[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1837

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Oct 25 10:35:49 UTC 2021

October 25, 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1837

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

I have some thoughts about what it means to be a Federationist.  This has
been weighing on my mind for a while.  I hope I have conveyed in the
following the intent of my thoughts.

If the Federation is near and dear to your heart, why do some members come
to one meeting a year just to vote, but never the eleven other meetings
during the year?  Why only give suggestions or criticisms, but not be
willing to help make things better? Why only complain but not be actively
involved in committees, chapters, divisions, or groups? Why pick and choose
chapter or division members who get called and reminded of a meeting or a
special event, and conveniently forget about those who may not agree with
our views, who frustrate us, or who we don't think  are cool? As leaders,
officers, and members, why don't We promptly return calls, emails, or texts?
It is great that we have fun in our chapters and divisions, but why do we
often lose sight of doing the work of the Federation?  During our meetings,
we should be focusing on explaining and demonstrating the NFB philosophy,
planning ways to advance the quality of lives of the blind, and sharing news
about local, state and national NFB activities. Why do we want so badly to
hold office  to have a title, but then not actively and consistently
participate? What good is the title, if those holding it aren't willing to
also put in the hard work to build the Federation?

In Luke 12:48, it  states, "From everyone who has been given much, much will
be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more
will be asked."  I say these things not to lambast anyone, but as a call to
arms for us all to step up our game.  Let's all put in the time, the work,
the sweat equity, elbow grease, late nights, early mornings.  Let's show up
to meetings and activities, not just because we want to be there, but
because it is what is asked of us as Federationists.  Let's build our
friendships with one another, so when conflict does arise, we can address it
in a positive, thoughtful way, come to a resolution, and continue on the
road toward success.  Let's show others in our cities, counties, states, and
nation that we are a unified movement that can support our members, carry
out our plans, and still power on to do the work we have chosen to do.  We
each have paid our dues to be a member.  No one has forced us to do so.  If
we are moved enough to become a member, let's put the work into it, so we
are making the most of the time we have together and to learn about the many
and varied things this awesome organization has in store.

Keep your word; live with authenticity, integrity and passion. Don't let
others steal your joy. Have high expectations for yourself and others. Be a
light in someone else's darkness. I am asking all of us to show up, step up,
and rise up.  Let's go build the National Federation of the Blind!

Who are We? NFB of SC!

I am excited to continue to learn about each of you and share your
interests, stories, goals, and your passion with our Federation family in
the Palmetto State. In this section, I will ask a question each week to get
to know you and for our Federation family to get to know you. Reflections
will be shared in future issues of the Positive Note and the Palmetto Blind.
I look forward to your contributions.

The question this week:

Why does the NFB of SC need you? A few weeks ago, I asked, why do you need
the Federation. This week, why does the Federation need you? What do you
offer, bring to the table? What talents, strengths do you offer? Why does
the Federation need you?

Please email your responses to:

Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com>

If you do not have email or not comfortable with technology, please call or
text me at 803-960-9977 so that I may capture your responses as well.

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form
on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill
out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you
provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the
form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use
steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com <mailto:steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com>  in the
Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the
Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the
NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button.

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available.

Please remember dues should be received by December 31, 2021.

Thank you to those that have submitted their membership form and dues for
2022.

Submissions Wanted for The Palmetto Blind

The Palmetto Blind will be released in December. If you wish to contribute
an article, submissions are due no later than November 30, 2021. Please note
submissions may be edited for brevity. Please submit submissions to

Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com>

If you have a suggestion for the Palmetto Blind, please let me know.

Fundraiser Columbia Chapter

Thank you to Andrew Adams who donated the iPad to the Columbia Chapter to
use for a fund raiser.

Would you like a chance to win an 9th generation, 10.2 64 gig iPad? Well
here is your opportunity! The Columbia Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC is having a fund raiser! This would make a great Christmas
gift for someone or yourself!

We will draw the winners name at our December 9, 2021 Chapter meeting.
Tickets are only $5 each or 3 for $10! When purchasing tickets via secure
Pay Pal at the below link. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
You will need to use the Pay Pal button for the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Bingo Fundraiser Postponed Until next Year!

The fundraising committee has postponed the Bingo fundraiser until next
year. Stay tuned for more fundraisers by this awesome committee!

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, October 28,

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, October 28 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC!

October Friday Night Schedule of Events for the NFB of SC

In October, Friday night turns into Fright Night Friday! Below is a schedule
of the events for Friday night. All movies will be audio described! Please
share with others that do not have access to the NFB of SC list serve!

Friday, October 29, 2021 at 8:00 PM Eastern Hocus Pocus

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of
SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at
$500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during
Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for
$25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need
tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for
a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our
community will enjoy!

29          Sumter Chapter

10          Columbia Chapter

12          At Large Chapter

6           Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

11          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

  3          Rock Hill Chapter

  3          Anderson Chapter

  6          Greenville Chapter

  10        Cherokee

110 total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

RBRCCB Fall Festival Ticket Sales and Online Auction

We will be having our annual online auction to raise money for Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind RBRCCB beginning Saturday October
30, 2021 and will conclude a week later. We would love your help and
collecting new items to donate to our online auction. We raised over $9,000
last year. We are hoping to increase those proceeds this fall! Please mail
and drop off new items at the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205. Please include a description of the item(s), value of
the item and the contributor.

We are asking all chapters and divisions along with the Rocky Bottom Board
members to contribute at least $25.00 so that items can be purchased. You
may mail a check made to RBRCCB and send to the center at 119 S. Kilbourne
Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or pay pal on the Rocky Bottom site at

www.rockybottomofsc.com <http://www.rockybottomofsc.com>

Thank you to those chapters, divisions and board members who have made their
donations.

28          Columbia

21          Anderson

92         Suzanne Bryant - RB Resident Manager

100        Sumter Chapter

  20        Tom Bowen

  20        John Todd

160        Lancaster Chapter

110        At Large Chapter

  10        Greenville Chapter

   96       Cherokee Chapter

  77        Rock Hill Chapter

  68        Ted Brewer

  31        Belvedere Chapter

833 total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

Committees 2021-2022

A new schedule of committees on our zoom platform will be released very
soon. These committee meetings should start in October and notes of each
meeting should be sent to me so that I can share with the affiliate what is
happening around our Palmetto state.

All committees should release to the list serv an agenda for each meeting so
that we know what will be discussed.

2021-2022 Committees

We Care: Dorothy Barksdale Chair

Fundraising: Debra Canty and Andrew Adams, Co-chairs

Legislative and Advocacy: anna Price and Elizabeth Rouse, Co-chairs

Public Relations and Social Media: John Williams and Steve Cook, Co-Chairs

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI): Kris Crawley and Derique Simon,
Co-Chairs

Diabetes Action Network (DAN): Melanie Torrance, chair

Grant: Jennifer Bazer, chair

Scholarship: Shannon Coo, Chair

Palmetto Convention Grant: Shannon Cook, chair

Convention Planning: Melinda Jones and Andrew Adams, Co-Chairs

Resolutions: Valerie Warrington and Elizabeth Rouse, Co-Chairs

Employer of the Year: Steve Cook, Chair

Educator of the Year: Marty McKenzie, Chair

Donald C. Capps: David Houck, Chair

Membership and Outreach: David Rebocho and Steve Cook, Co-Chairs

Blind Equality Achievement Month (BEAM) formally known as Meet the Blind:
Demetrius Williford and Roxie Reed, Co-Chairs

Braille Literacy: Shelley Coppel and Jamie Allison, Co-Chairs

Doing Our Fair Share including PAC, SUN and Dream Circle: Frank Coppel,
Chair

Finance: Jennifer Bazer, Chair

Contributing to Banquet Fundraiser

We raised just over $10,000 at our annual banquet fundraiser at the state
convention! I want to thank chapters, divisions and individuals for making
this a success! We could not do it without all of us working together. Names
of those who have contributed and pledged will be listed in future Positive
Notes. If you would like to donate, please make checks payable to NFB of SC
with banquet fundraiser in the memo line and mail to the Federation Center,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also contribute using Pay
Pal on our

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

website. We appreciate you supporting NFB of SC and its programs and
services!

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

Below are the events scheduled this week for the NFB of SC. Chairs and
co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on the list
serv before your meeting. If you are interested in a committee, please feel
free to join the meeting. Final committee members for each committee will be
released after November's meetings to give everyone an idea of what
committees they are passionate about and willing to commit time and effort
to build the NFB of SC.

Monday, October 25, 2021

Doing our fair share 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Frank Coppel

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Sports & Rec Get Fit Session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Diversity and Inclusion 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Kris Crawley and Derique Simon

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Reliving Banquet Speeches 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

Technology Division 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Friday, October 29, 2021

Hocus Pocus Movie Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Sports & Rec Get Fit Session 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

NFB Trivia

*	In what three cities are the NFB
<https://nfb.org/about-us/training-centers> training centers located?

*	Answer: Minneapolis, MN, Ruston, LA, and Denver, CO

Fascinating Facts

Monopoly was developed in 1930 in the U.S. to create a pastime for the
unemployed people during the great depression.

Joke of the Week

What is an astronaut's  favorite place on a computer?

The spacebar

Final Thought

"You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going
to be somebody who hates peaches." -Dita Von Teese

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>