[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1841

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Nov 22 12:18:40 UTC 2021

November 22, 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1841

803-960-9977  Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

              Greetings Fellow Federationists:

We are entering some would say a joyous time of year; for others, it is the
hardest, most dismal time of year. For many, the holidays bring sadness and
a sense of loss and loneliness. As we celebrate Thanksgiving, please
remember those who need our love and kindness and support even more this
time of year. Text, call or even send a card to let them know you are
thinking of them.

I want to thank all of you for your hard work, your dedication to this
organization, your passion for helping the blind of the Palmetto state, and
your belief in doing what's right in the eye of adversity. As affiliate
president, it is so hard at times to make decisions that will please
everyone and that will never happen, to please everyone. Being president of
this affiliate is rewarding and at times, super challenging and can be
stressful. To be responsible for the affiliate, its divisions and chapters,
committees and members is a huge undertaking. I have enjoyed it. With the
triumphs, there are challenges; with joy, there is sadness; with praise,
there is pouncing; with happiness, there is hardship; with can, there is
cannot; with unity, there is division; with truth, there is deception; with
healing, there is hurt. I pray that each of you know that it brings me great
joy to work with each of you, no matter the trials, no matter the triumphs.
I hope you know that sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes, I say the wrong
things, sometimes, I do the wrong things, just like all of us. I am not
perfect and never will be. If I strive for perfection, I may land in
excellence. And, you as well. I hope you know that being the affiliate
president isn't easy, but it is rewarding and fills my heart with joy to
know we are doing awesome things in this affiliate. Our work isn't done, we
have more to do, more people to reach, but our intentions are good to be the
best we can be. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to walk alongside of
you. Thank you for helping me up when I fail. Thank you for supporting me,
even if, it is hard at times. Thank you for giving me a chance to lead with
authenticity, integrity and passion. Thank you for insuring that I am the
best leader I can be. Thank you for being a friend.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Here are  several fun facts about Thanksgiving to share around the dinner
table.

*	The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621 over a three day
harvest festival. It included 50 Pilgrims, 90 Wampanoag Indians, and lasted
three days. It is believed by historians that only five women were present.
*	Turkey wasn't on the menu at the first Thanksgiving. Venison, duck,
goose, oysters, lobster, eel, and fish were likely served, alongside
pumpkins and cranberries (but not pumpkin pie or cranberry sauce!). And now,
90%  of all  Americans eat turkey whether roasted, fried or baked.
*	Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday on
October 3, 1863. Sarah Josepha Hale, the woman who wrote "Mary Had A Little
Lamb," convinced Lincoln to make Thanksgiving a national holiday after
writing letters for 17 years.
*	The history of U.S. presidents pardoning turkeys is patchy. Harry
Truman is often credited with being the first president to pardon a turkey,
but that's not quite true. He was the first to receive a ceremonial turkey
from the National Turkey Federation - and he had it for dinner. John F.
Kennedy was the first to let a Thanksgiving turkey go, followed by Richard
Nixon who sent his turkey to a petting zoo. George H.W. Bush is the
president who formalized the turkey pardoning tradition in 1989.
*	There are four towns in the United States named "Turkey." They can
be found in Arizona,  <https://worldstrides.com/programs-and-tours/texas/>
Texas,  <https://worldstrides.com/programs-and-tours/louisiana/> Louisiana,
and North Carolina.
*	The average number of calories consumed on Thanksgiving is 4,500.
*	Butterball answers more than 100,000 turkey-cooking questions via
their Butterball Turkey Hotline each November and December.
*	The tradition of football on Thanksgiving began in 1876 with a game
between Yale and Princeton. The first NFL games were played on Thanksgiving
in 1920.
*	More than 54 million Americans are expected to travel during the
Thanksgiving holiday this year. That's up 4.8% from last year.

Benjamin Franklin wished the turkey was the national bird.

The first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade had Central Park Zoo animals.

Snoopy has made the most appearances in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Sarah Josepha Hale was actually the "Mother of Thanksgiving."

The first professional Thanksgiving Day football game was played in 1920.

Thanksgiving was once celebrated on the third Thursday in November.

Butterball has had a Turkey Talk-Line open for nearly 40 years.

Each year, about 46 million turkeys are cooked.

The turkey's tryptophan doesn't actually make you tired.

The majority of Americans secretly dislike classic Thanksgiving dishes but
will eat them anyway.

Many people enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers more than the meal itself.

TV dinners are a Thanksgiving-leftover invention.

President George H. W. Bush was the first to pardon a turkey.

President Calvin Coolidge was the first to pardon a raccoon in relation to
Thanksgiving.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is known as "Drinksgiving."

Black Friday, aka the day after Thanksgiving, is the busiest day for
plumbers.

The turkey bird is actually linked to the country of Turkey.

              Marriott Fundraiser Winner

Congratulations to Shelley Coppel, the winner of our Marriott fundraiser for
two nights at the North Charleston Marriott to be used by September 1, 2022.
We hope you have a great time! Congratulations to the Columbia chapter who
sold the most tickets! I want to thank all of you, all chapters and
divisions and those out of state who participated in our fundraiser! We
appreciate your support of the Palmetto affiliate!

Statewide Seminar, January 8, 2022

The 2022 statewide seminar will be held January 8 at the Federation Center
in Columbia from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM Eastern. The statewide seminar is
like a mini one day convention where we will hear from chapters, divisions,
committees and more about their events in the Palmetto affiliate. It is a
time to come together, meet new friends, reunite with old friends. We hope
to see you there! Both Rocky Bottom Board and NFB of SC will have their
board meetings between 12:15 and 1:45. If you plan to attend in person,
please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 so we know how many to plan for our
free lunch. I am hopeful that all leaders including chapter and division
presidents along with board members will attend in person. If you plan to
sell items during the statewide seminar as fundraisers, please let me know
so I can add to the next Positive Note.

Shoes for a Cause

We will be collecting new and gently used shoes during this holiday season.
Please drop off or send to the Federation Center. Children's shoes will be
given to Sole Stepping, an organization that provides shoes to children in
need in schools. The lady that drives this nonprofit is and orientation and
mobility instructor based in Lexington, SC. Adult shoes will be given to
adults reentering the workforce. Shoes can be new or gently used; if you
plan to donate socks, please insure the are new. There is a box a the
Federation Center for these items. We will plan to take photos of the
donations. You may also bring to the Rocky Bottom Christmas board retreat if
you plan to attend. We will plan to present to Kara Jefferson during the
week of December 20. This will be an ongoing give back project as children
in schools always need shoes and please remember, children can wear adult
shoes. My 11 year old son already wears a size nine in mens! We hope that
you will remember shoes for a cause when you no longer need a pair of gently
used shoes or when you see sales of socks or shoes! Thank you for helping
give back to those in need!

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form
on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill
out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you
provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the
form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  in the Email field. Once you
click on the submit button, you are taken to the Donations page in which you
can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate secure Pay Pal button. Remember you must fill out the new form and
the $10 state dues in order to complete the process for your 2022 dues!

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available.

Also, just a reminder that dues are due by December 31, 2021. Also, if you
sign up on the NFB national site, that is awesome, you will receive your
welcome coin and packet, but please remember, you must also sign up on

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

as a member of our Palmetto affiliate.

We Care Committee Collecting Gift Cards for Blind Children

We Care Committee is providing gift cards for blind children for Christmas.
Their goal is at least 15 children at $25 per gift card. Please contact
Dorothy Barksdale by November 30 if you wish to donate. You may pay pal the
money to NFB of SC on our website, give to David Houck at the Center with We
Care children's Christmas labeled or you may speak with Dorothy for other
ways to contribute.

Technology List Serv

There have been some new people join the NFB of SC list serve and do not
know about our "Let's Talk Tech" list serve. You can join this list serve by
sending a message to the below Email address and put subscribe in the
subject field. You can ask any type of technology question on this list
serve. There will be messages pertaining to technology shared on this list
serve.

LetsTalkTech+subscribe at groups.io <mailto:LetsTalkTech+subscribe at groups.io>

Anderson Chapter Christmas Party

The Anderson chapter of the NFB of SC will hold its annual Christmas party
on Friday, December 3rd at 6PM. The event will be held at the Hilton Garden
Inn located at 115 Destination Blvd., Anderson SC 29621. A catered meal will
be served and the cost is $17. We will have a gift exchange, so attendees
are asked to bring a gift if they are able. For more information or to RSVP,
contact chapter president Demetrius Williford at (864) 328-8177 or email
santez1981 at gmail.com <mailto:santez1981 at gmail.com> .

Shop from Home

The Lee County Chapter of the NFB of SC is now taking orders for your
customized holiday gifts. Items include NFB logo candy bars, edible
footballs, basketball goals, racecars, bowling balls and pins, golf clubs,
high heel shoes,  and many more. Also personalized t-shirts, caps, hoodies,
sleep bonnet, and sleep shades, umbrellas, hair bows, socks, caps, earmuffs
and more. You may personalize these gifts with colors of your choice.
Imagine having your loved ones' names, chapter names and more. We also make
scripture coffee mugs and other drinkware. Contact Linda Dizzley at
803-459-4585 by phone or text for pricing or other information.

Fusion, JAWS or Zoom Text

The Computer Science & Technology Division would like to thank Freedom
Scientific for donating an annual license for a division fundraiser!

The winner will receive a copy of an annual license for their choice of
Fusion, Zoom Text or JAWS! Please help support the CSTD by purchasing one or
more tickets.  Prices are one  for $3 or two tickets for $5. The winning
ticket will be drawn on January 8, 2022 at the NFB of SC Statewide Seminar.

To purchase, go to the Computer Science & Technology Division's PayPal at
the below link. Be sure to include the following information when purchasing
your tickets: Name, phone number and number of tickets purchased.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Remember, we are entering the season of giving and gifting.  You won't have
to wait on a shipment to arrive to give this chance to win.

The Computer Science & Technology Division greatly appreciates your support!

Fundraiser Columbia Chapter

Thank you to Andrew Adams who donated the iPad to the Columbia Chapter to
use for a fund raiser.

Would you like a chance to win an 9th generation, 10.2 64 gig iPad? Well
here is your opportunity! The Columbia Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC is having a fund raiser! This would make a great Christmas
gift for someone or yourself!

We will draw the winners name at our December 9, 2021 Chapter meeting.
Tickets are only $5 each or 3 for $10! When purchasing tickets via secure
Pay Pal at the below link. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
You will need to use the Pay Pal button for the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Sports and Rec Fun

Sports and Rec will be hosting a trivia night Friday January 21st at 8 p.m.
on the NFB zoom line

Sports and Rec will be doing a fundraiser during state wide seminar. Anyone
in person or on zoom can contribute and enjoy this fun ever.

Our fundraiser will be giving away one maybe two honken big fun boxes. Both
will have all kinds of games, crafts, kitchen items, gardening items home
improvement items exercise items etc.

The fundraiser is $5 per person and what it'll be is each person randomly
picks a sealed envelope that has 5 random brailed playing cards in them.
Each person who contributes $5 will pick their own envelope and towards end
of seminar we the Sports Rec will collect the envelopes open them and take
out the five playing cards.

How to win well the envelops have 5 cards and it's poker so the best five
card hand wins. There's no switching of cards or envelopes between people.
Each envelope that a person picks will have their name placed on envelope
braille and written. NO ONE knows what cards are in what envelopes.

There's no work on your part just contribute $5 and watch us the Sports and
Rec go through and determine the winners.

It'll be so much fun come one come all. If your attending in person then
I'll be there if your attending via zoom you can still be part of
fundraiser. Let's us know that you want an envelope and we will have a
random person pick a random envelope and put your name on it. We can take
cash, check, PayPal. we'll just any type of payment. Hahaha lol.

David Rebocho

President

Sports/Rec Division

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, December 2

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, December 2 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC!

Rocky Bottom Christmas Board Retreat

We are just over two weeks away from this year's Rocky Bottom Christmas
board retreat which will be held December 3rd through December 5, 2021 at
our Rocky Bottom campus. The board meetings will be held on Saturday,
December 4, 2021 in person and virtually through the Rocky Bottom Zoom
platform.

This year, the board of directors have decided to extend an invitation to
more than board members to attend in person. Anyone interested in attending
in person should call Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344. In person attendees are
required to send proof of vaccination to David Houck at the Federation
Center at nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> . Only vaccinated
individuals will be allowed to attend in person.

Accommodations will be extended to board members of the NFBofSC state board
and members of the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors first. Chapter and
division presidents and past NFBofSC presidents will be given second
priority, followed by committee chairpersons, then NFBofSC members.

All requests must be called in by November 24, 2021.

Meals will again be prepared by Lenora Robertson and her awesome kitchen
crew. 3 meals will be provided on Saturday, and a breakfast to go will be
available on Sunday. On Saturday evening there will be a celebration of our
accomplishments, and a gift exchange. In the past, people have brought up
delicious desserts. But this year, still being cautious of the pandemic,
please bring a store bought dessert. Our kitchen staff will package and
distribute them in a safe manner.

Rocky Bottom will supply the linens and towels for this weekend.

Please make your reservations early. Those that need dietary or handicap
rooms, please let us know when you make your reservation.

Details of the gift exchange and the agenda and zoom information will be
sent out at a later date.

We hope to hear from you,

Thom Spittle

Chairman

Board of Directors

Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center of the Blind.

803-331-3344

RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com <mailto:RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com>

Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

>From the Braille Literacy Committee

"Do YOU read Braille (even if it isn't very fast, mind you) and do YOU like
prizes? Do YOU want to help your NFB district read its way to absolute
victory and state-wide bragging rights? If so, then YOU need to register for
the National affiliate Braille Readers are Leaders contest! There will also
be state affiliate incentives for everyone that registers for the national
contest, so you will be getting DOUBLE the reward and DOUBLE the fun! Keep
your ears ready for further info and reach out to Jamie or Shelley if you're
"game" to join in! Let's get those fingers moving!"

Santa Letters

>From NFB National

We are getting more Braille into the hands of blind and low-vision
children-introducing the improved Santa Letter and Winter Celebration
Program of the National Federation of the Blind. Each year, for many years
now, elves at the National Federation of the Blind have been Santa's helpers
in sending out Braille letters to children all around the country. This
year, we are expanding our program to have a winter themed Braille letter
for those who do not celebrate Christmas.

We are providing both letters and the activities to go along with them in
English and Spanish. Wouldn't your child, grandchild, or student love to
receive a Braille letter in the mail during the winter break? The letters
and activities provided in the celebration packet are in print as well for
sighted family members and friends.

All you need to do is visit
https://nfb.org/program-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters
and complete the request form. The program is now open. The letters and
celebration packets will be sent out in December. Requests will be open
until December 17.

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

Below are the events scheduled this week for the NFB of SC. Chairs and
co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on the list
serv before your meeting. If you are interested in a committee, please feel
free to join the meeting. Final committee members for each committee will be
released after November's meetings to give everyone an idea of what
committees they are passionate about and willing to commit time and effort
to build the NFB of SC. If you have decided on the committee or committees
you wish to join now that two months of meeting have be held, please email
or call me so that you name is added to the official committee list. Thank
you!

Monday, November 22, 2021

Doing our fair share committee 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Diversity and Inclusion Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

Joke of the Week

"Why did they let the turkey join the band?" "Because he had his own
drumsticks."

Fascinating Fact of the Week

"Jingle Bells" was originally a Thanksgiving song.

Final Thought

"Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation,
sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly
appreciate those around you, and you'll soon find many others around you.
Truly appreciate life, and you'll find that you have more of it." -Ralph
Marston

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>