[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1832

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Fri Sep 17 03:39:17 UTC 2021

September 17, 2021

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1832

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

Happy fantastic Friday!

We are releasing this Positive Note on Friday, instead of Monday. David
Houck will be on vacation all of next week. We wish him and Darlene lots of
fun and relaxation. There will be no Positive Note on Monday, September 20
and will resume on Monday, September 27.

I sit on my bed, computer on my lap, it's 11:30 PM Eastern on Thursday
evening. The Positive Note is going out early. The final section to write
is, thoughts for the week, a story of my family and how that relates to the
NFB, something to share with everyone. The quiet of my home envelops me.
Kids are sleeping; the only sound is the whirling of the ceiling fan. What
can I share? What can I write? What will inspire, encourage, uplift, be
remembered? My mind is blank. No words. How many times do you feel this same
way? I don't know what to say? How to react? How to feel? My mind is empty,
absent of thought, just blank? How many times have you been told, you have
to feel something? Think something? Your mind cannot be totally blank? It
seems like a negative thing to have a blank mind, to not  have a thought
about something? Why is that a bad thing? Why are we made to feel this is
silly, crazy, unheard of? So, guess what? I am comfortable saying, I don't
have a thought about that? Nothing comes to mind at this time. And, I am
comfortable expressing to you, I have no profound story, incident, event,
thought to share with you this week, or? Did I just do that without
realizing it? Make it a great week my fellow Federationists!

>From the We Care Committee

Please keep Tim and family in your thoughts and prayers as MS. Evelyn
Gilstrap passed away this week. Retha Mae smith, a member of the Georgetown
chapter, sister of Murylene nelson, sister-in-law of James nelson, Ike,
Anthony, rogers and john, and sister-in-law of Maggie Floyd also passed away
this week. Her services will be held in Georgetown on Saturday, September 18
at 11:00 A.M. Eastern. Cassandra Richardson lost her aunt so please keep her
and her family in your thoughts and prayers. The husband of Christine
Felder, nurse at senior camp, is in the hospital on a ventilator. Please
keep these families in your thoughts and prayers and those that were not
mentioned here but need our prayers.

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, September 30

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, September 30 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC!

Trivia Night

The National Federation of the Blind of SC would like to invite everyone to
Friday Night Trivia on September 17, 2021 at 8:00 PM eastern on the
Federation zoom platform! Below are the categories we will have trivia
questions pertaining to with more to come!

NFB Trivia

Misc

Music

Sports

TV

We are requesting people go ahead and register in order to save time on
Friday. If you wish to participate, please send your name and state you are
currently living to Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com
<mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>

Federation Center 60th Anniversary

Dear Federation Family:

Yes, that's right, there is only four more weeks until the Federation
Center's 60th anniversary Open House from noon until 2 p.m.

We already have RSVP's coming in which includes several Belvedere Chapter
members.  Columbia Chapter members are sending in their intentions to attend
as well.  How about you or your local chapter?  I am certain Debra Canty
will have several coming in from Sumter.  The Federation Center is your
Center.the hub of activity for NFB of SC events, programs, not to mention
assistance for chapters, divisions and Rocky Bottom.  We want to show off
our floor to ceiling renovations, technology, braille, etc.

We want to see you here on Friday, October 15 between 12 noon and 2 p.m. for
our Open House.  I believe we have secured a Master of Ceremonies and our
program is shaping up nicely.  Refreshments will be catered.  Don't miss out
on this very special event!  What Dr. Capps dreamed of six decades ago has
come into fruition and still offers blind South Carolinians much for many
years to come.

Invitations are going out and this is your invitation to join us!

RSVP by calling 803-254-3777 or emailing nfbsc at sc.rr.com
<mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>

David Houck

Executive Director

Ed Bible

Chairman, Board of Trustees

Federation Center of the Blind

Recordings of State Convention

If you would like to go back and listen to pass speakers for the 2021 NFB of
SC State Convention? You can find them at the below link!

https://nfbofsc.org/2021-state-convention-2/

Banquet Speeches, Come Join Us on Monday, September 27 at 8:00 PM Eastern

Have you ever wanted the opportunity to go back and listen to previous
banquet speeches? The National Federation of the Blind of SC will have a
Zoom event beginning on Monday September 27, 2021 at 8:00 PM eastern. Our
first speech we will be reliving is from the 1940 Wilkes-Barre Convention
entitled "Have Our Blind Social Security?"

Some of the banquet speeches are in audio and some or text. We will use JAWS
to read the speeches in text once the speed has been adjusted for everyone's
comfort level.

See you on the Federation zoom room.

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of
SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at
$500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during
Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for
$25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need
tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for
a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our
community will enjoy!

26          Sumter Chapter

  6          Columbia Chapter

3           Lori Corley Blind Vision

12          At Large Chapter

6           Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

  6          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

  3          Rock Hill Chapter

  3          Anderson Chapter

  6          Greenville Chapter

95          total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

RBRCCB Fall Festival Ticket Sales and Online Auction

We will be having our annual online auction to raise money for Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind RBRCCB beginning Saturday October
30, 2021 and will conclude a week later. We would love your help and
collecting new items to donate to our online auction. We raised over $9,000
last year. We are hoping to increase those proceeds this fall! Please mail
and drop off new items at the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205. Please include a description of the item(s), value of
the item and the contributor.

18          Columbia

21          Anderson

84         Suzanne Bryant - RB Resident Manager

100        Sumter Chapter

  20        Tom Bowen

  20        John Todd

  75        Lancaster Chapter

  60        At Large Chapter

  10        Greenville Chapter

408 total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

Committees 2021-2022

Committee chairs and co-chairs will be released in the next Positive Note on
September 27. These committees will begin meeting in the month of October.
Please find a committee or committees that fit your interest and your
strengths and join them. This is the work of the Federation. Please remember
committee notes are to be sent to me at the end of each meeting. I want to
pass information along to the affiliate about what is happening around the
state with committees, chapters and divisions. Also, if I notice similar
items within committees, I may ask you all to partner on various events and
projects. Stronger together; let's build the Federation!

2021-2022 Committees

We Care

Fundraising

Legislative and Advocacy

Public Relations and Social Media

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)

Diabetes Action Network (DAN)

Grant

Scholarship

Palmetto Convention Grant

Convention Planning

Resolutions

Employer of the Year

Educator of the Year

Donald C. Capps

Membership and Outreach

Blind Equality Achievement Month (BEAM) formally known as Meet the Blind

Braille Literacy

Doing Our Fair Share including PAC, SUN and Dream Circle

Finance

Contributing to Banquet Fundraiser

We raised just over $10,000 at our annual banquet fundraiser at the state
convention! I want to thank chapters, divisions and individuals for making
this a success! We could not do it without all of us working together. Names
of those who have contributed and pledged will be listed in future Positive
Notes. If you would like to donate, please make checks payable to NFB of SC
with banquet fundraiser in the memo line and mail to the Federation Center,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also contribute using Pay
Pal on our

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

website. We appreciate you supporting NFB of SC and its programs and
services!

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All
meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Friday, September 17, 2021

Trivia Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Get Fit session with the Sports & Rec 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

Cherokee Chapter Meeting 10:00

Conference Call in #: 1-605-475-4120 Access code: 6524057

CSTD Assistive Technology 10:00 to 12:00

>From 10:00 to 11:00 will be dedicated to a specific subject, then 11:00 to
12:00 will be Q & A Federation Center Zoom

Charleston Chapter Meeting 1:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Monday, September 20, 2021

Membership Committee Meeting 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Get Fit session with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Get Fit session with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

Federation Center

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

Fascinating Facts

Cans of diet soda will float in water but regular soda cans will sink.

Joke of the Week

What did the grape do when it got stepped on?

It let out a little wine.

Final Thought

"What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you have read to the end of this positive Note, what do you feel the NFB
of SC has done, put in place, in the last year that you really enjoy/like?
Email me with your responses.

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>