[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 11/22/2021

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 00:22:32 UTC 2021

Dear Federation Family,

*News:*

*Attend December Presidential Release:*

The December Presidential Release will take place December 2, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put
PR511 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Zoom details and more ways to access are available.
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=461>

*Draft Code of Conduct Open Meeting with Blind Survivors Group:*

As announced at the November Presidential Release <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>,
the National Federation of the Blind is seeking feedback on the most recent. The comment period for the draft Code of Conduct <https://nfb.org/draftcode> will conclude at noon eastern time on Thursday, December 2, 2021. The Blind Survivors Group is hosting an open meeting on Sunday, November 28, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, to review and receive feedback. The Zoom ID for the open meeting is 2023132945 <https://zoom.us/j/2023132945>.

*Department of Justice and Uber: Share Your Experience regarding Wait-Time
Fees:*

Related to its recent lawsuit against Uber <https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-uber-overcharging-people-disabilities>,
the US Department of Justice (DOJ) is gathering information from individuals with disabilities who have been charged wait-time fees by Uber.
If you have been charged a wait-time fee, please contact DOJ at uber.fee at usdoj.gov, 833-591-0425 (toll-free), or 202-305-6786. If you have a copy of your Uber receipt detailing the wait-time fee, please include this with your outreach to DOJ. For more information about DOJ’s lawsuit, visit https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-uber-overcharging-people-disabilities
.

*Audio Descriptions: Squid Game:*

The National Federation of the Blind regularly meets with Netflix to provide insights and feedback on their programs and services. At a recent meeting, we requested that English audio descriptions be added for*Squid Game*, a popular 2021 series produced in South Korea, and they delivered.
Netflix’s stated policy has been to provide audio description only in the program’s original language, but our feedback has led to reconsideration in this case and others. We thank Netflix for their commitment to inclusion by working with the nation’s blind.

*Accessible Kiosk Walkthrough:*

During the NFB Board of Directors meeting at the 2021 National Convention, a clip of a McDonald's kiosk walkthrough was presented. The full demonstration is available on our YouTube for review:
https://youtu.be/plPB9YzR8lQ. Please comment with your experiences.

*Register for Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:*

Registration is now open for the 2021-2022 Braille Readers Are Leaders contest, administered by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults in partnership with the National Federation of the Blind. The competition is open to blind children and adults and this year, there is a refresh to the contest criteria. The contest starts December 1. Details on how to sign up and important dates can be found at https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders.

*Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act Introduced in US
Senate:*

On Thursday, November 18, Senators Bob Casey (D-PA) and Steve Daines
(R-MT) introduced
the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act in the Senate <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-transformation-competitive-0>
 (S. 3238). Sheila Leigland, an active NFB member from Montana and a constituent of Senator Daines, is featured in a video promoting the legislation on Senator Daines’s official Senate website <https://www.daines.senate.gov/news/videos/watch/sen-daines-bipartisan-bill-is-a-game-changer-for-disabled-community>.
Please contact your senators and urge them to cosponsor S. 3238, and contact your representative to urge them to cosponsor the House companion, H.R. 2373.

*Comments to the National Institute of Standards and Technology Regarding Accessible Voting:*

On October 21, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) published a request for information regarding an upcoming report on recommendations for promoting access to voting for people with disabilities. We submitted our comments today and will have them on the policy statements page <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> of our website soon.

*Grant Program to Incentivize States to End Subminimum Wages in Build Back Better Act:*

On November 19, the House passed the Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376). The bill includes language that would create a grant program to incentivize states to transition employees with disabilities from subminimum wage employment to competitive integrated employment. While this provision is helpful, we still need to focus our efforts on passing the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238).

*In the News: Share USA Today Article:*

The following recent *USA Today* article, “‘I am not my blindness': What the blind community wishes you knew,” features President Mark Riccobono.
Please share through National Federation of the Blind affiliate communications channels.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/health-wellness/2021/11/17/what-blind-visually-impaired-people-wish-you-knew/8637271002/

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - December 1: NFB Scholarship Program <https://nfb.org/scholarships> applications
   open
   - December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 5-10, 2022: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his