[NFBofSC] Scholarship Program

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 18:27:58 UTC 2021

Scholarship Program

The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is the
largest of its kind in the nation. Every year, we award more than $120,000
to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional
aspirations.

Ten years ago I unexpectedly lost my sight after graduating from college. My
journey since then has included teaching myself how to read Braille,
volunteering with seniors, providing health education to youth in a clinic,
and most recently leading a team in a statewide program addressing the
opioid epidemic. With a master's in public health from UC Berkeley, I plan
to improve accessibility and promote equity within healthcare systems and in
health policy. Thank you so much for this opportunity and investment in my
future. - Sherry Pablo, 2020 Scholarship Finalist

Thanks to our
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-progr
am/scholarship-partners> generous partners, there are thirty merit-based
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-progr
am/scholarships> scholarships currently available, ranging from $3,000 to
$12,000. All scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence,
community service, and leadership. The finalists are announced every spring.
They then attend our  <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>
national convention in July when the winners of each individual scholarship
are selected. Scholarship winners have gone on to succeed in careers ranging
from computer science and engineering to civil rights law and international
diplomacy.

How to Apply

Applications will open December 1, 2021.

Eligibility

The following requirements apply to all applicants:

*	Must be
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/confirmation-of-legal-blindness.pd
f> legally blind (PDF) in both eyes.
*	Must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or
Puerto Rico.
*	Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, post-secondary
course of study in a degree program at a U.S. institution in the fall of the
year of application (one scholarship may be given to a person employed
full-time while attending school part-time).
*	Must participate in the entire NFB National Convention and in all of
its scheduled scholarship program activities (finalists will receive
assistance to attend the national convention).

For more information regarding eligibility, we strongly encourage you to
review our
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-progr
am/scholarship-program-faqs> scholarship program FAQs.

https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-progra

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
SC

President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4awrn7eddQ&t=16s> Click here to view the
National Federation of the Blind of SC 2021 PSA!

 <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> www.carshelpingtheblind.org
or call 855 659 9314