meetings will be held on Saturday,
December 4, 2021 in person and virtually through the Rocky Bottom Zoom
platform.

This year, the board of directors have decided to extend an invitation to
more than board members to attend in person. Anyone interested in attending
in person should call Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344. In person attendees are
required to send proof of vaccination to David Houck at the Federation
Center at nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> . Only vaccinated
individuals will be allowed to attend in person.

Accommodations will be extended to board members of the NFBofSC state board
and members of the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors first. Chapter and
division presidents and past NFBofSC presidents will be given second
priority, followed by committee chairpersons, then NFBofSC members.

All requests must be called in by November 24, 2021.

Meals will again be prepared by Lenora Robertson and her awesome kitchen
crew. 3 meals will be provided on Saturday, and a breakfast to go will be
available on Sunday. On Saturday evening there will be a celebration of our
accomplishments, and a gift exchange. In the past, people have brought up
delicious desserts. But this year, still being cautious of the pandemic,
please bring a store bought dessert. Our kitchen staff will package and
distribute them in a safe manner.

Rocky Bottom will supply the linens and towels for this weekend.

Please make your reservations early. Those that need dietary or handicap
rooms, please let us know when you make your reservation.

Details of the gift exchange and the agenda and zoom information will be
sent out at a later date.

We hope to hear from you,

Thom Spittle

Chairman

Board of Directors

Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center of the Blind.

803-331-3344

RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com <mailto:RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com>

Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

>From the Braille Literacy Committee

"Do YOU read Braille (even if it isn't very fast, mind you) and do YOU like
prizes? Do YOU want to help your NFB district read its way to absolute
victory and state-wide bragging rights? If so, then YOU need to register for
the National affiliate Braille Readers are Leaders contest! There will also
be state affiliate incentives for everyone that registers for the national
contest, so you will be getting DOUBLE the reward and DOUBLE the fun! Keep
your ears ready for further info and reach out to Jamie or Shelley if you're
"game" to join in! Let's get those fingers moving!"

Santa Letters

>From NFB National

We are getting more Braille into the hands of blind and low-vision
children-introducing the improved Santa Letter and Winter Celebration
Program of the National Federation of the Blind. Each year, for many years
now, elves at the National Federation of the Blind have been Santa's helpers
in sending out Braille letters to children all around the country. This
year, we are expanding our program to have a winter themed Braille letter
for those who do not celebrate Christmas.

We are providing both letters and the activities to go along with them in
English and Spanish
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23517&qid=6269179> . Wouldn't your
child, grandchild, or student love to receive a Braille letter in the mail
during the winter break? The letters and activities provided in the
celebration packet are in print as well for sighted family members and
friends.

All you need to do is visit
https://nfb.org/program-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23527&qid=6269179>  and complete the
request form. The program is now open. The letters and celebration packets
will be sent out in December. Requests will be open until December 17.

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

Below are the events scheduled this week for the NFB of SC. Chairs and
co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on the list
serv before your meeting. If you are interested in a committee, please feel
free to join the meeting. Final committee members for each committee will be
released after November's meetings to give everyone an idea of what
committees they are passionate about and willing to commit time and effort
to build the NFB of SC.

Monday, November 15, 2021

Membership and Outreach 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Public Relations and Social Media 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Senior Division 2:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom, drawing for Marriott
fundraiser and more

Florence Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Friday, November 19, 2021

Trivia Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Email Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  if you
want to participate!

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Tech Training 10:00 AM Federation Center Zoom

10:00

Malaya Reece will be discussing the Android operating system, accessibility
and apps.

11:00

General questions pertaining to technology

Cherokee Chapter 10:00 AM

Conference Call in #: 1-605-475-4120 Access code: 6524057

Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

Joke of the Week

What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its
diameter?

A pumpkin pie

Fascinating Fact of the Week

The 100 folds of a chef's hat represent 100 ways to cook an egg.

Final Thought

If you fail, never give up because f.a.i.l. means "first attempt in
learning"; end is not the end; in fact, e.n.d. means "effort never dies"; if
you get no as an answer, remember no means "next opportunity" ".

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>